Spiral water hose - good idea or not?

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by maz, Jan 27, 2011.

1. maz

maz Funster

Hi everyone. I have spent a happy hour trawling through old threads about fresh water hoses. :RollEyes:

Seems the jury is fairly evenly divided between round/flat and garden/food standard. On balance I think I'm drawn more towards round food standard - but then it turns out they are more difficult to track down! In my surfing I came across a spiral hose: http://*********************/food-quality-spiral-hose-spiralux-p-814.html which would seem to be a good idea.

Has anyone tried one of these? What do you think?

2. maz

maz Funster

Oops, trouble with the link. :Blush: But it can be seen at **********s.com by searching for 'spiral hose'.

3. 656

656 Read Only Funster

Spiral hoses are a pain in the butt, unless you put them in a bag!

4. peter marshall

peter marshall

Hi Maz
    We have the spiral hose, I don't know if its food quality but we don't drink the van water, We use bottled for soft drinks etc, , only use it for cooking, boiling the kettle and stuff like that,We only use water direct from the taps for washing , The hose We usually carry in a bucket so it's easily transported.
    Pete :thumb::thumb:
    Ps carry the different fitting sizes to clip on the tap connector as they are sometimes different bore on the taps.

5. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

This is the type we use. Only problem is it has to be unwound completely when filling the tank.. but does fold/roll up to next to nothing.

As with others buy bottled for drinking... :thumb:

Attached Files:

6. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Spiral hoses are a pain to use and they take up more room than you might think, they also get tangled with everything else in your lockers. Roll flat are pain to put away, and fill a bit slower than a regular round hose. Most "food grade" hoses suitable for use in a motorhome are roll flat. Loads of people fill up with a common garden hose, I did it once and we had rubber tasting tea for ages, must have just been unlucky as others use them OK. I'd go with the roll flat every time, and would not bother with the coily springy tangly thing. :thumb:

7. lunarman

lunarman Funster

I bought a hose at one of the shows. It is basically 3 small bore tubes welded together to make a flat hosepipe. It is made of food grade material. The advantage is that you only have to unroll the amount you need the rest stays on the reel. Unfortunately I can't remember what its called.

I have seen them since at the shows, so must be readily available

Lunarman

Edit:

I think it might be this http://www.campervanaccessories.co.....html?osCsid=86315202780b8b5aa81d85a28cc98c6e

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  8. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

Flat hose

Forthe RV we have a flat hose and lots of different combination of connectors to hook up to city water.. In France we have our own tap and connect direct to the RV. If we are on a site or at a show ..I use a 20 ltr container that I put on the buggy and use a short round hose with an adapter to connect to a tap then up load with a small submersible pump connected to my external 12v system and transfer the water to the holding tank on the RV.

Works for me...

However what Jim says is correct the round hose is a pain.. I have to carry 60' of a heavy duty high pressure yellow hose for the masticator unit to dump the black tank.. Takes up room, but lucky we do not have to use it that often on site to get rid the black and grey water.

Bob:thumb:

9. pablomc

pablomc Funster Life Member

I also use a flat. Rather than have to unwind the whole lot each time I have shortened it to about 5 meters, but added connectors so I can add the other 15M should it be needed.

10. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

I've done the same-works a treat:BigGrin:

Mike

11. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Hi

Have always used garden hose, and never had a problem. Never had a taste problem but then all our water is filtered. I have 3 shorter hoses but can connect them all together if required.

Dave .:thumb::thumb:

12. Toffs-G

Toffs-G Read Only Funster

we have both a flat hose that was given to us when we originally bought our Euro MH and also have a coiled garden hose. Prefer the coily thing if tap is nearish then have the long flat one if not and can connect the 2 if really a long way away.

Never had a problem with water using the coily one but then we always filter the water for drinking ect as mentioned on here

As Bob says have anumber of different connectors to hand we have a bundle always handy, also we have cut a 1 foot length of the flat hose witha connector to feed into the tank filler spout and then just connect to that much easier for filling, that was a suggestion that came off this site about a year ago i think

Happy travels:thumb:

Gary and Cathy

13. wasp

wasp Funster

We use a garden hose but we dont drink the water but we do sterilize the system often, we use bottled water for drinking:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

14. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

As others we use garden hose to fill the tank and a separate regularly sterilised 5 litre container for beverages filled directly from site tap.

Carry 2 hose lengths, 10 and a 20 metre with a joiner if required, as already mentioned take a selection of tap connector's.

15. Mixter

Mixter Read Only Funster

Weve got a length of food hose, which can be a tad short at some places, so i was thinking of getting a longer length. But, ive been on two sites now - one CC, where the warden has just rolled out a regular garden hose, as the point wasnt very accessible for vehicles.
    Given we dont drink the van water (un boiled at least), im thinking theres no point in chasing up 'food hose'. Ill likely just replace mine with a new bit of garden hose, given theres a high tank replenish rate, and its sterilised every year as well.

16. aba

aba

i got 30 metres of food grade clear hose from the local builders merchants i keep it on a reel in the rear locker just roll out what you need.
    i put 2 female hose connectors on the reel and clip them together with a joiner so it doesn't leak when stored.

17. maz

maz Funster

Thank you to everyone for your replies. Think I'm now veering towards food quality flat hose, rather than spiral.

Now this I like the sound of - flat hose that doesn't need to be fully unwound. :Smile: I remember reading a mention of this in one of the old threads - downside seemed to be that it took a long time to fill the tank. How do you find it compares to ordinary flat hose? Does the fact that it is 3-tube construction make it more robust and less liable to splitting?

That seems a neat idea. :Smile:

18. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Mine does not leak, because you have to milk every last drop of water out (pain) to get it back on to the reel:Smile:

19. Terry

Terry Funster

Well I suppose I will give my views :Rofl1: We have a flat triple type hose @ 20 mtrs (you can run as much or little as you like out ) :thumb: If I need more than that I simply move the van nearer to the tap :Doh::thumb: Tried coil type and normal hoses but this is a lot easier to store etc,
    terry

20. lunarman

lunarman Funster

I have had 3 flat hoses 2 the conventional ones which I found were more trouble than they were worth. You had to fully unwind them and they were difficult to rewind if you didn't get all of the water out. Both developed pin hole leaks along the length of the hose after a short time and only lasted about 18 months.

I am impressed with the latest one. It is definitely more robust and I am sure will last longer. I have not noticed any appreciable difference in the water flow and hence filling time. It is easier to rewind. The only problem I have found is that if you don't have to unwind it fully it can retain a small amount of water within the reeled portion. This can leak out into wherever it is stored. I found this the first time I used it, now I join the 2 ends together problem solved.

Hope this helps making your decision

Lunarman