springs failed within a week of one anothe (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
fiat X 250, say no more. BUSBY:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
It happens, springs break! A member on here had a rear spring on a Merc based motorhome snap in the night, I know because I replaced both rear springs for him. What I find more concerning is that the first spring breakage was fixed but only the broken spring was replaced and not its counterpart. All suspension units like springs and dampers should only ever be replaced in axle pairs. I've also known Ford springs to break as well as Peugeot Citroen and many other makes.

D.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
It happens, springs break! A member on here had a rear spring on a Merc based motorhome snap in the night, I know because I replaced both rear springs for him. What I find more concerning is that the first spring breakage was fixed but only the broken spring was replaced and not its counterpart. All suspension units like springs and dampers should only ever be replaced in axle pairs. I've also known Ford springs to break as well as Peugeot Citroen and many other makes.

D.

I agree, I have seen broken spring on various makes of cars vans & trucks, it's not that unusual. Also agree that they should both be replaced at the same time.

dogman

Free Member
Oct 24, 2013
chepstow
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I'm a newbie

D.
This is correct, one spring breaks then replace BOTH springs on that axle.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Broken springs have been reported for years on many makes of car, but it would be interesting to see if there are any entries in the blog of similar Fiat van owners experiences with broken springs
I haven't looked at the blog
Allan

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
As a retired engineer with many years of experience I have seen loads of broken springs. They break, fact, sometimes for no apparent reason. Nothing to do with Fiat, Ford, Mercedes or any other van maker. They don't make the springs. A few years ago it became apparent that somebody in Europe was manufacturing poor springs, don't know who but it seems there are still some around.

Rgds
Bill

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
On a previous work van, I required a front strut due to leakage.
You guessed it! Only the one was changed, the tech acknowledged it wasn't right, but that was Ford's warranty condition!
Later, after many miles, the rear springs were changed due to a bent leaf.

Nothing unusual about the OP folks!

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
I was an MOT tester(sorry) from 1978 until I retired in 2010, and saw hundreds of broken springs, all across the board, certain vehicles, cars and vans you paid extra attention to the springs as they were prone to breaking and some were hard to see as well.
VW transporter rears were prone to breaking as well as Merc Sprinters, a particular fault on Boxer vans was the front upper strut bearings seizing up, even when regularly used, a common fault on them.
I would say most makes of cars and vans are prone to some faults, anything that gets used and abused can and do fail. Sod's law.!!

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
springs break on all vehicles ive brought many lorries home with a block wedged between the axle and chassis

lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
and you get some nice cars like a mondeo and the first sign of a broken front broken spring is a flat tyre :Eeek: so not only do you have a spring to buy you have a tyre with a nice big tear in it,

I did a tranny van a few years ago and the rear leaf springs where plastic:Eeek: (well some composite stuff) surely thats for snow skis lol

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back