Sprung mattress

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Melvin, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Melvin

Melvin Funster

MY new MH which is only 1 month old has a sprung mattress which has been slept on for 18 nights .its developed a significant dip already ,I'm only 14st , surly this shouldn't be happening so soon . Should I contact my dealer or the manufacturer ?
    Must say I becoming a little dis appointed With this new MH a s I've got quite a list that needs attention ,it's booked in with the dealer to have these done later this month .:cry:

• Like Like x 2
  2. Figaro

Figaro Funster

What is it ?

3. Melvin

Melvin Funster

It's a Bailey 765

4. Foghorn Leghorn

Foghorn Leghorn Funster

Yep our mattress is 18 months old done 200 + nights away and its sagging quite badly , I'll be replacing it when we sell it in October as it's badly out of shape

5. denisejoe

denisejoe Funster Life Member

After only 18 nights it definitely needs to be replaced. It should last longer than the equivalent of 2.5 weeks. Contact the dealer - your contract is with them not the manufacturer; it is for the dealer to take it up with them.

Good luck with getting everything sorted.

Denise

• Like Like x 2
  6. Melvin

Melvin Funster

Have you contacted Bailey or the dealer and if so what was their response. I'm only asking as I expect them to denie that there is anything wrong with the mattress, but if I know that other people have had problems I will be able to argue with them that it's not fit for use .

7. Foghorn Leghorn

Foghorn Leghorn Funster

Hi Melvin I haven't spoken to my dealer who incidently are good at sorting out issues but I suspect after 18 months there will be no comeback .
    We have been in Spain for 4 months but the sagging has only really become more apparent fairly recently.

P.s I'm not the lightest of souls so I'm guessing that has contributed to the problem
    Having said that our mattress at home is still good after 3 years but it was was quality

8. travelling wilbury

travelling wilbury Funster

no way that this should be happenning after so few nights.....speak to the dealer for sure....and youre not 'heavy' by many standards....

however, for perspective...... haven't times changed...

2016.."im only 14st....."....88.9kg
    1964..Ali became world heavyweight champion weighing in at 95 kg.....just 6kg in it......

if you told the dealer that Ali and Liston had spent 18 nights on the bed, i wonder what his reaction might be.....:unsure:

only kidding but i wonder if mattresses have 'moved with the times'?:)

• Like Like x 1
  9. crabman

crabman Funster

Most mattresses are imported from China these day to save money

10. jaytee74

jaytee74 Read Only Funster

11. jaytee74

jaytee74 Read Only Funster

i used to be in the bedding trade sounds to me like child gauge springing is been used a higher gauge spring should have been used suitable for adults.

12. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

I will always remember my gran's advice....

always buy the best shoes and mattress you can afford and never scrimp on quality. both effect your health and well-being

my opinion is van mattresses are not fit for purpose, so buy quality replacements

• Like Like x 1
  13. crabman

crabman Funster

JA how many years ago were you in the bedding trade?

14. TrickyDicky123

TrickyDicky123

Can someone please tell me if the memory foam mattresses generates much heat? I have heard memory foam is very warm.

Many thanks

15. Melvin

Melvin Funster

I see this thread has been revived again so I thought I would up date it.Bailey relented eventually and sent us a new mattress to replace the oringnal, now a couple of months on and the new one has sagged just as the original.We are not sure what to do now as I think they are just not fit for purpose and any replacement from Bailey be exactly the same.

16. Vanman

Vanman Funster

Not an expert on the subject but discussed them with sellers ... generally they need air to breath underneath so ok on slats but not board. Also there are many different qualities and the cheaper ones seem to be more prone to overheating. But then sellers would say that!

17. Teuchter

Teuchter Funster

We bought sprung mattresses for our new motorhome and they are far better than the standard foam ones - no sign of sagging after about 100 nights away :)

18. Dorwyn

Dorwyn Funster

We have a 6-month old Trigano Tribute 670 pvc. The mattress (seat bases) are foam, and they have sagged badly. Having looked inside them, the foam appears to be poor quality low density, just plain white stuff. The slatted base is just fine. We have a combined weight of about 22 stone, but have probably spent 60 or more nights on it. Not the same quality as a sprung mattress, but even so it shouldn't sag like that. But the issue is the same, in as much as even if the supplier does replace them, they'll only sag in a few months' time. They are not fit for the task. Where do you stand (perhaps that's a bad phrase to use, where do you lay?)

19. Vanman

Vanman Funster

Well we've tried out the beds on 14 MH and none of the beds were soft enough for us - some of it's personal choice I suppose, so we'll be looking to change the mattress after a week! You have to give it a try I suppose ... some of the things we're looking at are -

Froli Stars
    Duvalay toppers
    Jonic mattresses

Jonic have a database of MH's so for most you just tell them what your MH is and choice of mattress is and they already have the dimensions.

20. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Depends entirely on the quality cheap do get very hot and uncomfortable. The cold formed 7 zone ones in our van are fine even when temps in the 30's. Better than the sprung one in the last Hymer, that was still as good as new after 6 years.