Spare Thetford cassette: how to carry ? (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
I noticed you have a Liaka and my first motorhome was a Liaka 3L and it had a pull out loo ,like yours, but also there was a pull switch which open a valve to a big loo waste tank under the van ,separate from the waste water tank, but the problem was you had to fine the campsite with a place to empty the wasn't loo were you drive over just a idea if your motorhome has got one and you have not been told about it ? good luck:thumb:

Yep cheers for the heads up on that. I've seen these on a few vans but we don't have one. I think it's quite a big system that includes a macerator etc I haven't seen any that has both cassette and tank though

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Having just read this thread.....I just love my black tank and macerator :thumb:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
ive seen them strapped on to bike racks before

what KIds or Grandparents?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

edit: I should read to end of thread befor posting

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Having just read this thread.....I just love my black tank and macerator :thumb:

It does make sense to have a more Pro solution, don't know why macerator solutions aren't offered as an option, they seem rare these days unless someone has fitted it as DIY.

Pro van vs Icecream van me thinks:thumb:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
If you have a tow hitch---

Attachments

• loo.jpg
    loo.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 80
OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Looks military grade, would be handy after some Indian food.

Do you think you could use it on route:roflmto:

phodetheus

Free Member
Jan 20, 2014
Full timer
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
3 months
I used to do a lot of wild camping (in tents) with the Venture Scouts. Where we had to have a chemical toilet (girls made us take one) we would find a suitable spot, dig a hole, and empty it in that then fill it back in. Cheap solution, easy, and helps to keep you (well the ventures NOT me) fit ::bigsmile:.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I used to do a lot of wild camping (in tents) with the Venture Scouts. Where we had to have a chemical toilet (girls made us take one) we would find a suitable spot, dig a hole, and empty it in that then fill it back in. Cheap solution, easy, and helps to keep you (well the ventures NOT me) fit ::bigsmile:.

Am not quite sure if your friendly CC warden would condone you digging his site up and cr***ing in the hole you have just dug :whatthe:.

Jan 24, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Sold 😟
Exp
1990-2023

We have carried a spare cassette since I can remember, we also have this - it can be fixed beneath the mh, but ours has always been carried inside....we are only 2 but seem to empty the thing every 3 days but sometimes 2 if it looks like running out, but just swap over if nowhere to empty. We have a SOG, so no chemicals are used, and we can therefore do a bulk drop in a public loo if necessary, you do need to be very careful re spillages.

Carol

As we are picking up our next motorhome tomorrow, and as yet not sure whether our current model will fit, there may well be a used one for sale....watch this space.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
As a certain Victor Meldrew would say "I don't believe it!" :thumb:

We went to a our usual car boot sale/market this morning, I went one way and hubby the other, after a while he called to say he'd seen a used Thetford freshen-up kit for sale ... ie the original purchaser had used the new bits and this was the old cassette and toilet seat/cover. Fortunately I knew exactly which one we have so asked him to check ... eventually he told me it was the C250 which is ours! ::bigsmile:

I quickly high-tailed it over to him and had a shuftie - lo and behold it was definitely the right one and in good condition ... why the original purchaser changed them is beyond me as the seat is near as damn it pristine and the cassette very good too (they get a bit marked as soon as you use them for the first time anyway!). So £20 later we now have a spare cassette and seat (if we damage the other).

Now I've gotta decide where it will 'live' although I have already thought of ways to make a cassette 'housing' for under the van using strong plastic storage crate and/or a lidded kitchen waste bin ... no ex-fridge veg baskets this time! :RollEyes: I'll let you know what I end up doing but it will certainly be a damned site cheaper than the Fiamma offering. :yeah::yeah:

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Well done minx, what about a wire shopping basket?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
What a coincidence, today I found a Fiamma cassette storage box at a car boot:RollEyes:

You lucky person, you:thumb:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
What a coincidence, today I found a Fiamma cassette storage box at a car boot:RollEyes:

You lucky person, you:thumb:

Ooooo .... really!!!! How much!!!! Was it being sold by the flying pigs by any chance!!! :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Ooooo .... really!!!! How much!!!! Was it being sold by the flying pigs by any chance!!! :ROFLMAO:

The only chance is to find a second hand one that likely to still be dearer than a UK rep:Sad:

Good find on the kit, now lets see that DIY carrier, I want to "borrow" some ideas:winky:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
In case anyone is after a C200 Thetford cassette I've just spotted the one below on another forum's advertising section:

New Thetford c200 Cassette.Purchased as spare,sold motorhome hence sale. Oxfordshire area; Call 01865391738

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
The only chance is to find a second hand one that likely to still be dearer than a UK rep:Sad:

Good find on the kit, now lets see that DIY carrier, I want to "borrow" some ideas:winky:

I've nearly finished the kitchen - decorating, tiling and flooring done, just gotta finish odd bits on Monday - after which I'll be having a shuftie hopefully ... weather permitting. :thumb:

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
We have a SOG, so no chemicals are used,

Oh Carol, for the sake of others please realise that the only thing a SOG does is extract what you do not want to smell. It is the biggest marketing con ever!
I have spent the last two months it seems behind a Frenchman with a SOG. Does any body know where to buy gas masks?
If you put a couple of Coffee Scoups of any washing powder in the bowl and a quick brush round Then then deposit in the cassette, it cleans the bowl and keeps the contents bearable for the next person to use the emptying facilities.
Just look at the science.
I think the best suggestion to the OP, is leave the kids at home or as has been suggested teach them how to use it as Wild Campers do.
Spray bottle not auto flush. Flap open not closed. We manage at least five days sometimes seven. (Depends on the wine intake).
Out of interest we use a home made SOG, £5 rather than £100.

4maddogs

Free Member
Nov 16, 2010
North Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profilke
Exp
6 months
Just get the wife to empty it more frequently.

Let's be honest, it's no problem, is it ?

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]Nmokg9N7zO0[/MEDIA]"]caravan toilet - YouTube[/ame]

Yes it can be a problem. In winter in some places there are almost no public loos and campsites open are few and far between. Hence the need to store a cassette. I have yet to do this but intend to get a holder for under the chassis as I don't have a garage.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Store it wherever you like....and if full, just wrap a couple of layers of clingfilm round the middle part, covering the seal/slice, and then store horizontal and well packed to avoid it moving around, until you get the chance to empty it.

Citysafe

Free Member
Jul 11, 2016
Surrey UK
Funster No
MH
A Class EuraMobil
Exp
I made a small frame from angle and then used a bike lock to secure it. All good under the van.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Interested to know from anyone that's used one of these, any good ?
I fitted one under our Pilote but didn't pay that sort of money. I have to say I wouldn't be with out it, easy to use, secure and no smells

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Ours goes in the garage in one of those collapsable crates. I wrap it in a big polythene bag to keep any leaks or niffs in and it fits snug in the crate with other kit stacked on top.

Richard.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Our MH came with the external cassette holder but rarely been used but it's funny that when you need it it's hammering down with rain:) - and it's always a blue job not a pink job!

Joe

Citysafe

Free Member
Jul 11, 2016
Surrey UK
Funster No
MH
A Class EuraMobil
Exp
sorry I sold that van - I used that angle stuff with holes in - I made the box on the bench - then secured to the chassis outrigger and then self tapped the top into the floor - that meant I only had 2 sides hanging ( the bottom and the access end ) - the downside to this was I sort of had to crawl under the van to place it - I used a bike D lock to stop it and lock it - sorry if this not clear!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back