Spanish Traffic Laws & Highway Robbery (1 Viewer)

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Been on before !!

Similar posts abound, BUT...It's worth repeating now and then as a warning as to the dangers that are around for the unsuspecting traveller !!

Thanks for the reminder !:Cool::Cool::Cool:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Something that we should adopt over here................Quote: - Drivers should ensure 1.5 metres of lateral spacing when passing a bike, allowing cycles to occupy part or all of adjacent or opposite lanes, and ensuring that vehicles involved in overtaking moves must not jeopardise or hinder the progress of cyclist moving in the opposite direction.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Something that we should adopt over here................Quote: - Drivers should ensure 1.5 metres of lateral spacing when passing a bike, allowing cycles to occupy part or all of adjacent or opposite lanes, and ensuring that vehicles involved in overtaking moves must not jeopardise or hinder the progress of cyclist moving in the opposite direction.:thumb:

How about enforcing the Highway Code for cyclists?
Many of these muppets are so bloody arrogant in thinking that they should take priority over all other traffic.
I once saw one of these invincible pillocks try to force his way in front of a bus.
He lost.
I'm not an unsympathetic bloke, but my only sympathy was for the bus driver.
He has to live with the death of a pillock for the rest of his life.

"Think bike"?.....Cyclists should "Think Motor Vehicle".

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
How about enforcing the Highway Code for cyclists?
Many of these muppets are so bloody arrogant in thinking that they should take priority over all other traffic.
I once saw one of these invincible pillocks try to force his way in front of a bus.
He lost.
I'm not an unsympathetic bloke, but my only sympathy was for the bus driver.
He has to live with the death of a pillock for the rest of his life.

"Think bike"?.....Cyclists should "Think Motor Vehicle".
So what do you think of adopting the 1.5m rule over here....it has got to improve the safety for cyclists surely. Great idea......yes:thumb:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
YIPPPPPEEEE!

It has turned into a motorist v cyclist thread.

Aways GREAT for a punch up on Fun.

I ride a bike... I jump traffic lights... I ride on the pavements... I go up one way streets the wrong way...

Never hurt myself or anyone else because I take care and DECIDE if it safe for me and I ALWAYS consider the people around me.

So there!

Stick that in your e-cig and smoke it.

JJ :Cool:

PS. Don't speed and you don't get speeding fines.

Last edited:

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
YIPPPPPEEEE!

It has turned into a motorist v cyclist thread.

Aways GREAT for a punch up on Fun.

I ride a bike... I jump traffic lights... I ride on the pavements... I go up one way streets the wrong way...

Never hurt myself or anyone else because I take care and DECIDE if it safe for me and I ALWAYS consider the people around me.

So there!

Stick that in your e-cig and smoke it.

PS. Don't speed and you don't get speeding fines.

So you break the law, but that's OK because its you doing it and you're special so the law doesn't apply? An interesting perspective on social responsibility.

Now excuse me I'm off to rob a bank but it's OK it's only me doing it and I always make sure it's safe for me and consider people around me.

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Movinon.......only 56 posts !:Blush:

Too soon to know that JJ and his people just love being controversial:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

p.s. He rides a Solex !! Can't speed on one of those !!!!:Doh::Doh::Doh:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
So you break the law, but that's OK because its you doing it and you're special so the law doesn't apply? An interesting perspective on social responsibility.

Now excuse me I'm off to rob a bank but it's OK it's only me doing it and I always make sure it's safe for me and consider people around me.

Well... equating riding a bicycle on the pavement to robbing a bank probably means we won't be spending much time chatting to each other but I will just say...

If I am cycling along a totally deserted road and a traffic light turns red but I can clearly see there are absolutely NO vehicles anywhere then I am not going to sit there waiting for green to show. I'll "break the law" and ride on.

If you choose to wait then so be it.

Many people do blindly do what what they are told to do even if it is a light bulb telling them to do it.

Not me...

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Anyway, I would love to see the 1.5m rule here, the current guidance in the Highway Code is ambiguous at best and it needs something specific. Can't see it happening though because at the risk of taking this thread off into the undergrowth the current lot at too worried about UKIP and what little policy UKIP seem to have on the subject is pretty anti-cycling, based on the utterances I have read from some of them.

