Spare wheel carrier (1 Viewer)

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Philippft, thanks for the idea. I did consider strapping the wheel to my Fiamma bike rack which would be very easy but only practical when I'm not carrying the bikes. Nevertheless it could be a temporary solution to think about if needs must.
Just be careful in doing this. My spare wheel weigh's 27.2 Kilo's and will be subject to a fair amount of vibration and impacts when going over ramps potholes etc. With my setup the energy is absorbed on the rear chassis where the tow bar is fitted and not the fixings that hold the carrier to the Motorhome.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Can/do Breakdown vehicles carry equipment to change tyres ?
If they don't they can take wheel and tyre off to someone who can. Okay, not much good in the middle of the night but we aren't likely to be on the road then.

OP
OP
English Springer

English Springer

Free Member
Oct 26, 2014
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H601
Exp
Since 2012
The best possible solution seems to be to buy another MH with a spare as standard but that may be a bit drastic (and expensive). Thanks for all the advice given. :clap:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Al Weyman

Free Member
Apr 18, 2018
Funster No
Mine is seized up on a Citroen Relay I have bought, I have ordered a 2nd hand one should come today then the next task is getting the old wheel down. I was going to use an angle grinder and cut through the cables with a trolley jack under the spare to lower it down. Anyone else done this? I wondered how I got the van so cheap but I have sorted a few things out he forgot to tell me about and I think this is the last problem and should be ready to roll. I also wondered why no winch tool and the fact he gave me a new tin of Finelic tyre inflator lol!

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The wheel won't just fall off with the cable cut. The part that connects to the wheel sits in a saddle so you will need to push it towards the rear of the van to release it.

CA_07241419471198-X3.jpg

LeoTheLad

Free Member
Sep 2, 2016
Ross-on-Wye
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Similar to Al Weyman, the winch on the spare wheel cradle on my Citroen Relay has also seized. I had hoped to dismantle the winch and free it, but after removing 6 screws the cover will not budge. Has anyone had any success without going to the expense of a complete replacement cradle? Any help much appreciated.
Spare Wheel Winch Arrows.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Never had one apart, but it looks like the screws you took out hold the gears into the case. To open the case the rusty rivets will need drilling out. You have nothing to lose as it's seized anyway. Or remove the whole mechanism and soak in a bucket of diesel for a few days might allow you to free it off

LeoTheLad

Free Member
Sep 2, 2016
Ross-on-Wye
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi TheBig1,
Many thanks for your reply and suggestions. The winch, with the 6 screws back in although not fully tightened, is currently wallowing in 3.5 litres of BP's cheapest . This seemed the easiest option to start with. I am not needing the vehicle for a while so will leave it as long as possible before trying to free it. When I do, is it clockwise to lower the cradle (I don't want to break it at that stage)?
Thanks again.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back