Speed Stickers question for French Registered Camping Cars (1 Viewer)

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
I am in the process of registering my PHGV Hymer (4,500 kg), in France. Four months so far and it looks like in excess of €1,000 down. I will post the full story when and if I succeed. Luckily I have a very good French friend who is making the hundreds of complicated phone calls for me.
We have our gas and electric check at the end of this month then we have a 270km round trip to Montpellier for what we hope will be the final check at DREAL. For that check and the subsequent CT (MOT) test I will I presume have to have Speed Stickers of 80, 100 and 110 on the back.
The usual 150 or 200 mm ones for trucks, I think look hideous on the back of a beautiful Camping Car but I have seen tiny ones about 75mm on the back of many vans like the picture below.
So my question is; Does anybody know where to get them? I have searched everywhere and can only come up with the big ones.
Hopefully @yodeli or some of the other members in France will have an answer for me.
On one of the French Forums where they were complaining about them bitterly there was a suggestion about tiny ones in Belgium but I have no idea where or what to search for.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Steve

SpeedSignsFrance.jpg

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Hi!

This is what we call "une colle" which is a question I ignore the answer for one major reason , I have never bothered to have any. AND I went through the whole process of the DREAL as my motorhome is a 1991 one, so no certificate of conformity. It took me 3 months but Spitfire (funster living in France) was my saver. It has taken you 4 months? Gosh... what are the prob you were told (I fear the worst!)?? Please answer here before you get your gas and electricity checked! You might throw your money through the window. Which town are you going to for DREAL?
As far as I know DREAL never asked to have the speed limit stickers on, they don't give a toss.

I'll have a look but indeed , this is NOT your main worry at the present , believe me!

http://www.stickair.fr/autocollants/autocollant.asp?n1=115&n2=651&prod=6680

I don't think a small size one is really legal here, so you might get a fine for that.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
As an observation from here in the UK

I was under the impression for Non Commercial vehicles they are not required
BUT
If you do apply them and go faster than the limit of the stickers then you get a fine - - ie if you fit 110 sticker then do 130 on the Autoroute thats a fine if you are stopped

So am I correct or is this just for foreign vehicles ??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
This is what I just found . It says these stickers are only compulsory for over 3,5t motorhomes. Hence mine never needed one and the OP does need them .

Kit de trois disques de limitation de vitesse pour coller à l'arrière de votre camping car poids lourd.

Disques de vitesses OBLIGATOIRE pour les camping cars poids lourds

Dans le kit : disques autocollant de 80, 100 et 110 km/h

Diamètre des disques 200mm

Modifié par Décret n°2008-754 du 30 juillet 2008 - art. 17

La vitesse des véhicules visés à l'article R. 413-8 qui sont destinés au transport de personnes et dont le poids total autorisé en charge est supérieur à 3, 5 tonnes et inférieur ou égal à 12 tonnes est limitée à :

110 km / h sur les autoroutes ;

100 km / h sur les routes à deux chaussées séparées par un terre-plein central lorsqu'elles sont à caractère prioritaire et signalées comme telles ;

80 km / h sur les autres routes.

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Thanks @yodeli for coming back so quickly.
First Hymer France took two months to provide a partial CoC which was just a copy of the German one with a covering attestation in French, and charged €260 for it.

I started out asking our Mairie to do the registration for me and they fiddled about for a bit then said I needed a CT test so booked a test and when I got there he said I had to go to the place where they do trucks as he could only do up to 3500kg. So another appointment to be told he couldn't do it without the Carte Gris even though I told him that I couldn't get a Carte Gris until I had the test.
After a lot of searching on the internet I found an official document on
service-public.fr

Which Says: Vous pouvez faire immatriculer en France un véhicule immatriculé précédemment dans un pays de l'Union européenne sans refaire en France le contrôle technique si celui-ci est toujours valable, c'est-à-dire s'il a moins de 6 mois.
https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F16539
Which means, for the English readers that a UK MOT is OK for the registration as long as it has 6 months left on it.

So after checking for themselves the Mairie carried on then said they could not do it because the Hymer CoC did not have the French CV figure on it so as to be able to include a cheque for the tax. So that is when I gave up on the Marie and got my French friend involved, he phoned a lot of people then finally Hymer France to get the CV figure and they told him that their CoC was no good I would have to get one from Fiat. so another wait and another €200 and more confusion because the Fiat one said the gross weight was 4250kg not 4,500kg.

