Spanish touring rules (1 Viewer)

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
Hi all,

What are the rules when touring in Spain?

Some of the things I'm on about are:-

• Hi-vis vests?
  • Spare bulbs?
  • Breakdown warning triangles?
  • Those square boards with red stripes and reflectors for bike racks/trailers?
  • Carrying documents in car?

(not an exhaustive list and more than happy to have stuff added)

Thanks
Bryan

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Visibility Vests are compulsory in Spain. There should be a vest for every occupant and put on before getting out of the vehicle.

Replacement bulb set is compulsory.

Warning triangle is compulsory. One only is required for non-Spanish registered vehicles.

Documentation: always carry your driving licence, vehicle registration document (V5), and certificate of motor insurance. If your licence does not incorporate a photograph ensure that you carry your passport to validate the licence. If the vehicle is not registered in your name, carry a letter from the registered owner giving you permission to drive.

Headlamp converters are compulsory.

Snow chains are recommended to be carried in the Spanish Pyrenees and all mountainous regions of Spain during winter, and if you do not carry and fit them when conditions demand then the police can prevent you from continuing your journey.

The law operating in Spain regarding the use of indicators on motorways is being strictly enforced. You risk being fined for not indicating before overtaking and again before pulling back to the nearside lane after overtaking. Also, ensure you do not cross the solid white line as you enter the motorway from a slip road, but wait until the line is broken.

Dipped headlights should be used in poor daytime visibility.

Spain has strict drink driving laws, only allowing 0.5 milligrams of alcohol per millilitre of blood.

Speeding and other traffic offences are subject to on-the-spot fines.

Jun 15, 2010
glasgow
Funster No
MH
banger autotrail
Exp
Visibility Vests are compulsory in Spain. There should be a vest for every occupant and put on before getting out of the vehicle.

Replacement bulb set is compulsory.

Warning triangle is compulsory. One only is required for non-Spanish registered vehicles.

Documentation: always carry your driving licence, vehicle registration document (V5), and certificate of motor insurance. If your licence does not incorporate a photograph ensure that you carry your passport to validate the licence. If the vehicle is not registered in your name, carry a letter from the registered owner giving you permission to drive.

Headlamp converters are compulsory.

Snow chains are recommended to be carried in the Spanish Pyrenees and all mountainous regions of Spain during winter, and if you do not carry and fit them when conditions demand then the police can prevent you from continuing your journey.

The law operating in Spain regarding the use of indicators on motorways is being strictly enforced. You risk being fined for not indicating before overtaking and again before pulling back to the nearside lane after overtaking. Also, ensure you do not cross the solid white line as you enter the motorway from a slip road, but wait until the line is broken.

Dipped headlights should be used in poor daytime visibility.

Spain has strict drink driving laws, only allowing 0.5 milligrams of alcohol per millilitre of blood.

Speeding and other traffic offences are subject to on-the-spot fines.
how many pints is that rob.:Sad:

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
how many pints is that rob.:Sad:

The legal drink drive limit can’t be safely converted into a certain number of units, as it depends on a number of factors, which include gender, body mass and how quickly your body absorbs alcohol into the blood stream.

However, Pappajohn is right, a pint will probably put you over the limit in Spain. Safer to drink non-alcoholic beer - if you can get it in Spain. You would have to ask for ‘cerveza sin alcohol’.

Something I forgot to mention; if your vehicle breaks down in Spain then you are not allowed to repair it at the roadside. You must call for a breakdown truck - in Spain it's called a 'grua'.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bryan

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
What's the proper name for:

Those square boards with red stripes and reflectors for bike racks/trailers?

As I need to know what to search for on ebay etc.:ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+

There you go mate..........

Link Removed

Only thing I would say, is that there's no corner reflectors. Are they legally required? Can't see Fiamma messing that one up?

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09

I found mine using this Motorhome Fiamma Plastic Rear Reflector Signal
Caravan Stuff 4 U Ltd£10.99 + £1.99
Kath

Apr 27, 2009
Departed Cabopino in Oct 17
Funster No
MH
Dakota
Exp
Fulltiming from 2010- 2017
Spain - Pushbikes

Hi

Anyone know the law in Spain for wearing helmets whilst cycling?