Cycling and UKIP in the same post. What an explosive mixture!

Last edited:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I assume adding UKIP into the thread is just to bring in some light humour!

Let's admit it... UKIP and their supporters are pretty funny... Farage really gets me laughing...

What a joke.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
How the hell does a thread on Spanish Traffic Laws get to be a thread on UKIP :Eeek::Eeek:
Think I'll give up reading and sit in the sunshine with a beer or maybe even watch the football :Doh::Doh:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Many people do blindly do what what they are told to do even if it is a light bulb telling them to do it.

Not me...

In Southport last weekend, the number of people stood staring at a red "do not cross" light when there was not a vehicle in sight was horrendous. Have we no longer got the brain power to cross a road unaided now ?

I moaned at 'er indoors for pressing the button when there was little traffic.

With a dead brain and a green light do the numpties just walk under the wheels of the chav boy racer ? Then sue the council because the light was green ?

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
Movinon.......only 56 posts !:Blush:

Too soon to know that JJ and his people just love being controversial:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

p.s. He rides a Solex !! Can't speed on one of those !!!!:Doh::Doh::Doh:

Yes I had realised that from his use of large letters. It's OK, I was a teenager once myself. I'm just rather bored being stuck in a CP at the moment whilst her-in-van does the laundry. :cry:

As for the 56 posts (wow - has it been that many!), your point is well taken on the importance of quantity over quality..... :thumb:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
They might be large on your screen but what might be large to you is normal to me...:winky:

And putting aside font sizes for a moment...

Do you really equate riding a bicycle on the pavement to robbing a bank?

Would you really sit at the red light waiting for a green one?

Last edited:

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
I have developed a technique for taking cyclists on pavements off their bikes, with no damage to myself. Used it too. When you come out of hospital you then get done for riding on the pavement and hitting a pedestrian. Hilarious.

How safe on the pavement do you feel now?

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
So what do you think of adopting the 1.5m rule over here....it has got to improve the safety for cyclists surely. Great idea......yes:thumb:

Nonsense!
How would the rule be applied to cyclists in keeping 1.5m away from everything they pass?

Other cyclists?
Red lights?
Riding across zebra crossing?
Overtaking on the inside?
Riding through pedestrianized areas?
Ignoring the presence of other traffic (they are invincible)?
Ignoring warnings from road signs and motorists (arrogant pillocks)?

I would suggest that a great many cyclists are more of a danger to the fee paying (hold that thought) motorist than vice versa.
I pay dearly to use the roads, cyclists don't pay a bean.
That alone gives ME priority.

Don't go on about what they pay for their cars, etc. we are talking about bikes.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Movinon;1036193[HI said:
]I have developed a technique for taking cyclists on pavements off their bikes, with no damage to myself[/HI]. Used it too. When you come out of hospital you then get done for riding on the pavement and hitting a pedestrian. Hilarious.

Walking stick in the spokes, or a gentle shove?:ROFLMAO:

All this whining about the goody goody cyclists is crap.
They should be fair game.:thumb:

Last edited:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Paying gives you rights?

Really?

Interesting concept.

An HGV pays more than a car. Does the truck have more rights?

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I have developed a technique for taking cyclists on pavements off their bikes, with no damage to myself. Used it too. When you come out of hospital you then get done for riding on the pavement and hitting a pedestrian. Hilarious.

This is developing nicely... soon we will be getting nicely rufty tufty...:thumb:

You, Mr Moving On, will never knock me off my bike!

I feel just as safe now as I did before reading about your violent actions.

So... I answered your question re how safe I feel... how about you answering my questions about red light bulbs and/or bank robbery...

(Don't lose heart... this is Fun!)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Nonsense!
How would the rule be applied to cyclists in keeping 1.5m away from everything they pass?

Other cyclists?
Red lights?
Riding across zebra crossing?
Overtaking on the inside?
Riding through pedestrianized areas?
Ignoring the presence of other traffic (they are invincible)?
Ignoring warnings from road signs and motorists (arrogant pillocks)?