So we filled out the DREAL forms anyway and sent them off with an explanation of why the vehicle had three different weight plates. One for the Fiat front end, one for the ALKO rear end and one for the finished vehicle by Hymer who had upgraded the front springs and wheels to increase the weight to 4500kg.

The forms were sent off and amazingly DREAL actually emailed back within hours of receiving them that we had to book a gas and electric test with Veritas which is now booked for the end of this month which is the earliest they can do it and of course another €288 fee. They also said we had to get an official unladen weight with the van empty except for the fuel and water being full. Which we did yesterday after half a day trying to find an official weigh bridge.

So it is all just the usual nightmare of French administration and why use one form when a hundred will justify our existence more.

I can actually see the light at the end of the tunnel now, although it may be a train coming the other way!! I didn't expect the amount it has cost or the time but we couldn't find anything even close in France and certainly very few PHGV's so as to have a decent payload and as you know the prices here are easily 25% higher than the UK. We had a leVoyageur before, in fact still have because I haven't managed to sell it yet and by the time it had an awning, spare wheel and solar panels we had just 40 kg payload which means like most French Camping Cars always overloaded. So for peace of mind we just had to upgrade.

Is yours over 3,500kg and you have never had problems with not having the speed stickers and no problem for the CT?

Small stickers may not be correct but is having none more likely to get a fine than the wrong size?

Steve

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
This is what I just found . It says these stickers are only compulsory for over 3,5t motorhomes. Hence mine never needed one and the OP does need them
Ah, that answers my last question.
I forgot to say we are in 34 Herault, so Montpellier for the DREAL if we lived just 1km to the west we would be in 11 Aude which is very much easier to register a vehicle.
My brother failed to turn his motorbike French in five years in Herault but it just took one week when he moved to Aude
Steve

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
OH HELL ,..... I had to go to veritas ... just to pay and hear them tell me, you have to change all : boiler, fridge, and heater! They are all pain in the a****!

Just like you, I have been sent from one point to another (And "I" speak the language!) just to be robbed money at each stage. Just to be told each time ... yes but NO! whatever the question!
I still don't know which DREAL you are meant to go to, but you said you had 275 kms to go to Montpellier? Is it the place? Please where are you? I can send you to the right person, the same Spitfire sent me to, he knows all and Brive DREAL seems to obey him at all times!!!It'
I must ask him if he does the over 3,5t vehicles ( @spitfire , how big is yours?)

Of course if you prefer to carry on , I won't do a thing.
You might have more chance than I had. it all depends on the UK gas pression and the the year your van was made

Up to you!

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
I still don't know which DREAL you are meant to go to, but you said you had 275 kms to go to Montpellier? Is it the place?
Thanks for the offer @yodeli we are right on the far western boarder of Herault just west of Olonzac so Montpellier is where we have to go which is 130km so 270km to go there and back.
The Guy my friend is talking to at DREAL seems to want to help but if I fail after the last two hurdles then I will contact you.
Our Hymer is only 4 years old so the gas is 30mbar which should be ok. But I have been advised to take our refillable gas bottles out as they will not pass them because they are applying the wrong rules, for liquid take off tanks not refillable bottles. Then to fit them back after we get the registration. They actually sell Gaslow bottles in Narbonne Accesories, so the usual French madness. Europe makes the rules then France just ignores them.
Apart from the wine, weather and scenery etc. I don't know why we live here.
Steve

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I For that check and the subsequent CT (MOT) test I will I presume have to have Speed Stickers of 80, 100 and 110 on the back.
The usual 150 or 200 mm ones for trucks, I think look hideous on the back of a beautiful Camping Car but I have seen tiny ones about 75mm on the back of many vans like the picture below.
So my question is; Does anybody know where to get them? I have searched everywhere and can only come up with the big ones.

Steve

View attachment 127934
Look at it like a French or a Spaniard would. Put the stickers on to pass the test & then remove & hunt down some of a size you want.(y)

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
As an observation from here in the UK

I was under the impression for Non Commercial vehicles they are not required
BUT
If you do apply them and go faster than the limit of the stickers then you get a fine - - ie if you fit 110 sticker then do 130 on the Autoroute thats a fine if you are stopped

So am I correct or is this just for foreign vehicles ??
I think that would be compulsory for French registered vehicles and possibly for vehicles transiting France. Italy are also in there. Swiss law is rather strange as regards HGV's.
Also, I think that non perishable goods in HGV's can't transit or drive on Sundays.

