Spare wheel

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Attila the Hen, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Attila the Hen

Attila the Hen Funster

We have a Fiat Ducato PVC and wonder if any member has experience of tyre repair kits. I would like to run without the spare wheel to use the space for a sliding rear step. I know of several cars that do not have a spare, just a repair kit but I am not sure if this would work with the large tyres and high pressures found on PVC's
    As an alternative has anyone fitted a space saver spare tyre on the Ducato ?
    Guidance would be much appreciated.

2. Kool Kroozer

Kool Kroozer Funster

Yes you can get the repair kits for vans and trucks readily available on flee bay or amazon

3. kevan

kevan Funster Life Member

The one that came with our brand new m/h didn't work, found out when i wanted to put a bit of air in the Tyre just recently, when i go for service in November will ask them to replace warranty runs out end of November now carry a spare,.

4. Peter A Forbes

Peter A Forbes Funster

We wouldn't run any of our vehicles without a spare wheel.

'Get you home' kits often render the tyre unrepairable.

Our 6-wheel drawbar trailer carries two spares in the back, our 4-wheel trailer has a spare, the Mercedes has a new spare as it came without one.

Statistically you are less likely to have a puncture these days, but if you do it is going to be a real bummer when it happens somewhere remote and your repair kit won't work because the tyre is unseated off the rim or just damaged.

We are going to Lincoln this weekend, we are exhibiting at the show and all the 6 + 2 spares are checked over.

Peter

5. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

I would never travel without a spare, if you get a puncher 90% chance the side wall will be wrecked by time you have stopped.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Attila the Hen

Attila the Hen Funster

Hi all
    Many thanks for your input, will keep the spare and work round it to fit the step. It will probably mean making the step easily removable so we can drop the spare if needed but hey, I love a technical challenge.

7. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

If your van came with a spare wheel most breakdown services will not attend for a tyre related problem unless you have the spare with you.

They will come out if there was only a fix and go type system supplied from new.

Our van has the gunk but we carry a spare tyre (not a spare wheel). If we ever do have to call them out for a tyre problem I will tell them we have the gunk and carry a spare tyre but no spare wheel - that way they can send the correct kit to rescue us (I hope).