spare tyre in france

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Marvic, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Marvic

Marvic Funster

If you have 1 damaged tyre in france. Would you have to have the other side of van done. A pal said this is the law in france.:xdoh:

2. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Really? Same size, same construction even same make and tread pattern but fitted as a pair? Never heard that before.

3. moulin 87

moulin 87 Funster

It is difficult to buy single tyres in France, because tyre outlets should only sell/fit tyres which match the other tyre on the same axle in all aspects. It is not an issue with the French equivalent of an MOT, but the gendarmes may have an issue with different tyres in an accident etc.

I buy single tyres on the internet from Germany if I need to.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Marvic

Marvic Funster

I have nt made my self clear have l . My pal was towed to a garage. In france. To repair his trailer tyre. They said they can only supple 2 tyres. He objected. French English speaking chap said this the law.??. I myself thought this could be wrong. ?lm finding things out before l go end of may 2016. Thanks anticipation

5. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Ex Rochdale now Tavira, S. Brittany & Europe
    Sounds like take the p*** out of the English to me! I have bought single tyres in France in the past without a problem, was a few years ago though.

6. Lookaround

Lookaround Funster

I had a blow-out just over the border in Switzerland (from France) a couple of years ago and the dealer insisted I buy 2 tyres so maybe it's the same in France - a bit of a racket I think.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  7. stcyr

stcyr Funster

It is law to have identical tyres on the same axle.

8. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Identical, or the same rating which as far as I know is the same throughout the EU.

9. Geordies

Geordies Funster

On my Company car when a tyre needs replacing Kwik Fit phones the Leasing Co who tell Kwik Fit which tyre to fit (probably the cheapest decent make). I have argued the case in the past that if the other tyre on the same axle is getting low, but still legal, I want two the same put on that axle. No Chance !!!

So if I go to France in my Company car with two different tyres on the same axle am I breaking the law ? If so, that gives me good ammo when I next need a tyre changed.

10. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

:xsurprised::xsurprised:......Yeah Right!! Law hey... "show me which one" would have been my answer! Never heard of such a law. I would think it is much more something like "hey look ...a foreigner... let's sell a bit more!!"

I could have bought a single tyre for Max when I had the multi punctures problem last summer.
    But as the other one (both on rear axle) was the same date (2004...so 11 years of age!!) I decided to change both. they never told me to!
    I'm going to check this ....just in case, it could be different for a trailer, but I doubt it!

Edit : @matamoros @Marvic Obviously I should have shut my gob! RIGHT .... Law says you must have same "everything": type of tyre, trade, drawing on the tyre etc....A seller , is not there to make you buy 2 identical tyres! If you had a puncture you may have for a temporary time 2 different ones, the different one being your spare.

In any case, the seller should not oblige you to buy more than one, you could have a spare one at home of same type that you want to fit yourself!
    Hope this helps

• Like Like x 3
  11. moulin 87

moulin 87 Funster

A few years ago I had a puncture, tyre depot wanted to fit two tyres as per law, I said no, just one at the moment, he did so but insisted on writing on both copies of the invoice that I should have had two tyres fitted but had refused and he and I both signed it!!!

12. Mattyjwr

Mattyjwr Funster Life Member

I had to buy two tyres when we had a slash in one when leaving Luxembourg. Our Japanese campervan's tyre sizes were not available in the 6 places that we tried but we were able to get a tyre that was within tolerance for the wheel size but we had to buy two so that we had the same size on the axle.

13. Cyclewalkbob

Cyclewalkbob Funster

My friend who lives near Aix had a flat on his run flat tyres on his BMW. They would only sell him two. When he asked me I did not know of this rule but thought that if you put a new tyre on an axle with a used/part worn tyre would you not have different circumference tyres i.e. One full size and one smaller - up to 1-2cm depending on wear- therefore would the axle have wear issues and cause problems?

14. matamoros

matamoros Funster

If the tyre depot will only sell 2 then there is not a lot you can do about it in an emergency whether it is the law or not but I would insist on keeping the replaced good tyre if I had the space. If not I would insist the tyre was destroyed in my presence, or put a knife through it myself.

15. Phill D

Phill D

you can fit and drive legally in the UK with tyres on the same axle that are ; the same load rating, same ply rating; same size, same profile, but different makes .

so you drive over the channel and your vehicle is illegal :Eeek: really???

16. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Sounds like it. :xeek:

17. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

I had a similar tyre failure situation in France this year. The rule as it was explained to me is:

The tyre fitting garage must ensure you have the same tyre make/model/tread/size/load rating etc on both the offside and nearside of the same axle when fitting replacement tyres. Multiple axles can have different tyre makes as long as they follow the above rule.

A replacement (single tyre) was ordered with no pressure being applied to buy two. Unfortunately after a two day wait it didn't materialise. To expedite matters I had the garage order two tyres of a different make (non-camping car) which arrived two days later at a cost of €330 for the two including fitting.

As if that wasn't bad enough, I then had to explain (in my rudimentary French) how to remove and replace Tyron bands to a non-English speaking fitter.

To be fair the garage were extremely helpful.
    Triscos Automobiles Parentis-en-Born.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Phill D

Phill D

be interesting to see where that is written and translate it

19. moulin 87

moulin 87 Funster

It is illegal for the tyre depot to SELL/FIT a tyre on the same axle if it is different in any aspect incl. manufacturer and type to the other tyre, I think there is a 5mm tread allowance....It would not fail an MOT (Control Technique) but it could be considered to be a contributory factor in an accident by the Gendarmes if they couldn't find anything else.....

• Like Like x 1
  20. Phill D

Phill D

thanks for the info, where is that printed i.e. you can look up UK tyre laws.... dont disbelieve you but would like to see it so it takes away the " i know a person who knows " scenario

• Like Like x 1