Sprung mattress anyone ?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Jaws, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Seriously thinking of dumping the foam mattress out of the cab over, along with the memory foam 90mm topper ( which weighs a great deal to say theleast ! )

I want to replace both with a 'normal' sprung mattress ..
    Anyone ever done this and or what are the thoughts you have ?

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Hi

Three things to consider, the extra thickness, the weight but most importantly ... condensation .. read on ..

Just after going full time we decided to treat ourselves to a new mattress and with no expense spared purchased a VI pocket sprung mattress, got it in a sale, ex demo , it cost £1400 .. , reduced from £2k .. What a great mattress, it was like sleeping in heaven .. getting it into the RV was a job in itself, what a weight ..

After about a year we decided to turn it, even though the label said ' No Need To Turn ' and in the confines of an RV bedroom, no mean feat..

What a shock, horror :Eek!: .. it was black with mould and the underside material and padding had rotted through, completely exposing the spings .. :Eeek:

I purchased bedding padding and material and effected a decent repair .. then fitted bedding slats to allow air to circulated under the mattress ..

Of course, we were full time, condensation may not be such an issue for holiday use.. but still worth thinking about

3. chesterfield hooligan

chesterfield hooligan Funster

:Rofl1:Me think's you have to much money :Rofl1:

4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I used to have... but not any more ... the RV was like a bottomless pit to throw money down :Sad:.. back to tenting :thumb:

and the mattress, well, that now lives in the house :Cool:

5. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Well as I sleep alone up there, I was planning to replace the double bed foam and double bed topper with a 'single bed' mattress

The height is not an issue as the topper and existing foam is quite thick already..

However, the damp is a worry and I appreciate the heads up on that Jim...

6. Braunston

Braunston Read Only Funster

Hi,

We changed the over garage bed mattress from a foam one to a sprung type from IKEA as they do some odd sizes in lengths, widths and depths, and they are quiet reasonable.

It has worked very well for the last 3 years, 100 times better than the foam type, we have slats under the mattress and there is a small heater duct that pumps air under the mattress when the blown heating is on, so no problems with mold.

I know they(Medical proffession) always suggest you get an orthopedic type mattress which are normally very firm, we have done that in the past but they always seem far to hard to sleep on, so as the bases on both the boat and motorhome are unsprung (just the slats) we have now gone for the softest mattress and its gives us a far better nights sleep, not suggesting that you ignore the advice about orthopedic mattresses etc. but we did and its far better.

Just reread your thread, I would think about it carefully before changing from a double to a single, I find most single beds far to narrow.

7. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

In my past I used to sell beds and furniture, and Jim is correct in saying about the need for ventilation under a spring mattress.

The current method is to place spring slats underneath, solid wood slats work as well as long as you have an 1" of airspace underneath.

I remember on one van I hired they had made a platform with a twin weld mesh the rigid metal that us used in animal cages, with enough support this seemed to work well, and the owner said that since using this method he had never any more trouble on any of his hire fleet.

Dave :thumb::thumb: