Spanish Roundabouts - The good .... and the bad! (1 Viewer)

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Posted for information.

Debating and moaning about the "right way", "wrong way" or even "our way" will not make a blind bit of difference if you are pulled by the GC. This is how it is done in Spain and members need to be aware....... there is only the Spanish Way in Spain.

Good luck with the video, below. Enjoy!!

BTW....... Mal (red) = bad. Bien (green) = good.

The DGT has published a video about how to drive on a roundabout, we hope this video will be helpful for you ;)

http://revista.dgt.es/es/multimedia...16/0519-Glorietas-animadas.shtml#.V2SlL5OLSAw

Bryan.

Deleted User
Looked good to me, that's the way I do it, but not in Portugal.......different there, new rules introduced a couple of years ago.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Interesting, the car who joined the roundabout behind the group of cyclists, was indicating right whilst he was waiting for them to pass - however once he got onto the roundabout - he went straight on, still indicating!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
Interesting, the car who joined the roundabout behind the group of cyclists, was indicating right whilst he was waiting for them to pass - however once he got onto the roundabout - he went straight on, still indicating!

Never noticed that, don't think I would do that though not an uncommon occurence anywhere!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I suspect that is an error in the video because the car at the beginning of the video going straight on doesn't start indicating until it has passed the first exit.

Interesting, unlike the UK a car doing a left turn or a u turn does not use its left indicator. Only the right when approaching the exit.

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Our own DVSA and/or Highway Code publishers could learn from this very simple explanation.

Deleted User
I suspect that is an error in the video because the car at the beginning of the video going straight on doesn't start indicating until it has passed the first exit.

Interesting, unlike the UK a car doing a left turn or a u turn does not use its left indicator. Only the right when approaching the exit.

Never noticed that either!

I thought the use of indicators anywhere in Southern Europe ( inc France ) was purely optional:)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Not much use in Italy, most of the b*ggers on the road don't indicate AND go in the wrong lanes too!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Our own DVSA and/or Highway Code publishers could learn from this very simple explanation.

Spain or rather the Spanish would do well to learn from British drivers.. and driving instructors..

The UK has one of the lowest road fatality rates, not only in Europe, but in the World..

Road Deaths
Spain 53 per million inhabitants
UK 30 per million inhabitants

2104 data .. http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-15-4656_en.htm
and the UK has one of the highest densities of both vehicles and population

I know where I feel safer driving..

Sep 18, 2011
Coventry. England
Funster No
MH
Bessacar
Exp
Since 2009
In Spain at the moment with our Scooter, used the correct lane procedure and indication, but still managed to get knocked off our Scooter by a Spainish Lady who decided to cut across lanes on the roundabout because she changed her mind about what exit she wanted to use. But she insisted it was my fault after she did another lap around the roundabout and stopping on the roundabout, to see the result of her actions. People near by just laughed at her actions whilst tapping their foreheads pointing at her.
No real damage, slight paint graze to Scooter and us, just shaken up. Just be very very alert of other drivers actions on the roundabouts is the best advice

Basa

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
In Spain at the moment with our Scooter, used the correct lane procedure and indication, but still managed to get knocked off our Scooter by a Spainish Lady who decided to cut across lanes on the roundabout because she changed her mind about what exit she wanted to use. But she insisted it was my fault after she did another lap around the roundabout and stopping on the roundabout, to see the result of her actions. People near by just laughed at her actions whilst tapping their foreheads pointing at her.
No real damage, slight paint graze to Scooter and us, just shaken up. Just be very very alert of other drivers actions on the roundabouts is the best advice

Basa
The only time I've been knocked off was in the UK when going round a roundabout when an idiotic woman pulled out in front of me onto it ... she didn't see me or my bright silver scooter!

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Yes, I am very aware of the Highway code and the regular messages the publishers send out to interested parties - I subscribe to that service myself. The point I am making is that both DVSA asnd the HC could move a little further into the modern world by making use of animated features rather than just relying on the printed word - the old saying about one picture and a thousand words holds true I think.

I am also aware that the UK is one of the safer countries (in terms of road use) as I make use of these figures in several training courses.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Yes, I am very aware of the Highway code and the regular messages the publishers send out to interested parties - I subscribe to that service myself. The point I am making is that both DVSA asnd the HC could move a little further into the modern world by making use of animated features rather than just relying on the printed word - the old saying about one picture and a thousand words holds true I think.

I am also aware that the UK is one of the safer countries (in terms of road use) as I make use of these figures in several training courses.
Just a pity the Highway Code didn't give better and clearer advice on how motorists should react to cyclists - and have this backed up by the sort of laws they have in France for example to protect cyclists and pedestrians.

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
One thing you see on Spanish Roundabouts that you DON'T in England.

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Just a pity the Highway Code didn't give better and clearer advice on how motorists should react to cyclists - and have this backed up by the sort of laws they have in France for example to protect cyclists and pedestrians.
Quite agree, and that is exactly where we could learn something from the animations on the Spanish roundabout.

Reactions: DBK

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
One thing you see on Spanish Roundabouts that you DON'T in England.

I've see her - and gangs of her mates - all along the Beziers - Narbonne road. (except near the towns - or any official commercial enterprises with a road frontage or houses LOL) There are also various white vans parked anyhow on the verges from time to time; never worked out whether they belonged to customers or the girls employers though!

Oooh look - someone's obviously brought their lunch! - what nice people to work for .......

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I have no problems on roundabouts in the camper. But, I do have to be extra careful on the bike :)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Spain or rather the Spanish would do well to learn from British drivers.. and driving instructors..

The UK has one of the lowest road fatality rates, not only in Europe, but in the World..

Road Deaths
Spain 53 per million inhabitants
UK 30 per million inhabitants

2104 data .. http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-15-4656_en.htm
and the UK has one of the highest densities of both vehicles and population

I know where I feel safer driving..
Thats because our roads are so congested our average speed is the lowest in Europe,,,BUSBY:):):)

Geejay

Free Member
Dec 25, 2011
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Re Road Deaths. According to Wiki, quoting the WHO, around half the world's fatalities are amongst vulnerable road users, (cyclists, pedestrians and motorcyclists). While 31% are among car occupants. It would be interesting to see a country by country breakdown, because bald statistics don't give the complete picture.

PS the 2014 figure for Spain/UK are: 36/29 per million in that EU doc.

Personally, I prefer driving on Spanish motorways to those in England, which I find something of a nightmare, coming from quiet roads in Scotland - although I know motorways are the safest, or at least have the fewest casualties.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back