I would suggest that a great many cyclists are more of a danger to the fee paying (hold that thought) motorist than vice versa.
I pay dearly to use the roads, cyclists don't pay a bean.
That alone gives ME priority.

Don't go on about what they pay for their cars, etc. we are talking about bikes.
I think you have entered that own agenda tunnel again John.
Here is my post again.......take a deep breath and have another read. I have painted it blue to save any more confusion:Confused:

Drivers should ensure 1.5 metres of lateral spacing when passing a bike, allowing cycles to occupy part or all of adjacent or opposite lanes, and ensuring that vehicles involved in overtaking moves must not jeopardise or hinder the progress of cyclist moving in the opposite direction.

Agree with this proposal or not.......simples:Cool:

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Paying gives you rights?

Really?

Interesting concept.

An HGV pays more than a car. Does the truck have more rights?

Yes the truck has more rights........cos they play squash better:ROFLMAO:

Well I thought it was funny::bigsmile:

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
Sorry. Laundry's done and so am I. I am commanded to lend a hand by her-in-van. You'll just have to play by yourself or it's back to the XBox I suppose. Watch yourself bullying pedestrians though, I may not be the only one whose developed the art of Bikeido. Bye.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Cyclists round my way are a pain in the arse, they cannot keep close to the kerb when it is obvious they are holding up a stream of traffic behind them.

On one road they could quite safely ride on the kerb out of the way, no pedestrians, cycling along a busy areterial feed road into town on a simple two lane road with a 40 mph limit when all they peddle at is 20mph is going to cause resentment.

In London the way they dodge around in multi lane traffic is horrifying, n wonder there are accidents

Peter

OP
OP
Ninovan
Oct 27, 2013
Portglenone, Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum185GT
Exp
Since July 2012
I can remember as a kid getting a right telling off & a clip round the ear from the local village bobby for riding my bike on the pavement. Why should it all have changed now & cyclists be allowed to endanger pedestrians? :whatthe: More than once I have had to move out of the way pretty smartish of a bike being ridden on the pavement.

Last edited:

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
I can remember as a kid getting a right telling off & a clip round the ear from the local village bobby for riding my bike on the pavement. Why should it all have changed now & cyclists be allowed to endanger pedestrians? :whatthe: More than once I have had to move out of the way pretty smartish of a bike being ridden on the pavement.

When i was 15 i rode on the pavement, me mate rode on the road, neither of us had lights on our bikes (it was dark) police woman pulls up takes our names an addresses an we both went to juvenile court, i was fined £30 for riding on the path an me mate was fined £40 for riding on the road without any lights:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: how times have changed:RollEyes:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
[HI]Cyclists round my way are a pain in the arse, they cannot keep close to the kerb when it is obvious they are holding up a stream of traffic behind them.[/HI]

On one road they could quite safely ride on the kerb out of the way, no pedestrians, cycling along a busy areterial feed road into town on a simple two lane road with a 40 mph limit when all they peddle at is 20mph is going to cause resentment.

In London the way they dodge around in multi lane traffic is horrifying, n wonder there are accidents

Peter
To be fare Peter riding close to the kerb has it's own hazards. Potholes groves and debris can all through you off under the car that is sitting on your rear wheel. Swerving around sunken drain covers can be deadly too.

Falcon 269

Free Member
Jul 11, 2013
Melton Mowbray, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I live, drive and ride in Spain and have to put up with the lycra-clad hordes of pedal-philes here year-round.

I'll give them 1.5 mtrs lateral clearance if they'll stop riding 2 or 3 abreast, in groups of 10 plus, chatting and completely ignoring the motorists sharing the roads with them. Their arrogance and ignorance has to be seen to be believed.

They clearly seem to enjoy 'special treatment' privileges, so allowing them to effectively close one lane by imposing a 1.5 mtr buffer zone when a pair of them command at least 2 mtrs of road already is just another step to granting them total control of the roads.

Personally, I think riding 2-abreast should be punishable by ramming.:Angry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back