Apr 27, 2009
Departed Cabopino in Oct 17
Funster No
MH
Dakota
Exp
Fulltiming from 2010- 2017
Hi All,

Can anyone let me know of any issues, problems when passing thru the bit of Bosnia on the coast road from Split to Dubrovnic? Is it straightforward? I have heard of travellers taking the ferry to avoid the frontier. Is that really necessary?

Also, has anyone caught the ferry from Dubrovnic to Bari? If so, is it straightforward & approximate cost?

Cheers

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I believe the problem is that no insurance company will cover Bosnia, so therefore you are on your own as they say.

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
As mentioned it is the insurance problem. The twice I have done it I have used the ferry, no need to book.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
Hi again

I just tried looking up the data I have for the Dubrovnic to Bari ferry, I have done it twice but do not have the costs with me at the moment as I am not at home (will be at base later). I booked it on line from the Uk although some were booking localy and it was not full (September). The web site would give the costs http://www.jadrolinija.hr/default.aspx?lang=2

Last year the Polace to Tripan ferry cost me £28.71 for a 5m MH & one person.

walmic

Free Member
Jun 15, 2010
bridlington
Funster No
MH
swift sundance
Exp
No problem---only about 12 miles---very little traffic---at least in may!

Do like all the rest----go for it!!!

Can i recommend a wonderful c/site at dubrovnik----camp kate, 3 miles south near milini----small, family run. Other is the large, but quite ok camping solitudo---20minutes walk into old town.

If you want something different, go into montenegro---we did for 2 weeks round kotor fjord--absolutely stunning, there are 2 camps, both basic, or you can wild camp anywhere perfectly safely round the fjord, and use local bars for loo, water etc.

kotor is miles better than dubrovnik, kotor is original, dubrovnik rebuilt after the wars in the 1990's.

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
We loved Kotor as well. Dubrovnick without the rebuilding and the tourists and a really challenging city wall to walk which climbs the precipitous fiord!:thumb:

Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
Decided on talking to a friend of mine today, who lives in Bulgaria that I would like to visit. Have a yen to go around the boot of Italy before crossing over to Bulgaria - got a dog with me so need to stay in EU countries - any thoughts anyone?

The maps I have are just that little bit unclear to try and plan a route so hoping that some of you more knowledgable folk can point me in the right direction. Will return via Romania, Hungary Germany etc. Had thought of Bari to Durres but that puts me in Albania which is not EU. :cry: Decisions, decisions.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
We have to drive out to St Vlas near Sunny Beach Bulgaria in May and are going Germany-Austria-Croatia-Serbia-Bulgaria. The alternative if you wish to stay in the EU is Germany-Austria-Hungary-Romania-Bulgaria. There is of course the Italian ferries into Greece and come into Bulgaria on that route. I reckon on about 3 days going on Croatia-Serb route.

Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
I think I could cut across from Italy into Austria Croatia and down that way - I think the ferries will take too long - thinking of 18 hours for the dog on board. But thanks for that Snowbird!

My problem is that Storm has not had her blood tests done and her next rabies jab is only due begining of November. I will have to have it done this time around as she is going with me to Morocco. Didn't expect to travel so far afield when I first started planning all this! :D

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
We did this last summer. We were told you could buy insurance at the border - well we couldn't. Rather than take the risk we decided to get the roll on roll off ferry from PLOCE over to Peljesac Island and travel on from there to Dubrovnik. The ferry was £35 one way (we are 7.5mtr long) and takes 1 1/4 hrs. It was a very pleasant trip and we were glad we included it in our itinerary. We stayed at Autocamp Perna on the north of the island and traveled through STON on the way down which was an interesting town to stop in.
Have a look at my blog which tells all the places we stopped at on our way down through Germany,Switzerland.Italy,Slovenia to Croatia & back again!

homercostello

Free Member
Jul 11, 2010
kidsgrove staffs
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs globetrotter
Exp
9 years
Bosnia not a problem when we went eighteen months ago we are insured with the caravan club and i phoned them and they sent me a green card. your soon back into Croatia just follow the coast road. we also camped at camping kate small site and a short walk down to the beach.:thumb:

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Bosnia not a problem when we went eighteen months ago we are insured with the caravan club and i phoned them and they sent me a green card. your soon back into Croatia just follow the coast road. we also camped at camping kate small site and a short walk down to the beach.:thumb:

That is unusual as we tried several different insurance companies and they all said the same thing - OK for everywhere else but no way would they cover us for Bosnia:Eeek:

Scotties

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
Hi, we had no problem with getting a green card either.

Section 145, subsection 3b, of the Road Traffic Act 1988 (RTA 1988) as amended by the Road Traffic Act 1991 (RTA 1991), effectivelly states that your UK car insurance policy will, by law, also cover you when driving abroad in the EU and in certain other countries.

The bit across Bosnia is short and not that busy. As the Green Card normally only gives TPO cover, I do carry a spare tyre, inflating system and jack with me although ADAC does cover all these countries including Bosnia.

Croatia is considered by many as the undiscovered Jewel of Europe, certainly the coast road from Sibernic down has the wow factor on every turn. The Sibernic coast park is great do'nt miss the Pitvice Lakes National Park.:thumb:

Richard

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back