Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
.................And here's where I can help you, Mr B! (y)

For a VERY small outlet from your restricted budget, you can purchase one of these. :)

View attachment 157979

Let me run it through with you. Hold the instrument flat in your hand, and you will be amazed to see the center move round! On it's own! Now, by letting the dial settle, and looking at the 'N', thats NORTH!
All you have to do now is take it to Spain, follow the above instructions, and your problem is solved! (y)(y)

Once again you will notice how I have helped you out with an earth shattering problem........:)
come on now your getting technical.
the sun rises in the east ,sets in the west.
during the day if in the northern territories the sun on your face is sort of south and yout shadow is north . even better ot midday.
plus moss grows on the north side of rocks etc
if you have an old fashioned fingered watch you can use that to find your way.
at night use the stars .
cant always use the moon at night as it comes out in the day as well.
using a compass doesnt tell you where north is ..
but tells you where magnetic north is . if map reading you need to aline the map differently. due to the variation.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
the sun rises in the east ,sets in the west.
during the day if in the northern territories the sun on your face is sort of south and yout shadow is north . even better ot midday.
plus moss grows on the north side of rocks etc
if you have an old fashioned fingered watch you can use that to find your way.
at night use the stars .
cant always use the moon at night as it comes out in the day as well.

Hey, this is BUTTONS, not Ray Mears. Cut the guy some slack??

using a compass doesnt tell you where north is ..
but tells you where magnetic north is . if map reading you need to aline the map differently. due to the variation.
OK, a question: Your stranded behind enemy lines, but you have so far eluded capture by a fierce tribe of male sexual abusers. You have an escape compass, but no map. You know that friendly territory is NORTH.........So you start to worry about the earths magnetic alignment to true North?? :)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
.................And here's where I can help you, Mr B! (y)

For a VERY small outlet from your restricted budget, you can purchase one of these. :)

View attachment 157979

Let me run it through with you. Hold the instrument flat in your hand, and you will be amazed to see the center move round! On it's own! Now, by letting the dial settle, and looking at the 'N', thats NORTH!
All you have to do now is take it to Spain, follow the above instructions, and your problem is solved! (y)(y)

Once again you will notice how I have helped you out with an earth shattering problem........:)
Hello MrT...I possibly have forgotten more than you know about the compass and can quote all points including quarter points without hesitation.:) As for your cheap compass option, I have an adequate compass on my phone..(y) Pre sat days I used to plot my route to Spain using my compass and still say this is the best option when crossing large cities....so far so good(y)
Now one last question, which direction do you travel on the coast road between Valencia and Barcelona? I would say it was northerly...(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Hello MrT...I possibly have forgotten more than you know about the compass and can quote all points including quarter points without hesitation.:) As for your cheap compass option, I have an adequate compass on my phone..(y) Pre sat days I used to plot my route to Spain using my compass and still say this is the best option when crossing large cities....so far so good(y)
Now one last question, which direction do you travel on the coast road between Valencia and Barcelona? I would say it was northerly...(y)
that depends if the sea is on your left or the right .
more info required in the question please.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I have an adequate compass on my phone..(y)
Your lucky, Mr B.:( My Samsung will not support a compass.........:cry:

As you are no doubt aware, Mr B, I dont 'do' Spain, nor any other heathen country South of Dover. :)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Your lucky, Mr B.:( My Samsung will not support a compass.........:cry:

As you are no doubt aware, Mr B, I dont 'do' Spain, nor any other heathen country South of Dover. :)
I must pay more attention MrT as I wasn't aware of that.:) We are off to Cornwall in June, any recommendations....(y)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I must pay more attention MrT as I wasn't aware of that.
:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Which just goes to show your attention deficit, Mr B. :)

We are off to Cornwall in June, any recommendations....(y)
Ahhhhhhhhhh.........Cornwall. The home of the pasty with carrots, clotted creme teas, wreckers, pirates, footpads and robbers, and that's just in the resorts......Right. So, your in Spain right now?? Head NORTH, until you arrive at the sea. That's called 'The English Channel'. You need to cross that first to return to safety. (y)

Have you perchance considered Skegness?? o_Oo_O

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
yes polzeath,daymer bay. or trenarren for snorkelling.
again hug the coasts its a fantastic county.
if you near roche give a shout possibly have a night in my drive .
not far from eden project.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Which just goes to show your attention deficit, Mr B. :)

Ahhhhhhhhhh.........Cornwall. The home of the pasty with carrots, clotted creme teas, wreckers, pirates, footpads and robbers, and that's just in the resorts......Right. So, your in Spain right now?? Head NORTH, until you arrive at the sea. That's called 'The English Channel'. You need to cross that first to return to safety. (y)

Have you perchance considered Skegness?? o_Oo_O
I have done all that Mablethorpe Skegness thing but wasn't impressed,:unsure: I prefer south side of the Wash or is that east side. :)

OP
OP
Sallytrafic

Sallytrafic

Free Member
Aug 20, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt on Transit
Exp
since 1988
We are back now we are off to Finland but we are not Finnish virgins.

OP
OP
Sallytrafic

Sallytrafic

Free Member
Aug 20, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt on Transit
Exp
since 1988
Like what he said!!. Nice to hear you are still travelling and exploring.
Do you still have your much-enhanced bespoke Chausson van?
Best wishes, Mike
Yep hardly any modifications left to make these days just running repairs. New Cap for Cassette that sort of thing

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Yep hardly any modifications left to make these days just running repairs. New Cap for Cassette that sort of thing
Great stuff!

The modifications and improvements you made we're amazing.

We traded in our Chausson (Flash S2) last summer - after 5 rewarding years - for a Rapid V68 pvc - fixed twin beds in the back.

Safe travels.

Cheers, Mike

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back