Free Member
Apr 6, 2016
Middlesbrough
Funster No
MH
Just looking befor buying
Exp
Did a three week grand tour of Spain
We are getting a new van on a Fiat Ducato chassis, the original spec did not include a spare wheel just some kind of re inflation set up. Im not to happy traveling without a spare ,What do you folk think? PS weight should not be an issue as we have gone for the upgraded chassis.

Cheers DC

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
We are getting a new van on a Fiat Ducato chassis, the original spec did not include a spare wheel just some kind of re inflation set up. Im not to happy traveling without a spare ,What do you folk think? PS weight should not be an issue as we have gone for the upgraded chassis.

Cheers DC
We looked underneath, decided that weight apart it was going to be a bit of a faff, so used "puncturesafe" instead. It works except in a catastrophic failure and we keep a close eye on pressures and condition. Well worth a look

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We got a new mhome a few months ago and carry a spare wheel , there is no real substitute . For me a must.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Only yesterday I decided to drag my spare wheel out from the garage .. (it lives between the double floor) .. to check it over and make sure it was serviceable.. You don't realise how heavy a 16" wheel and tyre are until you have to drag it.. o_O

Low and behold.. it had a brand new tyre.. little rubber spikes still on the tread.. and the wheel was also brand new.. no marks on the paint around the stud holes.. I conclude it's never been used.. so I then check the date code.... 5100 .. 51st week of the year 2000 ..:eek:

so it's the original Hymer fitted tyre .. and I guess it should be renewed.. but the walls show no sign of cracking.. and living in the dark all it's life and never exposed to UV .. it's probably fine to keep as a spare only.

point being.. 15 years old and the spare has never been used.. no punctures.. do you feel lucky ??

Last edited:

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
blowout (1).jpg
Without a spare wheel you are knackered if anything like this happens to you. This is the aftermath of a blow out on a Spanish motorway:

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Our new van came with an emergency repair kit - which is pretty much useless in most cases
We bought a spare wheel and tyre (new) off Ebay which we will use in an emergency
We also carry a Ring tyre inflator, which is brilliant.
Wouldn't travel without either

Nov 9, 2015
Shenfield, Essex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
35+ years mainly in VW's

Cheers DC

Dave

Exactly the same for me, my van (Carthago Malibu) is normally built on the 3300 chassis, but I opted for the 3500Kg upgrade. I don't trust those inflation kits (and they don't work if the sidewall gets split), so I contacted a company who advertise on eBay

PROMOTOR DIRECT LTD
WHEELS & TYRES SUPPLIED AND FITTED
Unit 2 Eagar Street
Manchester
M40 1EP
TEL: 01616811609
MOB: 07500977544
EMAIL: Broken Link RemovedBroken Link Removed
FAX: 01616811609

I requested a price for a price for a new 15" steel wheel fitted with a Michelin Agilis Camping 215/70R15CP and high pressure valve to fit and match with the existing wheels and tyres on my 2016 motorhome and they quoted £174.95 inc delivery. It took approx. 1 week from ordering to receiving the wheel.

For the spare wheel carrier, I ordered http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...3.TR0.TRC0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=172200931210&_sacat=0
(after confirming with them that my van had 15" wheels and was a panel van conversion and not a coachbuilt). Once again, delivery was about a week.

As for fitting, it was all fairly easy as all the required fixings were in place and it just needed bolting up (no need for any riv nuts to be used). All in all, it took approx. 40 mins to get the spare wheel carrier fitted and the spare wheel located on it and wound up.

I hear the arguments about how often there are punctures these days (fairly infrequent), but if and when you do have one, it has the potential to cause a long delay. If you have the spare wheel, that can get you moving quickly again

Cheers

Trevor

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If you buy a spare make sure you get the same tyre as on the van otherwise if you have to use it in France or Spain breakdown/tyre service will only fit tyres if both are the same make and type on the same axle.

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
Our van came with a spare but its so far underneath I haven't actually attempted to get it out and look at it.... I know, I know....
Job for this leave. I think I'd at least want to carry a spare rim in case of catastrophic damage. There isnt a jack and don't think I'll be carrying one.. Changing out a tyre on RH especially if it was an inner rear ... nah don't think so....
I too have the same inflator the AA guys use, brilliant and also invested in a Tyrepal system, that has amazed me since in how much tyre pressures change depending on weather etc etc.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I considered that in 50 years of driving the number of puncture's I have had can be counted on one hand, I thought I would have breakdown cover instead. Also I wouldn't like to change an offside tyre any where.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
I considered that in 50 years of driving the number of puncture's I have had can be counted on one hand, I thought I would have breakdown cover instead. Also I wouldn't like to change an offside tyre any where.
I wouldnt change a tyre no matter which side its on. Its a job for the breakdown man who should have the strength, the gear and the experience to do it safely. Those wheels are damn heavy!
And its a pound to a penny it will be pissing down with rain when your tyre blows (it was when ours went bang) - another good reason for letting someone else do it.

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
I wouldnt change a tyre no matter which side its on. Its a job for the breakdown man who should have the strength, the gear and the experience to do it safely. Those wheels are damn heavy!
And its a pound to a penny it will be pissing down with rain when your tyre blows (it was when ours went bang) - another good reason for letting someone else do it.
And another good reason for having a moho, you can sit inside allcozy with a cuppa while waiting for the cavalry to arrive :)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
If you buy a spare make sure you get the same tyre as on the van otherwise if you have to use it in France or Spain breakdown/tyre service will only fit tyres if both are the same make and type on the same axle.
How does that work when it's a space saving spare wheel?
Surely they must be a totally different size and type

Chaumo

Free Member
Apr 21, 2015
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
A few years
Nobody should travel without a spare wheel. Instead they should buy mine. It is the best wheel I have seen all week ! It is so splendid I may offer it to an art display !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back