speed limits

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by scally, Jul 18, 2014.

1. scally

scally Funster

after leaving Gails birthday bash I got flashed:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy: Subsequently(today) I had to attend a speed awareness course as you do.:whistle::whistle::whistle: anyway as part of it I was surprised to learn that motorhomes over 2 tonnes yes 2 tonnes come into the speed limit catagory of 7.6 tonnes
    ie single carriageway 50 mph
    dual carriageway 60 mph
    motorway 70 mph
    Although there seems to be an anomily re private heavy and goods, authorities are unsure so ere on the side of caution and apply goods limit

you have been warned :crying::crying::crying:

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Dont forget......your insurers (nor anyone else) cant check if you have been on a course so no need to declare it.

The only body who can access the database are police forces considering offering a course as they need to know if a course has been taken in the preceeding 3 years which will exclude you from another in that time frame.

You were NOT prosecuted for an offence, ergo, technically no offence was committed.

Now, step up those who dont agree and foolishly admit the speeding course to their insurers.

• Like Like x 1
  3. sb8263

sb8263 Funster

i didnt get offered it,,, 37 mph in a 30 zone ,,,3 points and £30 fine ,,,first time out in our new mh 3 years ago,,,,,now i get lights flashed and horns blown as i stick to all speed limits through built up areas,,,,,,

4. pappajohn

Yes, you have to meet a certain criteria to be offered a course.

Usually a combination of posted speed plus 10% plus 2mph for a 30mph offence.....35mph.......more or less than 35mph and no course offered.

I beleive the calculation is the same for all speeds

Last time i checked it is now 3 points and a £60 £100 fine......the course fee is variable and set by local area organisers but around 50% more....of course, you dont pay the fine as well....just the course fee.

The courses are usually run by the AA.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  5. The Wino

The Wino Funster

I thought the speed limits were only different if you were over 3050 kg unladen. Also if the insurance co ask if you have done a speed awareness course and you say no and it later turns out you have surely your insurance is invalid (same as if you make up an occupation )

David

• Like Like x 1
  6. pappajohn

As i said, they only people who can access the data base are police forces to check if a course has been offered and undertaken within the last 3 years.
    Only one course is offered per 3 year period regardless of where you were flashed.
    Insurance companies can never access the data base and as said, no offence is recorded so no offence was commited in law.

7. Borisski

Borisski Funster

Having done the course - prior to acquiring Boris - I can confirm all that pappajohn says? I can also confirm that I now adhere to the speed limits as above - albeit through gritted teeth at times! However I find it much easier to do in Boris because it's like being on holiday on wheels so chill!

8. Abacist

Abacist Funster

I have done one for doing 84mph in a car on a quiet dual carriageway at night when if it had been 82mph I would probably have been ignored. Anyway most of the course I attended was devoted to speeding in built up areas and the likelihood of killing someone doing nearer 40 than 30 in a 30mph limit. I am much more careful now than I was to keep speed down in built up areas. Also it was embarrassing to many of us not knowing some of the later additions to the highway code, which tell you if you are in a 30 limit when no signs are visible, having been driving for 40+ years.:(

9. timdownieuk

timdownieuk Funster

Well that's just wrong.

Up to 3.05 tonnes unladen treated the same as a car.

https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits

• Like Like x 3
  10. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

I think they misinformed you the limit is 3050kg Max Unladen Weight NOT over 2000kg. as timdownieuk suggests and links to the .gov web site.

11. funflair

Hopefully your speeding course was for proper speeding not their interpretation of the rules, what were you going in what limit?

12. timdownieuk

timdownieuk Funster

A bit worrying that those running the course appear a bit clueless about the law.

Tim

13. schojac

schojac Read Only Funster

I think that the 2 tonnes limit applies to car base vans like the astra, VW Caddy for example.

14. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

That isn't a new addition: it has been the case since 1984 that a "30 mph speed limit applies where there are three or more lamps throwing light on the carriageway and placed not more than 200 yards apart".

15. funflair

They are subject to the same limits as cars and any other van, the lower limits are for towing vehicles etc.

16. Abacist

Abacist Funster

I passed my test in 1969.

The other factor is the lack of repeater speed limit signs in a built up area which are then automatically restricted roads and thus limited to 30mph but more recently could be lower at 20mph according to ROSPA.

17. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Any car derived van UNDER 2000kg gross has the same limits as a car.
    Any commercial van over 2000kg gross is limited to 50mph on A roads, 60mph on dual carriageways and 70mph on motorways.
    These limits also apply, as previously mentioned, to motorhomes not exceeding 3050kg UNLADEN. Note, unladen isnt the mass in running order quoted by your MH manufacturer! MH manufacturers generally quote water in tanks and gas on board to calculate the MIRO. You should weigh your van without water and driver on board to get a true figure!
    You might even slip into a faster speed limit catagory!

18. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

Passed mine in 1964:). You're correct about a 20 limit but any variation from 30 on such roads requires a start/end of limit sign & repeaters. 20 is the latest variation but many roads with lights that pass through built-up areas have start/end signs & repeaters for 40, 50, and, occasionally, the national speed limit.

19. The Wino

The Wino Funster

"These limits also apply" which ones you've just quoted two different ones:rollingeyes: . I take it you mean the car limits.

David

20. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Yes! Slow data here at Wrenbury! I was being economical with words in the post and didnt make that clear!
    To summarise, heavier=slower!