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Hi All,
Thanks for all the input. I have just found this company on eBay who are prepared to make three specials exactly the size I want Link Removed ok twice the standard price but at £12 for the three much cheaper than the massive 200mm ones made for trucks.
Steve

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Hmmmmmm, we pick our new to us Hobby 700 tag up tomorrow, does it mean we will need some too? As for hgv's travelling on Sunday's I will have to make sure there's a lettuce in the fridge at all times. Perishable innitt see :D:D:D

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
so Montpellier is where we have to go

Just as an extra info: You are not obliged to go to the nearest DREAL according to your address. Any Dreal can be used. Mine is in Toulouse, but I found out going to a smaller town is better , they don't try to steal your money, and it seems to be easier. I had my motorhome to pass it in Brive-La-Gaillarde.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
This sound like a giant Pain in the arse, why all the fuss just to be able to pay them money, it looks cheaper to bring it back here every 6 months.

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
it looks cheaper to bring it back here every 6 months.
Unfortunately not being resident in the UK I can't get UK insurance and DVLA will not accept French insurance for road TAX. I could use my son's address but if there were a claim the insurance company would delight in saying we were not insured.
But thanks for the suggestion. It's what we have to suffer for a lot of sunshine and good quality wine at £5 a gallon;)

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Unfortunately not being resident in the UK I can't get UK insurance and DVLA will not accept French insurance for road TAX. I could use my son's address but if there were a claim the insurance company would delight in saying we were not insured.
But thanks for the suggestion. It's what we have to suffer for a lot of sunshine and good quality wine at £5 a gallon;)
OMG!!!! You pay that much?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
This sound like a giant Pain in the arse, why all the fuss just to be able to pay them money, it looks cheaper to bring it back here every 6 months.
You only have 90 days if you become a resident. As OAT has said they are French residents then they cannot legally drive anything other than a French plated vehicle whilst in France. The same applies to residents of other EU states. I.e. I can only drive a spanish registered vehicle in spain & you as a UK resident, can only drive a British registered one.
The " 6 months " is a misnomer & only applies to holiday makers being the time you are allowed to be in an EU state before you are required to re-register any vehicle.
Unfortunately this rarely comes into effect as if a person remains in another EU state for 90 days , with or without a vehicle, then they are obliged in most cases to register as a resident. & yes before you mention all those who are in Spain from October to next year. Yes they are all illegal. :) But if they leave before the 90 days then the clock resets. (y) Unfortunately it doesn't for the vehicle if you have one.:( & if you get to 183 days here , even by resetting the clock to avoid having to register as a "resident" you still become a "tax resident" & are required to file a declaration.:LOL:

The DVLA will accept a 'foreign' insurance as long as the company has an affiliate that is registered in the UK.
There are people here on local forums that have UK registered cars on spanish insurance & they tax online using it. The 2 main companies here are Liberty Seguros & Mapfre ,I believe. LS notifies dvla & MI database twice a week of all UK registered vehicles they have insured.
Not that you want it but there might be French companies doing the same.

May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
I am in the process of registering my PHGV Hymer (4,500 kg), in France. Four months so far and it looks like in excess of €1,000 down. I will post the full story when and if I succeed. Luckily I have a very good French friend who is making the hundreds of complicated phone calls for me.
We have our gas and electric check at the end of this month then we have a 270km round trip to Montpellier for what we hope will be the final check at DREAL. For that check and the subsequent CT (MOT) test I will I presume have to have Speed Stickers of 80, 100 and 110 on the back.
Hopefully @yodeli or some of the other members in France will have an answer for me.
On one of the French Forums where they were complaining about them bitterly there was a suggestion about tiny ones in Belgium but I have no idea where or what to search for.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Steve

View attachment 127934

Welcome to France!!!!:france::wine:

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Welcome to France!!!!
Thanks elamessa, we have been here for many years but just changed our MoHo. Bought a UK one as we have seen nothing here and much cheaper in UK. Just didn'y expect quite so much trouble.
Steve

May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
Thanks elamessa, we have been here for many years but just changed our MoHo. Bought a UK one as we have seen nothing here and much cheaper in UK. Just didn'y expect quite so much trouble.
Steve
We did the exact opposite sold our UK registered moho back in the UK and bought in France as we found the same problem as you.
However our French bought moho was much cheaper and a lot better built than our UK one.

