Ksagic

Free Member
Feb 21, 2015
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance 890i
Exp
The following is an excerpt from an article in this months, Caravan & Motorhome Club Magazine Overseas Travel Section:

" Currently UK drivers are not persued under Cross Border Enforcement regulations if they are caught speeding either by a radar speed trap or fixed speed camera in France.
However, from 6 May 2017, you will receive a fine in the post if you are caught speeding by the authorities. They will look to prosecute even if you are 1kph over the limit"

Looks like somebody is getting their act together or maybe BREXIT beginning to have an effect...!!

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
The following is an excerpt from an article in this months, Caravan & Motorhome Club Magazine Overseas Travel Section:

" Currently UK drivers are not persued under Cross Border Enforcement regulations if they are caught speeding either by a radar speed trap or fixed speed camera in France.
However, from 6 May 2017, you will receive a fine in the post if you are caught speeding by the authorities. They will look to prosecute even if you are 1kph over the limit"

Looks like somebody is getting their act together or maybe BREXIT beginning to have an effect...!!

Check this site...http://www.legipermis.com/blog/2015/06/25/radar-exces-de-vitesse-tolerance-et-vitesse-retenue/

Basically for fixed radar there is 5kmph tolerance below 100kmph and 5% above 100 kmph, for mobile radars there is a 10 kmph tolerance below 100 kmph and 10% above 100 kmph.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
It will be opportunity driven. There's obviously enough UK speeders that it's worth taking the extra time/cost to pursue them. Across most of Europe it's the same and neighbouring countries usually have enough cross border traffic that they pursue them. Funnily enough now that the Dartford crossing toll system is now outsourced they also pursue ALL offenders no matter what the country of origin.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I understood there were no plans for DVLA to give out details?

The UK & Ireland opted out of the original sharing agreement as it was a directive.
The EU decided they felt that strongly about it that the changed it to a safety matter which meant that you could not opt out & the UK & Ireland had until may 2017 to comply.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Thanks for the info but how will they get my address?
From The DVLA of course,,,same way as Private Parking Companies do in UK. DVLA charge a fee. BUSBY.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
From The DVLA of course,,,same way as Private Parking Companies do in UK. DVLA charge a fee. BUSBY.
Thanks, I did realise DVLA would be the source but I understood there was no agreement to give out details. However @gus-lopez did explain above, the forthcoming arrangement.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
DVLA don't even know their own address :rofl:

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!

NOTHING TO DO WITH BREXIT, exactly the opposite, this is EU law the UK government has studiously avoided implementing until the EU forced compliance from May 2017!

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
EXACTLY

There'll be a few getting caught then who normally think they are safe :eek:

Always been the case that Brits leaving Calais have seen the wide empty motorways of Northern France and shot off to get to the sun quickly and on the return have flown along hoping they'll be able to catch an earlier ferry to make the UK journey easier..

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Don't speed and it's a complete non-issue.

Not exactly rocket science :whistle:

Whilst I agree with you, the variable speed limits in France esp at road junctions makes obeying speed limits difficult and therefore easier to break. Also the French seem to have a cavalier attitude to speeding, so obviously it is not strictly enforced.
Be observant if you find yourself overtaking lots of French cars or see the cars in front sloowing down follow suit, there is a lot to be said for local knowledge

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
Whilst I agree with you, the variable speed limits in France esp at road junctions makes obeying speed limits difficult and therefore easier to break. Also the French seem to have a cavalier attitude to speeding, so obviously it is not strictly enforced.
Be observant if you find yourself overtaking lots of French cars or see the cars in front sloowing down follow suit, there is a lot to be said for local knowledge

It is Spain which has the reduced speed limits at road junctions, France has started having reductions near schools and in village/town centres. I've found speeding less of an issue in France than I remember in the UK. Speed cameras always have a warning sign posted before them.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough

This is totally against what we find, if you want complicated speed limits look at Britain. France by comparison is ever so easy and of course we have not got the same urban sprawl so you see a sign gor a town or village and the limit goes from 90 to 50 unless it is a tight village where there may be a short 30 stretch. As soon as you leave the town it reverts back to 90, very rarely do you see the locals speeding through towns and there really is no need as the distance is usually quite small.

Do remember though in wet conditions all speed limits are reduced by 10Km per hour, the difficulty may be in knowing what is rain and what is mizzle

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
I am still not really sure about the 80k limit for +3.5ton???? Is this just for commercial or for everything over 3.5t?????
80k is a nice speed to run at but in hilly country I have to keep changing down as it's too slow to pull in top gear!!!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Whilst I agree with you, the variable speed limits in France esp at road junctions makes obeying speed limits difficult and therefore easier to break.

I don't agree with you there at all.

I've always found speed limits to be perfectly well signed and easy to understand.

As @laneside says such things are far more straightforward in France than they are in the U.K.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 19, 2015
Burgess Hill, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 580
Exp
Since 2016
I am sure I read that the new directive is a problem for the UK because our law needs to prove who is driving at the time an offence is committed but in Europe the owner of the vehicle can/will be prosecuted by default.

So DVLA will have to provide details on request of UK drivers speeding in Europe from May but we cannot obtain details of European drivers speeding in the UK, because the structure of our law excludes us.

It’s crazy isn't it?

Reactions: f6c
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I am sure I read that the new directive is a problem for the UK because our law needs to prove who is driving at the time an offence is committed but in Europe the owner of the vehicle can/will be prosecuted by default.

So DVLA will have to provide details on request of UK drivers speeding in Europe from May but we cannot obtain details of European drivers speeding in the UK, because the structure of our law excludes us.

It’s crazy isn't it?

I thought in UK if registered keeper does not tell Court who the driver was ,,they would be prosecuted anyway,,may be mistaken,,,BUSBY,,,

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp

It’s crazy isn't it?

DVLA won't know who was driving the speeding car, it will only provide the ownership details just as the French will provide to the UK...

On the rare occasions I've been flashed in France, I've received notification of the offense and have been asked to confirm whether I was the driver, if not who was. Just like the UK.. If I declined then I don't know whether I would be treated as the driver or pursued for obstruction or something more serious...

Oct 19, 2015
Burgess Hill, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 580
Exp
Since 2016

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I thought in UK if registered keeper does not tell Court who the driver was ,,they would be prosecuted anyway,,may be mistaken,,,BUSBY,,,
You are correct. I have been with a lad in court who failed to provide information on a driver as required to do so by Chief Constable ..Blah blah etc. His punishment was points on his licence which meant too many in his first year and therefore had to take test again. He was of course the driver of a drink driving offence and wouldn't tell so he effectively "got off" with a lighter punishment, but punished he was.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back