Spare tyre cradle frame

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by sciac2001, Oct 10, 2013.

1. sciac2001

sciac2001 Funster

My Aviano is not equipped with a spare tyre. I have purchased a slightly used spare which I would like to carry around on our travels.
    I can load it into my rear garage but in order to minimise rear axle weight would prefer to position it nearer the front axle where I have more than enough spare weight capacity. I have identified a location under the front half of the motorhome where a tyre cradle could easily be accommodated but I do not know who I can approach for the fitting... or indeed for the manufacturing.
    I assume that a steel fabricator could create one from scratch but have also heard that there are some off-the-shelf frames available although I ave not been successful if identifying any.
    As always, any guidance much appreciated.
    Cheers

2. Roryboys Dad

Roryboys Dad Read Only Funster

Is your Aviano on a Fiat Ducato base?

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]If it is you can buy, but not in my opinion very cheaply, a new spare wheel carrier on Ebay for around £120 inc P&P.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]To find it on Ebay - FIAT DUCATO/PEUGEOT BOXER MOTORHOME SPARE WHEEL CARRIER/HOLDER 2006-2013 [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]You have to specify what size and type of wheels you have as it's not a one-fits-all device.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Also check there is enough room to fit it and it has ease of access when wanting to use the spare if you decide to buy one.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Getting a local fabricator to make a cradle might be a better option but again check the cost before having one made and one bought on Ebay.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]:france::france::france:[/FONT]

3. Trevsplace

Trevsplace Read Only Funster

trevsplace

I had the same issue with ours, bought a peice of 12mm threaded bar from B & Q. I bent it into a U shape slipped some old garden hose over it for protection, hooked it over the framework under the van, and fastened the spare wheel to it with a couple of 12mm nuts, then locked them with a couple of 12mm nylock nuts. Cost? can't remember, but it was'nt much!:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Roryboys Dad

Roryboys Dad Read Only Funster

Trevsplace - you don't by any chance have a photo of the spare tyre frame you devised?

5. Trevsplace

Trevsplace Read Only Funster

Spare wheel

motorhome is in storage 15 miles away at the moment, but should have it back in a week or two. I will happily post photo then.