Spare Wheel Fitting Adria?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Bollard, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Bollard

Bollard Funster

Like most vans we had no spare wheel for our Adria Coral 670SL. I have managed to aquire a spare wheel (16" x 175). Bit of a beast and weights a ton second hand but dont really want to put it in the garage as the weight limit is 150KG. The rear has a bike rack so no go. I am not a DIYer so can anyone recommend a company who can undersling the spare wheel safely on my Adria. Your comments would be much appreciated. :cry:

2. golly

golly Funster

I have the same problem with my auto sleeper, bought a spare but n where to store or carry it. Thought about fastening it on the bike rack, but it's a lot of weight to be bouncing on the rack. So still driving with my fingers crossed that I don't get a puncture:Eek!:

3. lorger

lorger Funster

We have the same problem with our Adria 680, an attachment had been made to fit it to the towbar by the previous owner. I thought it was an ugly thing and have also removed the towbar as don't have any need for it, it must have weighed over 40kg.

I had a look under the van to see if there was a spare wheel carrier I think they have used it for the waste tank but I'm sure I can fit some kind of bracket to hold it in place, won't have time for a while so can't tell you how its went.

4. motorhomer

motorhomer Read Only Funster

I also bought a spare, which sits neatly flat on the floor in the garage with our chairs on top of it.

Why anyone thinks the can of goo that comes as standard is anywhere near good enough is beyond me! I leave mine at home which at least to a small extent compensates for some of the extra weight of the wheel.

Re the garage weight limit, mine is also 150kg, all I would say is that if you have the spare underslung the weight of the carrier would be extra to the weight of the wheel making the overall potential loading problem worse.

5. lorger

lorger Funster

I don't think the weight would be a problem for me as I have had the van uprated and if I was fitting it under the van I'd put it as far forward as possible.

As for the OP he mentions he has a bike rack on the back I would imagine this would greatly reduce the payload in the garage.

6. Xabia

Xabia Funster

Don't know if this will give you some ideas - http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/fo...l-carrier-for-Alko-heavy-chassis-D-I-Y/30732/

Mike

7. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

8. Techno

Picture taken June 16th after in excess of 4 thousand miles in all weather. Still there and attracted no muck
    [​IMG]

9. Techno

To simplify
    I manufactured this to fit my Alko HEAVY chassis. Dimensions of other alko's will be considerable different. My Rapido has the waste tank where a traditional Alko wheel carrier might have fitted but it would not have been accessible there anyway as the van garage continues after the chassis ends. Mine is fitted in front of the axle and I can retrieve the wheel in about 5 minutes

• Like Like x 1