Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Hi Mo,

Do you think that would work for wood pigeons, ?we are plagued with them and they take a lot of the bird food, even from the feeders, they are not daft. A part from shooting them, any ideas please?.

Yes - bigger gun. The little b@stards stripped the plum tree bare in 30 minutes (again), breaking half the branches in the process. I'm getting an air rifle.....:Angry:

Luckily the tree rats only go in the oak tree out the front.... Good device, Mo :thumb:

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
I found that a simple way to thwart them was to suspend the feeders from a branch using piano wire. The little sods can't get a grip to get down. Also if you have feeders on steel posts. I found that a liberal coating of grease did the trick. Just make sure that the grease goes far enough up so that the squirrels can't jump above it.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Also if you have feeders on steel posts. I found that a liberal coating of grease did the trick. Just make sure that the grease goes far enough up so that the squirrels can't jump above it.
Lemonade bottles with the bottom cut out and threaded onto the pole so far up and taped on works a treat too, the little sods can't get past it! :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
We have a n old apple tree in the garden a worcester permain, I think. In 14 years we have never got an apple before the squirrels stripped the unripe ones from the tree before they are anywhere near grown.
They have stripped the branches of the oak and ash trees in the wood next to our house and have done the same to our newly planted apple trees.
Will try the paint lid and grease tips though.

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
We have a n old apple tree in the garden a worcester permain, I think. In 14 years we have never got an apple before the squirrels stripped the unripe ones from the tree before they are anywhere near grown.
They have stripped the branches of the oak and ash trees in the wood next to our house and have done the same to our newly planted apple trees.
Will try the paint lid and grease tips though.

The paint lid`s, definately work... :thumb:

But make sure the feeder is out of jumping distance ...

Mel B.. (Minx ).... Plastic bottle sounds good too... worth a try... :thumb:

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
If they're Greys... :Angry:

They are lovely roasted... Allegedly... :thumb:

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09

Hung it from a tree out of jumping distance of the squirrel`s ..

And it works.. :thumb: the squirrels climb down the steel rod, step on the plastic lid which tips and they have given up... :Cool::thumb:::bigsmile:[/COLOR]

Sounds ideal for my location. I have a tree which overhangs a beck (small river) and if I can give the bu$$ers a dousing they might go elsewhere.:Smile:

Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
487228_498511943547896_1588887193_n.jpg

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Unfortunately, all those of you advocating or building some sort of Squirrel Launcher device as a solution - you are simply giving squirrels ideas, and aiding evolution...

NORTHERN-FLYING-SQUIRREL-3.jpg

:Doh:

Be afraid, be very afraid...

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
squirrels

By far the most successful thing we have come across are the squirrel domes which you can put over the feed so the squirrel cannot get down to the food or on the pole under the feed to stop them getting up to it.

Since we installed our one the squirrels have not got any food. You have to make sure that the feeder is far enough away from somewhere the squirrels can jump to the feeder from.

Broken Link Removed

Our squirrels occasionally go to the bottom of the pole look up and see the large dome, like the one in the picture, and give up. We don't need the small one in the illustration but it would stop them climbing down a long string provided they cannot jump from somewhere close by.

Even stops our pure white squirrel.

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
Just get some Magpies to nest in your trees... :thumb:::bigsmile::winky:

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
If setting a btrap for the little gits

3=1 Pie

Best bait Crocus Bulbs
a friend who is a keen gardener caught 180 in 12 months.

51cGYK5yXaL._SS40_.jpg

Sorry, this item is not available in
Image not available for
Colour:

Image not available

Broken Link Removed

Roll over image to zoom in
See 1 customer image
Share your own customer images

a.slateLink:link{ color: rgb(119,119,119); text-decoration:none;} a.slateLink:active { color: rgb(119,119,119); text-decoration:none;} a.slateLink:visited{ color: rgb(119,119,119); text-decoration:none;} a.slateLink:hover{ color: rgb(119,119,119); text-decoration:none;} .shuttleGradient { float:left; width:100%; text-align:left; line-height: normal; position:relative; height:43px; background-color:#dddddd; background-image: url(http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/imag...omerimage/shuttle-gradient._V192198912_.gif); background-position: bottom; background-repeat : repeat-x; } .shuttleTextTop { font-size:18px; font-weight:bold; font-family:verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif; color: rgb(119,119,119); margin-left:10px; } .shuttleTextBottom { margin-top:-2px; font-size:15px; font-family:verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif; color: rgb(119,119,119); margin-left:10px; } .outercenterslate{ cursor:pointer; } .innercenterslate{ overflow: hidden; } .slateoverlay{ position: absolute; top: 0px; border: 0px } .centerslate { display: table-cell; background-color:black; text-align: center; vertical-align: middle; } .centerslate * { vertical-align: middle; } .centerslate { display/*\**/: block\9 } /*\*//*/ .centerslate { display: block; } .centerslate span { display: inline-block; height: 100%; width: 1px; } /**/

Defenders Rat and Squirrel Cage Trap

by STV International
3.7 out of 5 stars See all reviews (15 customer reviews)
15 Reviews
5 star:
(7) 4 star:
(2) 3 star:
(2) 2 star:
(2) 1 star:
(2)
See all 15 customer reviews...

RRP: £18.99 Price: £13.81 & FREE Delivery in the UK. Details Deal Price: You Save: £5.18 (27%) o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o
In stock.
Dispatched from and sold by Amazon. Gift-wrap available.
Want it tomorrow, 28 May? Order it within 5 hrs 25 mins and choose One-Day Delivery at checkout.
Details

• 40 x 16 x 16cm
  • Ready-to-use cage trap that is easy to bait and set
  • Informative pack design with comprehensive instructions
  • Long-lasting galvanised mesh design
  • Solid top and carrier handle for easy handling

See more product details

:whatthe::whatthe:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-li...w?ie=UTF8&condition=new&qid=1401193952&sr=8-2

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just get some Magpies to nest in your trees... :thumb:::bigsmile::winky:

Don't talk to me about those *********!!!! :Angry:

The sods have learned how to nick the fat balls off the feeder frame (same as the one in the photo above with the 'domes' on), they can pull them up, even on string, and manage to get them off and fly away with them intact ... the flying ****!!!! We got through loads before hubby saw them doing it!!!! :Angry::Angry::Angry::Angry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back