Sprinter Auto Box's

Discussion in 'Mercedes' started by Biggles, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Biggles

Biggles Funster

Hello

I took a 312 with an auto box out for a test drive the other day. It was generall OK but did not go into top until I reached 60mph. Once there is was doing 60 at 3000 rpm. Is this normal? Bear in mind this is a 2.9 5 cylinder engine.

FYI this was a base vehicle for home conversion project.

2. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

cant help but just wanted to say Welcome to motorhome fun xxxxxxxxxxx

3. Biggles

Biggles Funster

Many thanks for the welcome :Smile:

4. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

I assume you tried backing off the gas to make it drop into top gear earlier if you were gunning it that would keep it in the lower gear, if you did back off and it wouldn't change up, give it a miss.
    We are doing a Fiat fifth gear swop for a member next week, he wants a higher top end speed with lower revs, he was quoting 3000 rpm at 60mph and said it sounds harsh, other similar vans were only pulling 2500or less at 60.
    I don't know if such a conversion is viable or affordable in a Sprinter Auto I would think not
    Geo

5. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

That does sound like a report I read some time ago on the 312 auto box, sorry can't remember where.

Oh by the way WELCOME to MH Fun

Dave:thumb::thumb:

6. davejen

davejen Funster

Hi, Biggles, my mirage is based on the merc 412 -same 2.9 engine but it goes in top at 30MPH, it is automatic so I would be wary of that one. By the way it's not a K/M speedo is it ? as 60 km/hour is about 35mph. Might be worth checking!
    Welcome to the fun you'll find plenty help &advice on here.
    Cheers, Dave:thumb:

7. Biggles

Biggles Funster

I am sorry it was a 416 not a 316, but what's in a couple of wheels :RollEyes:

The guy selling it reckoned it was normal for it, and has bills for a £3k bill for a rebuild last year. He said it was the old style that worked on vacuum, but that there was an electronic retro available.

I drive an auto in my car and am used to it, but it is a modern 5 speed in a BMW so I suppose things have moved on a bit.

It was a MPH speedo, and at 3000 rpm it was a tad wearing even on a short test drive.

Maybe one to leave?

8. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

I have a 316 with 5-speed auto and it is in top by around 35 - 40 mph (unless you have your foot down hard in which case it will hold for a bit longer).
    The engine in a 316 / 416 is a 2.7 litre 5-pot CDI, not a 2.9. Power is 160 bhp (156 rounded up) hence the *16 part of the numbering.

The 416 has smaller wheels than the 316 (14" versus 15" I believe). This will make it rev higher for the same speed, but the auto should then shift up even earlier.

Philip

9. Biggles

Biggles Funster

Hi Philip

This was an old one on a T or Y plate so it was pre CDi

Interesting about the wheel size. this could possibly be used to gear up the final drive if there is arch room?

Biggles