Squeaks and rattles - your solutions (1 Viewer)

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Although I have made a number of postings in this forum, I think I am still green enough to make a request in the Beginners section.

We have just completed our first tour, a 1000 mile trip in Scotland that went brilliantly. But I wonder what Funsters "Top Tips" have for reducing the squeaks and rattles caused by pots and pans, plates, bottles and cans etc.

We bought a roll of bubble wrap, and that certainly helped. How do YOU carry your pans and things like that? Do you use bubble wrap, or do you have any brilliant ideas for storing for the road? We got back today, and I had a look around the accessories section of a caravan shop, but saw nothing I thought of as particularly clever.

Steve

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
well my solution is sell the camper n get a 5er .cant hear the rattles now. but be careful when opening the door or cupboards lots fall out if not carefull. other wise use supermarket carriers etc to stuff between things that rattle. have fun . cheers alan.

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
what rattle squeaks and bangs, get an old van like ours, you can't even hear yourself think above the noise of the engine, hee hee

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0

david price

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Bridgenorth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
5 years
Bubble wrap certainly helps.Dont keep them in the oven,low down cupboards are best.
If youre any good at diy,have a look at how the cupboards on the inside are made?I found alot of wasted space put rubber down on floor and pots and pans go on that,big difference.
dave
Ps also check door lock catches on cuboards,mine all had slight movement when shut so adjusted catches and catch plates so there was no movement.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
:thumb:Non slip matting cut to suit. £1 a roll from the cheap shops:thumb:

:thumb:pipe lagging on the wardrbe rail stops hangers rattling and sliding about.:thumb:

Gag the missus....oooops she saw that:Blush::ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Get some of the sponge bathroom flooring [sold in accessory shops] line cupboard floors through, 2 layers if you can afford it. Try to get as many pots and pans that will fit inside each other, go to local oxfam shop by up old tea towels wrap pots and fit inside each other, place in cupboards as close as possible.
Anything that can be noisy, again wrap in tea towels.
We have found that tea towels when wrapped round lose objects make good noise stoppers, and cheap to. They don't have to be best quality and can also come in handy for mopping spills etc. easily washed and replaced if required.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
men never hear rattle squeaks and bangs when driving .they turn of hearing when better half is sat in passenger seat:Eeek:

Upvote 0

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi Steve we rap the grill pan up in a towel in the oven that helps, also put cushions in draws it helps to keep the noise down, the Bessacarr we had was very noisy, but the new Chausson is very quiet in comparison. Pete:thumb:

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Build your own van :thumb: no rattles or squeaks :thumb::thumb::ROFLMAO:
ksebruce, has hit it on the head, or should that be Mrs ksebruce :ROFLMAO:
terry

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
tea towels between pots and pans.

thin foam (2 or 3 mm) between plates etc and under the hob grid and glass cover, grill pan grid and the sink cover.
put elastic bands around around cutlery and foam in the drawer bottom.

eventually you get sick of doing it and dont bother.....a bit like tinitus....you get used to it to an extent.

the only thing i can find and cure is the annoying squeak from the overcab bed......does my 'ead in:Angry:

Upvote 0

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Non-slip mat (about £1 in the pound shop :RollEyes:) double sided taped (or stapled) to bottom of cupboards. Smallish pieces between plates, pans, bowls. Oven glove round rack in grill pan which rests on a piece of the non-slip in the oven. Tea towels folded over cutlery, glassesand mugs in glass/mug holders, wine and brandy glasses into glass-clips in cocktail cabinet, bottles of gin and wine in specialy shaped cut-outs (one for Plymouth Gin, and two or three for brandy and wine (make one a bit larger for litre bottles) bottle clips for any other bottles.
Stick on plastic pads (most homeware shops sell a little plastic packet with about half a dozen in for ridiculously high prices) where doors meet the doorframes (top and bottom).

Or altenatively Mack's children's earplugs | Hearing protection for children | Sleeping - custom ear plugs. Ideal for musicans offering perfect comfort - Mack's :roflmto:

John

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
eventually you get sick of doing it and dont bother.....a bit like tinitus....you get used to it to an extent.

Have you got it as well pappajohn, I started with tinnitus last November and it's steadily getting worse, permanent high pitched wistling in both ears.

John.

Upvote 0
S

stagman

Deleted User
Although I have made a number of postings in this forum, I think I am still green enough to make a request in the Beginners section.

We have just completed our first tour, a 1000 mile trip in Scotland that went brilliantly. But I wonder what Funsters "Top Tips" have for reducing the squeaks and rattles caused by pots and pans, plates, bottles and cans etc.

A bit of Black Sabbath usually does it for me . On the other hand I purchased a pack of fibre stick on pads , and used them for any door or cuboard closures .:thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
steveclecy

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Grateful to all posters - given thanks to the practical suggestions, and had a giggle at the not-so. Even got thanks for posting the question!

Steve

Upvote 0

Patrick

Free Member
Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
use a bungie wrapped around the rail in a wardrobe then use plastic ties every 3" and put your hangers in between the bungie and the rail...works well for the rattles and stops the hangers coming of the rail and your nice ironed shirt ending up in a pile with everything else that juped of the rail over the first bump!

Upvote 0

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
Hi and welcome from some other newbies! The first trip away I thought that the van was going to drop to pieces with all the rattles etc! Found that silicone sheets used for baking are great under the grill pan - you dont have to take it out as it is heat proof and therefore there is no risk of fire as may be the case if you use teacloths etc

Picked up in the local £ shop a few square silicone pads that were advertised for use as oven mitts etc They are multifunctional and stop things sliding around too. The rolls of non slip matting are good too and the best bargin was in Tesco where a large mat for use in the boot of the car was just £5 and can be cut to size for a variety of uses - shower mat to lining cupboard to stop things sliding around.

You do get used to the noise eventually as I dont think you can ever get rid of it completly. We get our new mh tomorrow and I guess the rattles will be less as we have discovered that 80% of the things we had in our present one will not be transferred to the new one!:Smile:

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
The latest noise I have stopped was from the skylight blinds and flyscreens. The cord/wire they run along rattles a lot(at least on the big skylight) so we now travel with the blind 1/3 across and the flyscreen 1/3 across.

After this most of the noise is now wind noise from the big window over the front seats, only really kicks in at 50 mph+.

Rgds
Bill

Upvote 0
Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
I used to laugh at my Dad years ago when my parents went from tenting to small motorhomes - every cupboard had pieces of foam in it, cut to size to fit around whatever lived in that cupboard, to avoid rattles.

Maybe my hearing is less sensitive, or maybe it's just that my vans have been much older so make more noise anyway, but I haven't had as much of a problem with rattles.

One thing I do is put all electricals e.g. TV, solar lights, kettle, slo cooker, leccy hob, fan heater etc in cheap cool bags, these protect them from bumps, keep flexes from getting tangled, and help to stop rattles.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back