Spring enhancers

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by AndyP, Apr 4, 2016.

1. AndyP

AndyP Read Only Funster

I am considering fitting spring enhancers on our Swift Sundace 630G motorhome. Its 2002 vintage and 6.9 metres long with a large garage and a cycle rack and the rear leaf springs are still slightly concave even when fully loaded…but only just. Are there any views out there about what if any benefits theya set of spring enhancers might bring. There is no issues about wanting to increase the weight limit. I am favouring spring enhancers over an air suspension option because they appear easier to install and appear maintenance free.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

If you mean an extra short leaf it may make the rear end firmer and the ride a bit more harsh.
    Air assist is adjustable so can be set to a more acceptable amount of assistance.

3. icantremember

icantremember Funster

I agree with PJ above ... an adjustable air ride is probably the way to go.

I have AS-Airsuspension system fitted which has a built in compressor making it adjustable from the driving position while on the move.

PS :HelloThere: & :pink:

4. robrace

robrace Funster

I have a Ford Transit that had the same problem,I bought off Ebay an air suspension kit for about £300 and fitted it myself.Easy job.I had fitted air suspension assist to an older Transit many years ago and have found the benefit is great.I didn't go for the kit with a compressor as I have found once you have found the ideal setting leave it alone unless you are all loaded up.It only takes a few mins to blow up using a foot pump!Makes a lot of difference on the road.Much more stable!!Does'nt wallow around like it used to when overtaking lorries etc.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

Mmm needs to warm up a bit to really enhance the spring:)

6. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

if the springs are sagging adding bits is not the answer. drop the springs off and get them remade or replaced. last time i checked you could buy new uprated leaf springs for about £80 a side including new bushes

7. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

8. AndyP

AndyP Read Only Funster

Thanks to all for the above. I initially thought about air suspension…Marcle leisure is not far from us…the unit is much the same cost as spring assisters but it was the expense of the compressor that I wanted to avoid. If they work fine without as Robrace says then I will think again. Take care.

• Like Like x 1
  9. robrace

robrace Funster

They do work fine without a compressor!!I put the valve for mine at the rear of the vehicle.Just attatch a foot pump if you want to increase pressure and a few pumps and all done.I found mine works fine at about 20lbs.any higher and suspension gets too hard.When I tow my racing car on its' trailer I do go up to 30lbs.But normally once pumped up just leave alone.Unless you are changing your load all the time you find the pressure that suits you and that's it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. stcyr

stcyr Funster

Grayston Spring Assisters. (Google it)

Fitted a set 5 or so years ago.

Transformed ride/roundabout lean/steering etc.

Completely maintenance free.