Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Hi, I have got a very good radio system in the van with 5 speakers and a sub woofer. I also have a really crap speaker in my tv that I output via a 3.5mm jack to a small powered speaker behind the tv. When listening to the radio abroad via my FTA satellite receiver I also connect that to the speaker. Physically taking the jack out of the TV and putting it into the back of the sat box.

I do occasionally also use a long lead to connect straight from the sat box to the Aux input on the radio and enjoy the full system. However I know it is very wasteful battery wise when not on hookup. Sat dish + sat box + cab radio (wired to L batteries) + sometimes the tv as well.

My question. I've just taken the ceiling panels down to replace the fly screen in the big sky light. This has exposed the speaker wiring and I could easily and neatly run cables to tv and sat box from the 2 main ceiling speakers.

Is there anyway I could piggy back them to the TV and sat box? They are 4 ohm visatrons and output from the tv an sat box are 3.5mm jack or twin Audio.

Please keep it simple

Dick

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
I can vouch for what Lorryman100 has stated. I purchased the same thing. Plugged it into my Tv head phone socket and set it up with my Bluetooth Radio system. A bit of Jiggery pokery and whoosh! It works well.(y)
Read a little about the types of transmitter first though! It took a second attempt with mine! Did not read the label properly :love:. Fair play to the guy I purchased it from though. He sent me another and covered the return postage.
£25 is a good price to pay to be honest.
Regards Kev and Carolyn

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I think he's saying that off grid the main stereo uses too much battery power over long periods .. he just wants to utilise some of the existing speakers from his tv by wiring his tv directly to them in addition to his existing wiring.

We were in a similar position but solved it by putting the tv sound into a bose sounding mini. Which we also use for bluetooth music streaming when we're pitched somewhere.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I don't have any Hab speakers and TV is through the tinny sounding Vision Plus. We either bluetooth using similar Tx as above to a Bose Soundtouch or as OP hard wire a 3.5 mm jack to the Bose. A piggyback into the existing speakers should be fine with an isolation switch when using Cab radio I would imagine.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The headphone jack on the TV will be too high impedance and not powerful enough to drive speakers.
For what you want to do you can either take the TV apart and disconnect the TV speakers and wire the cables to your speakers and fit a switch to change the source to the speakers or you could connect a small audio amp to the headphone output, you would still need to switch the speakers.

Edit:
Another thought, the headphone output will be either driven direct from a chip or it will have resistors in series with the speaker outputs, if the latter you could link out the resistors then the output would be capable of driving speakers again will still need to switch the Motorhome speakers.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back