Split charge relay on chausson 510

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Alonsos, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Alonsos

Alonsos Funster

does anyone know where the split charge relay is on chausson 510 , eng battery flat as a rat & not taking a charge from 240v mains so looking for relay,
    It may not even have one ? The so called user manual is as good as a chocolate fire guard
    Not charged with my batt charger yet as still looking for the elusive relay
    It's a new van & shortly ringing dealer

2. chaser

chaser Funster

Don't know anything about new vans , but on ours the hookup does not charge the engine battery any time.

3. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

I'd have thought it was turned on/off from the control panel ¿

4. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi the relay is usually for taking charge from the alternator to the fridge and or if twin relay will charge L/Batts as well --You could possibly have a connection from the control panel /van charger to the engine battery but if this is present you would/should have a switch to set L/B or engine batt on the control panel -Relay's are usually very close to engine battery (small black -ish box about the size of matchbox with wires coming out and poss fuses close by );)
    terry

5. TheCaller

TheCaller Funster

Not all vans have systems that charge both the habitation & the engine battery while on EHU. Some only charge the habitation battery.

Even if both batteries are supposed to be charged, it's unlikely to be a separate relay. It is usually part of the overall 12V control system (such as a Schaudt Electrobloc).

If your van's system turns out to be one that isn't designed to charge the engine battery while on hookup, you need a Battery Master (or equivalent). That provides a trickle charge from your habitation battery while it is being charged to the engine battery to keep it topped up.

The Battery Master is available from Jim's shop (see advert top right & if he is able to ship while in Spain) or from VanBitz (with Funster discount). See the Subscriber discount page for details.

As you say, the dealer is your first port of call to find out what it should be doing.

6. Geordies

Geordies Funster

On our bestof10 it does charge both batteries on hook up. I think on hook up the charge is organised by the black coloured charger located next to the 240v fuse board next to the hot water heater. When driving the batteries are charged via the two white coloured relays in the lower locker just behind the drivers seat.

7. Geordies

Geordies Funster

On our bestof10 it does charge both batteries on hook up. I think on hook up the charge is organised by the black coloured charger located next to the 240v fuse board next to the hot water heater. When driving the batteries are charged via the two white coloured relays in the lower locker just behind the drivers seat.

8. Alonsos

Alonsos Funster

I agree re the panel control it should be there as my previous vans were but being new van (and more advanced !! it's not got the pick which to charge function) as was always useful.
    Yes VANBITZ visit on the horizon I feel

9. TheCaller

TheCaller Funster

A lot of modern vans don't have the switch because they automatically charge both. Trouble is, some don't have the switch because they can only charge the habitation battery. :(

Good call, if the dealer confirms it's not a fault. At least it's not far to go! (y)

10. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

Be handy also to find out why it went flat ?

11. Alonsos

Alonsos Funster

Me thinks maybe as battery voltage was in its boots (9 v) may have been too low to pick itself up
    Ime on my portable charger now and battery taking 9 amps

12. Alonsos

Alonsos Funster

I've a VANBITZ strike back alarm fitted & although it takes only Milliamps and also being just packed up outside house it all takes its toll
    When battery up to strength again will turn everything off and check if anything is draining battery power wise

13. TheDogMan

TheDogMan Funster

On my Hobby the EHU charges the chassis battery as well