Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The Fiat bolts are far longer than necessary for the steel wheel (y) as my picture earlier

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
I'd love to carry a spare - but where to put it? There is no room underneath and my lockers are not big enough. I carry a pair of crossed fingers and the breakdown recovery number - oh yes, and a 'phone!

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I'd love to carry a spare - but where to put it? There is no room underneath and my lockers are not big enough. I carry a pair of crossed fingers and the breakdown recovery number - oh yes, and a 'phone!
It's not really a problem in the UK but abroad you might have to wait days for a tyre.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
My neighbours Burstner with same bolts
image.jpeg

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I for one will never run without a spare wheel.

Mel
Totally agree first thing we did was get a spare there's no way I would change a wheel on the motorway call breakdown then at least you can be on your way and get tyre changed at your leisure.

sparky

Free Member
Feb 19, 2008
bingley yorkshire
Funster No
MH
a class burstner aviano i
Exp
30 years
Hi I also carry a 4 ton bottle jack don't trust the supplied sissor jack on dodgy ground and yes the wheel bolts are the same on my burstner alloys

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Being new to motorhoming I thought we'd covered all the bases but didn't read the bits about spare tyres obviously!
I'm more than a bit paranoid about tyre safety and after realising there's simply no room for a cradle under our Fiat chassis I've decided to keep a spare tyre in our Fiamma 500 backbox. I've got lightweight chairs and a 25L water carrier in there as well and it's all well within the weight limit advised for loading the back panel.
Together with TyrePal I feel it's the best I can do.
Love it when people post stuff like "not fit for purpose" and "I wouldn't drive etc. etc.". Doesn't help folk looking for a solution.

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
There's a lot of ifs and buts in this - it isn't just about whether you should have a spare or not. Can you get at a spare located underneath without having to jack up the van first? Crawling around under a jacked up van is not remotely a good idea. Do you feel confident and fit enough to change a wheel - are you a "hands on" or a "hands off" person and can you physically deal with the weight? If the answer to the above is yes, then a full spare wheel is the best solution, otherwise it would probably be advisable to never go anywhere there is not a cellphone signal as squirting goo into a tyre as a solution (no pun intended but enjoy it anyway) presupposes that all flats will be from a small hole. As someone who has ripped out the side of a tyre on one occasion, and lost most of the tread on another, I know that all flat tyres are not the same despite what some deal-hungry dealer may tell you.

I've had to change a wheel several times on motorhomes. A legacy of this is that I carry a full spare in the garage, along with a bottlejack, a length of wood to provide support on soft ground, a heavy duty pump and a rattlegun and protect all my tyres with Tyrepal.

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
I'm in two minds about spare wheels. I used to run 3.5 ton trucks commercially and never carried a spare wheel but checked pressures religiously and carried a good electric pump. Used to average about one puncture every ten years or so but then it was usually finding a slow puncture, pumping it up and trundling off to a tyre fitter. But I do carry a spare wheel in the motorhome as we have plenty of payload.

Aug 31, 2015
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt, AS Winchcombe
Exp
since 2013
we bought a spare wheel carrier designed for under a pick-up and then had someone fabricate it into something that would fit under the motorhome. Spare wheel now snug underneath and dont feel as nervous about going abroad now we have a spare.

Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680st
Exp
since 2001
we bought a spare wheel carrier designed for under a pick-up and then had someone fabricate it into something that would fit under the motorhome. Spare wheel now snug underneath and dont feel as nervous about going abroad now we have a spare.
Any info on the carrier please?

Andy

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
our new motorhome has no spare just a repair kit how good are they or has anyone gone out and got a spare i know its all about weight

Useless,,bit like a chocolate fireguard,,,BUSBY.

Mar 31, 2014
Stratford-upon-Avon, UK
Funster No
MH
BUCCANEER CARAVEL
Exp
SINCE 1975
wouldn't go away in the motorhome without a spare wheel and a bottle jack!I did try the scissor jack supplied as standard.It wasn't very good!!So bought a bottle jack from machine mart.Doe'snt take up much room and not heavy.Our two road cars have a repair kit but as we have found out twice they are useless if you have a blowout!!I wouldn't like to imagine what it would be like when we are a 1000 miles from home and waiting for a breakdown service who would arrive and not have a tyre to fit!!Even a wheel from abreakers yard that's from the same base vehicle would be better than no wheel at all!!

Aug 31, 2015
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt, AS Winchcombe
Exp
since 2013
IMG_7746.JPG
Any info on the carrier please?

Andy

It came off a Mercedes Sprinter chassis cab (our MH is a Sprinter coachbuilt) and had to be adapted to fit. We originally bought a carrier from a Sprinter van but it was too long. The chassis cab one was easily adapted.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I have a MkII prototype for sale in the classifieds if my memory serves me for 16" wheels

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
My spare is on the back door. As much as I'm probably going to get more benefit from life membership than most on here I still don't know if I could get it off and fitted by the motorway in the pouring rain..

androidGB

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
From your posts I realise you know your stuff , But stand by to fend off the coiled extension lead police :)

Andrew

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back