Clearly loads of people dont, some do & I've heard from someone in La Manga who says the police are enforcing them quite strictly - yet here in Benicasim they dont give a hoot!

So, whats the law & does it vary from region to region?

Cheers

Billkce

I'm not wearing one anyway!:Angry:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
A little known law that came into practice either this year or the end of last year... in Spain.. :whatthe:

It is illeagal to drive with Flip-Flop type shoe`s or sandals or shoes with no back,, ie "slip on`s"..... :Sad:

That is true but not a lot of people know that,, soon find out when you get pulled and on the spot fine = 100 euros.. :cry:

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Hi

Anyone know the law in Spain for wearing helmets whilst cycling?

Clearly loads of people dont, some do & I've heard from someone in La Manga who says the police are enforcing them quite strictly - yet here in Benicasim they dont give a hoot!

So, whats the law & does it vary from region to region?

Cheers
Billkce

I'm not wearing one anyway!:Angry:

The Spanish helmet law came into effect in 2004. Nevertheless, it does not apply to cyclists riding in towns and cities; during periods of extreme heat; when riding up steep hills; or to professional cyclists.

It's a stupid, inconsistent law if it doesn't apply in towns, or when it's hot, or when going uphill. So it seems that the only time you need to wear one, providing it’s not too hot, is on the flat or downhill out of town.

A fine of up to EUR90 can be imposed for not wearing a helmet. However, it is not a priority for the Guardia Civil, who alone have responsibility for enforcement. That’s probably because if they see you riding down a hill without a helmet then all you have to do is turn the bike around and pedal back up the hill and you are legal again ..............

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Make sure all intended drivers are named on your travel insurance policies:thumb::thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
If you fall off and hit your head its to late to put one on then:Eeek:
True, but.....

Cycle helmets are so crappy and small you've got to have just the right accident for them to save you. Well, that's my take on it, so I'm willing to accept the risk of not wearing one.

A good few years ago I clipped a curb in the dark on my bike, it slammed me sideways. I heard and later saw the chin guard well scraped, I'd have had no skin on my chin with a cycle helmet. Got a hole in my knee for good measure. I was only at pushbike speed.

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Get a helmet...........period!
i know you'll feel a pillock, but believe me, it's better than a split skull which can happen very, VERY easily.................

..............especially if you're daft enough to scream down a mountain track a 30 +, jam your wheel in a cart rut and gracefully fly through the air till your bonce takes out the top two layers of a dry stone wall:Doh:

Least that's what my mates said I did!:ROFLMAO:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
i know you'll feel a pillock, but believe me, it's better than a split skull which can happen very, VERY easily............

Got one, each.

What about gloves ? I always wear gloves, we all put our hands out to protect ourselves, they damage just like heads. Well not quite like heads but missing fingers are a bad thing.

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Got one, each.

What about gloves ? I always wear gloves, we all put our hands out to protect ourselves, they damage just like heads. Well not quite like heads but missing fingers are a bad thing.

VERY good point. :thumb: Quite apart from being good protection, most gloves have padded palms in them which makes gripping the handlebars (even on a gentle sightseeing ride) much more comfortable.::bigsmile:

I remember years ago having a road bike accident going down hill. i came off and slid down the tarmac for quite some distance. My right palm was virtually down to the bone and took a hell of a long time to heal.

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
i know you'll feel a pillock, but believe me, it's better than a split skull which can happen very, VERY easily.................

..............especially if you're daft enough to scream down a mountain track a 30 +, jam your wheel in a cart rut and gracefully fly through the air till your bonce takes out the top two layers of a dry stone wall:Doh:

Least that's what my mates said I did!:ROFLMAO:

ANY POINT IN WEARING A CYCLE HELMET HERE? ....... OR WOULD A PARACHUTE BE MORE APPROPRIATE?
bike1.jpg

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
ANY POINT IN WEARING A CYCLE HELMET HERE? ....... OR WOULD A PARACHUTE BE MORE APPROPRIATE?

STREWTH!!!!:Eeek: I'll be the first to admit i was a bit of a barmy b*gger on a mountain bike, but I never had THAT sort of bottle!
RESPECT!:thumb:​

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back