Good luck.

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
However our French bought moho was much cheaper and a lot better built than our UK one.
Actually ours is German built by Hymer and left hand drive but I must say is not nearly as well designed as our previous one a leVoyageur designed and built in France. The Hymer for example has 4 glasses on display as you enter the door to attract dust but nowhere to store wine. The French one has good closed storage for glasses and 8 bottles of wine.
But 4.5 tonne Camping Cars are quite scarce here because very few French Drivers can drive them. So hence very little choice.
Steve

May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
Actually ours is German built by Hymer and left hand drive but I must say is not nearly as well designed as our previous one a leVoyageur designed and built in France. The Hymer for example has 4 glasses on display as you enter the door to attract dust but nowhere to store wine. The French one has good closed storage for glasses and 8 bottles of wine.
But 4.5 tonne Camping Cars are quite scarce here because very few French Drivers can drive them. So hence very little choice.
Steve
Yes ours is German built, a Burstner and very good quality, this is our second Burstner bought here in France and can't fault them. Both have been 3.5 tonne which is enough for us as we usually have around 50-100kgs spare.
I agree that there are very few vans over 3.5t in France but a search for camping car poids lordes should give you a good range (if you are prepared to travel of course). Most french vans driven by the french must be so overloaded - they seem to have everything in their garages including a vineyards worth of wine!!!!:wine:

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
This is a question for @yodeli really.
We had our Gas test by Veritas yesterday which was a joke he didn't even do a manometer test, five minutes looking around then an hour ticking boxes and producing a report €288 thank you very much. Anyway, it passed obviously with no comments, now we just have to wait for an appointment with DREAL to I presume check all these numbers again and check that the Camping Car actually exists.
Now I have been told that DREAL will want to see a warning notice on the dash in French but also in English as my language is English. I am told it should be something like this. but am not sure of my French. As a native speaker who understands Camping Cars, can you correct my French please:

WARNING: Before driving the vehicle, check all: Doors, Windows, Lockers, Rooflights, Sat Dish, etc. are properly closed.
Before leaving the site: Check the Electric & Water connection is disconnected and the awning is secured.

DANGER: Avant de conduire le véhicule, vérifier tous: Portes, fenêtres, Coffres, lanterneaux, antenne, etc. sont bien fermés.
Avant de quitter le site: Vérifiez la connexion électrique et de l'eau est déconnectée et le store fixé.

Thanks for your help Frankie.

Steve

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
This is a question for @yodeli really.
We had our Gas test by Veritas yesterday which was a joke he didn't even do a manometer test, five minutes looking around then an hour ticking boxes and producing a report €288 thank you very much. Anyway, it passed obviously with no comments, now we just have to wait for an appointment with DREAL to I presume check all these numbers again and check that the Camping Car actually exists.
Now I have been told that DREAL will want to see a warning notice on the dash in French but also in English as my language is English. I am told it should be something like this. but am not sure of my French. As a native speaker who understands Camping Cars, can you correct my French please:

WARNING: Before driving the vehicle, check all: Doors, Windows, Lockers, Rooflights, Sat Dish, etc. are properly closed.
Before leaving the site: Check the Electric & Water connection is disconnected and the awning is secured.

DANGER: Avant de conduire le véhicule, vérifier que tout ce qui est: Portes, fenêtres, Coffres, lanterneaux, antenne, etc. soient bien fermés.
Avant de quitter le site: Vérifiez que les connexions à l'électricité et à l'eau sont déconnectées et que le store est correctement enroulé et sécurisé.

Thanks for your help Frankie.

Steve

You're very welcome! Always up to correct if it might help! Click to expand and see correction

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
Now I have been told that DREAL will want to see a warning notice on the dash in French but also in English as my language is English. I am told it should be something like this. but am not sure of my French.

Steve

I am wondering how long this has been a requirement, or, indeed, if it just for one / some département(s). I went through the re-registering process about 3 or 4 years ago and wasn't asked to fit such a notice. You won't see it on any new vehicles.

J

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I am wondering how long this has been a requirement, or, indeed, if it just for one / some département(s). I went through the re-registering process about 3 or 4 years ago and wasn't asked to fit such a notice. You won't see it on any new vehicles.

J

It was on our 2010 Chausson - in French only.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back