Speed up my PC

Discussion in 'Computers' started by haganap, Sep 21, 2009.

1. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Anyone any freee programmes that actually work and are not on a trial basis or loaded with adaware? PC is strting to annoy me now, really slow and constant dragging. VISTA installed and been fine for ages. Only other option seems to be full restore.

2. Terry

Terry Funster

Put it in the car and take it for a fast drive :Rofl1:
    of course if it is in Nikkis hearse (pt cruser) it will not go very fast :Rofl1:
    terry
    I was told some time ago of a program called Shela (or another girls name) that is supposed to work

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  3. olley

olley Funster

hi tried many over the years, free and paid, never found any that made a blind bit of difference. :Doh:

Olley

4. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

thanks guys but in honesty ive got safari running, binned firefox and the difference is amazing, try it for youself

5. olley

olley Funster

Hi hag been using Chrome for a few months now, much faster than IE8.

Olley

6. sinbad1

sinbad1 Deleted User

uninstall any unecessary programs

stop programs starting not needed using msconfig

optimise services

ccleaner get rid of junk

eusing reg cleaner delete all it finds

disk defrag

7. olley

olley Funster

Hi tried all them, never did any good :cry: only thing that ever worked was a reinstall of windows.

Olley

8. acdcdave

acdcdave Funster

Few thoughts

Hi Paul

If such a program existed someone would be a billionaire by now! I think there are two approaches - house keeping and/or more fire power. How much RAM do you have in the machine? Do you have the maximum? Usually 3 or 4 Gbytes for the standard 32 bit OS such as XP or Vista and cheap! The 64 bit OS version gives you far more space, but you need to have enough slots on the motherboard. If you go the hardware route a desktop is much more powerful, a laptop will always be much more feeble performance wise. How full is your disk? Get the crap backed off to a standalone drive or get a bigger faster drive - again easier on a desktop. Get rid of all the convenience stuff on the desktop and various service bars. I would find a cheap old box and upgrade it, put 64 bit XP on it and a fast big disk. Could give you some old stuff if you fancy a go. You can never have enough machines!

What are you doing that's now so slow? Do you house clean, clear out cookies, defrag the C drive regularly?

Good luck, Dave.

9. Adria 5

Adria 5 Read Only Funster

buy another computer:BigGrin: the acer range are quick and are small to fit on a postage stamp
    the advance in computers is amazing to think i started with a performa 450 mac
    ill buy another dont go for clocking:Smile:

ray

10. sinbad1

sinbad1 Deleted User

Reinstalling windows is a last resort and somewhat time consuming to get it back to what software and updates you had before.

Its a lot easier to carry out regular maintenance, never had to do a reinstall ;but would highly recommend acronis true image.

regards

11. Andy 01424

Andy 01424 Read Only Funster

The home of Spybot-S&D!

fully updateble has a good little forum where you can find cures for most virus's

to help you with Crap Vista lol heres a site that will help you turn off un-needed stuff,now you know why the brought out Windows 7 [aka Vista with junk removed]

Black Viper's Web Site