Spare wheel access.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by grymbo, Nov 11, 2013.

1. grymbo

grymbo Read Only Funster

Hi. I have a Compass Avantgaurd 150, 2009 reg and having a terrible time accessing the spare wheel. I can't see anything in the hand book that remotely resembles the spare wheel carriage let alone information describing how to access this spare wheel. Although the description given is written in English it completely incomprehensible. The van I'm sure as most of you will know is built on Peugeot Boxer base and has a 2.2 diesel turbo engine. Any advise would be gratefully received.:Confused:

2. Mikeco

Mikeco Funster

Perhaps you could say where the spare wheel is located, is it also a Peugeot chassis with the spare wheel underneath at the rear?

Mike

3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

pictures would help if possible.

4. brynric

brynric Funster

By co-incidence I had to access the spare wheel from my Fiat Ducato this morning. It wasn't a happy experience.
    The Fiat spare is carried under the van, in the centre just behind the rear axle. I don't know if it's the same on toys, there may be variations.
    I have a long "jack handle" with a square end which passes through the plastic skirt and engages with a winding box which lowers the wheel. You then hook out the wheel and undo the nut which holds the winding cable to the wheel.
    I did a fair amount of grovelling and knuckle scraping. I did eventually get it free and fitted the spare but it was a grubby experience. Swearing at the mechanism only helped a little.
    If it's the same principle, best of luck.
    Bryn

• Like Like x 1
  5. grymbo

grymbo Read Only Funster

Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like the Fiat Ducata situation as described by brynric. Will have another go tomorrow and if unsuccessful will take some pics. Cheers Guys.:thumb:

6. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

my advice would be to ask a local tyre fitter to show you how to do it

I know on my van the bodywork makes it near on impossible to lower the spare. the easiest way is to slide under the van with a ratchet or spanner and turn the spool from there

otherwise call out the RAC or AA, whichever you are with to help change the wheel:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  7. dogman

dogman Read Only Funster

That's what you pay for.

8. Mousy

Mousy Funster Life Member

I'm jealous, we don't have a spare wheel.:Sad:

9. keith

keith Funster

We have a Boxer chassis with the spare underneath the van right at the rear.

I have managed to removed mine but it's not the best system I've seen. You need to unwind as much of the steel cable as possible so that you can slide the wheel out from under the body, if you have a long overhang I should imagine it will be near impossible.

As said get your recovery bod out and let them struggle. :BigGrin:

10. grymbo

grymbo Read Only Funster

Sorted! In the end called out the RAC. Everything fine now. Even know how to do it myself now:Doh: Thanks for the help guys.:thumb:

11. peter marshall

peter marshall

Hi
    Glad you got it sorted, My First van had it underneath at the back but never took it off, the Second had none but a blow up thingy never used, this one has a spare in the garage, BUT it was only after I loaded it up to the gunnels going to Spain this year I realized it was in the far corner :Doh::Doh:, what a stupid place to mount it, I relocated it near the door at the first opportunity hopefully never to be used. Pete :thumb::thumb:

12. Allanm

Allanm Funster

You're a brave man! We have the same carrier, I managed to wind it down to the ground but couldn't figure out how to get the wheel off the carrier, so wound it back up again. We have Peugeot breakdown cover, I'll ring them if we ever need to get the wheel off!

Allan

13. Moodybrook

Moodybrook Funster

I had a go with mine and it is not the most desired job on the side of a motorway, pouring rain as it surely will be.
    A tip for you, when lowering it, place a block of wood at the far side from what you are winding it down . So that the tyre lands on the block. This will tilt the whole wheel towards you, enabling you to get inside the wheel and get at the wee screw pin that needs to come out to allow tilting the suspension plate and releasing the wheel from the cable. Heavy lump of a wheel. maybe laying a mat under where the wheel will land, that also reaches to the outside of the van, pull the mat with wheel on it may make the job easier.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Moodybrook

Moodybrook Funster

The cable on mine is not long enough to reach the outside the side of the van body, so it is a get down and get dirty with it, underneath job:Sad:

15. rangitira

rangitira Funster

Took mine off the Bracket, it now resides in the Locker! No way was I going to grovel underneath, trying to get it out on the road side!
    AND!
    I have more respect for the Breakdown Fellas to ask them to do it!

16. busby

busby Funster

I Would not fancy that ! No spare wheel. BUSBY:Smile: