split charge to 2x leasure batteries (1 Viewer)

Wild Oggie

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E462
Exp
Mid 70's
Hi,
I have 1x 110amp leasure battery being charged by a 30amp split charge relay connected to the van battery, protected by 2x20 amp fuses with 30amp wire.
Recently changed fridges to a waeco 12v version and want to add another 110amp leasure battery in parallel

Would I need to upgrade the relay, or would the present one do the job ok

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Hi,
I have 1x 110amp leasure battery being charged by a 30amp split charge relay connected to the van battery, protected by 2x20 amp fuses with 30amp wire.
Recently changed fridges to a waeco 12v version and want to add another 110amp leasure battery in parallel

Would I need to upgrade the relay, or would the present one do the job ok
I have six leisure and one engine starter battery on our narrowboat. They all work fine through the one split charge relay. The relay is passing current in one direction only, namely from the alternator, the maximum output of which is unaffected by the number of batteries you have on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Converters use a 30amp relay as they are the commonest and most readily available one there is.
Your alternator will never put 30 amps through the relay.

Al1

Free Member
Jul 20, 2008
Funster No
Converters use a 30amp relay as they are the commonest and most readily available one there is.
Your alternator will never put 30 amps through the relay.

Even with 2 flat 110A batteries? Asking as I have mine wired with 3mm2 cable and was worried that it was undersized. If I can add a second battery then it would be ideal.

Al

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back