Free Member
Apr 3, 2016
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2013
I am considering fitting spring enhancers on our Swift Sundace 630G motorhome. Its 2002 vintage and 6.9 metres long with a large garage and a cycle rack and the rear leaf springs are still slightly concave even when fully loaded…but only just. Are there any views out there about what if any benefits theya set of spring enhancers might bring. There is no issues about wanting to increase the weight limit. I am favouring spring enhancers over an air suspension option because they appear easier to install and appear maintenance free.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If you mean an extra short leaf it may make the rear end firmer and the ride a bit more harsh.
Air assist is adjustable so can be set to a more acceptable amount of assistance.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I agree with PJ above ... an adjustable air ride is probably the way to go.

I have AS-Airsuspension system fitted which has a built in compressor making it adjustable from the driving position while on the move.

PS :HelloThere: & :pink:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 31, 2014
Stratford-upon-Avon, UK
Funster No
MH
BUCCANEER CARAVEL
Exp
SINCE 1975
I have a Ford Transit that had the same problem,I bought off Ebay an air suspension kit for about £300 and fitted it myself.Easy job.I had fitted air suspension assist to an older Transit many years ago and have found the benefit is great.I didn't go for the kit with a compressor as I have found once you have found the ideal setting leave it alone unless you are all loaded up.It only takes a few mins to blow up using a foot pump!Makes a lot of difference on the road.Much more stable!!Does'nt wallow around like it used to when overtaking lorries etc.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
if the springs are sagging adding bits is not the answer. drop the springs off and get them remade or replaced. last time i checked you could buy new uprated leaf springs for about £80 a side including new bushes

OP
OP
A

AndyP

Free Member
Apr 3, 2016
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks to all for the above. I initially thought about air suspension…Marcle leisure is not far from us…the unit is much the same cost as spring assisters but it was the expense of the compressor that I wanted to avoid. If they work fine without as Robrace says then I will think again. Take care.

Mar 31, 2014
Stratford-upon-Avon, UK
Funster No
MH
BUCCANEER CARAVEL
Exp
SINCE 1975
They do work fine without a compressor!!I put the valve for mine at the rear of the vehicle.Just attatch a foot pump if you want to increase pressure and a few pumps and all done.I found mine works fine at about 20lbs.any higher and suspension gets too hard.When I tow my racing car on its' trailer I do go up to 30lbs.But normally once pumped up just leave alone.Unless you are changing your load all the time you find the pressure that suits you and that's it.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Grayston Spring Assisters. (Google it)

Fitted a set 5 or so years ago.

Transformed ride/roundabout lean/steering etc.

Completely maintenance free.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back