Speed Limit From March 2007 ?

Discussion in 'American RV's' started by ukrv, Sep 11, 2007.

1. ukrv

ukrv Deleted User

Hi Guys

I seem to recall reading about a EU enforced speed limit for all vehicles over 7.5t - but can't remember what the outcome was.

Whilst working last night, a motorhomer gave me a cutting from one of this weeks magazines which states :-

"Readers who own a motorhome over 7.5 tonnes are reminded about the new EU legislation which came into effect in March restricting them to a speed limit of 56mph"

The magazine is printing more next month.

So, has this actually come into effect and do we need to do anything about it ?

Paul

2. johnsandywhite

johnsandywhite Read Only Funster

:Eek!: I've not seen anything about it. But if correct? You will have to set the Cruise Control to a slower speed. Then again. How many take any notice of Speed Limits anywhere in the UK?

3. American Dream

American Dream Read Only Funster

You Heavyweight RV guys could always lose weight?:Doh:

Only joking.

4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Won't affect me.. I love 56 mph :thumb:

5. johnsandywhite

johnsandywhite Read Only Funster

:Cool::Cool: Maybe I will have to increase the weight of the Mini RV? It won't reach 56mph. :Rofl1:

6. Don Madge

Don Madge Funster

Paul,

I think you will find it applies to "Goods" vehicles:Smile:. The speed limit in Germany for motorhomes over 3500kg is 100kph(was 80kph). This came about after much lobbying by the German motorhome clubs.:BigGrin:

I better use the smilies as I don't want any aggro. :thumb:

Don

7. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Speed limits are specified by the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 (as amended).

The limits vary by type of road and depend on weight and length of vehicle and whether it is drawing a trailer.

Limits for vehicles which weigh in excess of 7.5 tonnes are lower than those for lighter vehicles.

You will find speed limits which affect all motorhomes Here.

Graham

8. ukrv

ukrv Deleted User

So, ANY motorcaravan can do 70 on a motorway - unless you are towing a trailer (or a-frame/car) and it's then 60mph.

Did I read that correctly?

Paul

9. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

That appears to be the case, unless it exceeds 12 metres in length.

I would think that the description of the vehicle on the V5 would need to state Motor Caravan though, otherwise it would be classed as a goods vehicle.

Graham

10. GeorgeTelford

GeorgeTelford Deleted User

Hi Paul

Actually you seem to be misreading it, 70 for motorhome alone, its ilegal to travel at any speed with an A Frame attached, it would be 60 with a legal trailer attached.

11. GeorgeTelford

Hi Graham

To be classed as a goods vehicle it needs to actually be a goods vehicle, ie if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck. Ps this is exactly as described by Marsham who are the only Arbiters of vehicle classification in UK Law

If you were to falsely reclassify an actual Goods vehicle as a motorhome it would still be ilegal to exceed the Goods vehicle speed.

12. ukrv

ukrv Deleted User

:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

Paul

13. Supertractorman

Supertractorman Read Only Funster

I have read somewhere that if a Motor Caravan is used for business purposes, ie, going to a show to transport goods to be sold on a stand at the show, then it is classed as a commercial vehicle and subject to commercial vehicle rules such as tacho's etc. Can anyone confirm as the forthcoming Drivers CPC starting in 2008 for PCV Drivers and 2009 for LGV Drivers could mean further training to unsuspecting Drivers.

14. GeorgeTelford

Would need tacho only if it were a goods vehicle over a certain weight, so the question needs to be, have they made it into a goods vehicle? does it look like a duck and quack like a duck?

Yes I can confirm that it will not mean further training for non professional drivers, please define an unsuspecting driver?

15. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Perhaps I should have been clearer as I wasn't wishing to start a debate on vehicle classifications.

As far as I understand it most motorhomes based on the likes of Sevel vehicles or larger have a Taxation Class on the V5C of Private/Light Goods or Private Heavy Goods Vehicle (ours, based on a Boxer, certainly has the former).

The V5C should also state that the Body Type is Motor Caravan but if it isn't the vehicle might be classed as a goods vehicle by the (possibly automated) systems used to enforce legislation.

From articles I have read it would seem that some motorhomes (for whatever reason) have been registered with a different body type. Although the owner of a vehicle threatened with prosecution might win the case that could be at the cost of wasted time and stress.

Much easier to check that the V5C is in order before such an event might occur.

Graham

16. GeorgeTelford

Good point, there are several automated systems that this could cause a problem with in the nr future, up until now its not actually caused a problem.

I am guessing that maybe larger motorhomes will find that they cant get a class 4 MOT at the new computerised stations until its rectified etc etc.

17. GeorgeTelford

back to the initial post, that legislation refers to restrictors fitted to vehicles, not a new abitrary speed limit.

Thats why you have lorries overtaking and taking several miles to accomplish it, as one is ever so slightly faster than the other, due to no 2 restrictors being exactly alike.

PPS

Motorhomes have legally been able to remove these restrictors (when fitted) as they are not Goods vehicles.

18. justme AKA Grath

justme AKA Grath BANNED

I do not know if it will effect motorhomes but it is now effective and law for goods vehicles over 7.5t.
    It has been the case for the larger trucks for several years, but it now includes the 7.5toners.
    The 7.5 ton gross vehicles now have to have a limiter fitted, obviously there will be a cut off year but not sure how far back

19. Don Madge

Don Madge Funster

Fordson,

I think you were referring to "Living Vans" see http://www.ukmotorhomes.net/motorhome_speed_limits.shtml

Thank god I've only got a little one:Eeek::Eeek::thumb:

Don

20. Supertractorman

Supertractorman Read Only Funster

Don,

Thanks for that, I knew I had read it somewhere, but the grey cells could not remember where. For traders this could mean more expense plus all the additional legislation to adhere to.

D