Sep 10, 2015
Grimsby
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Four years
Advice please.

We will be travelling from Cabo de Gata to Conil as part of our 2017 adventure. For those of you who've done this journey, would you recommend the coast road or the Granada-Seville motorway?

I understand it's too far to do comfortably in a day, so recommendations for overnight stop would also be appreciated.

Deleted User
We have travelled quite a few times from Los Escullos to Portugal via Granada and Seville, it is a good road with nice scenery but going to Conil is a bit of a long way round. Can't comment on the coast as we have not used it for years, the section East of Malaga used to be terrible but that was 20 years ago and it has been improved since.

There is an ACSI site at Humilladero, near Antequera that is useful, if I was doing the trip I would stop there or Ronda, and visit the town, then drive through the white villages to the coast near Algericas and past Gibraltar to Conil.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I would make a slight detour to visit Ronda on the way. Would not personally take the motor home into the town but it's lovely there.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Have you done the Alhambra ?

Granada Seville has some really different sights - like the moon in places.

Which coast road ? The motorway - see nothing or the real coast road, see a bit and crawl crawl.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We've done both and much prefer going up over the mountains and as previously said you can take in Ronda it's lovely up there.(y)(y)(y)(y)

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Advice please.

We will be travelling from Cabo de Gata to Conil as part of our 2017 adventure. For those of you who've done this journey, would you recommend the coast road or the Granada-Seville motorway?

I understand it's too far to do comfortably in a day, so recommendations for overnight stop would also be appreciated.

We're doing the same trip. Have booked Santander ferry for 10th Feb, and planning on spending the last 2 weeks of Feb at los Escullos. At the moment, we're thinking that we'll probably take the inland route to Conil, allowing ourselves about 2 weeks to get there.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i say buy a mapamax mapbook of spain and portugal. off amazon .
then follow the coast . mind its a long way . lots campsites open and wilding places as well. just hug the sea . be careful near la rabita there is a tight turn in a narrow road across a dried up river bed . i only just made it . i miss it now . hee hee but the coast roads can be really good . use the n340a the old roads were ever you can . but take all and every road to the sea . forget the sign posts directing you they pout you back to main roads . keep the sea on your left and follow it . the best places arent by main roads or in tourist guides .

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It's the land of the plastic greenhouse for a lot of the coast West of the Cabo de Gata and through Motril. Worth seeing if you haven't been there before, but attractive it isn't. :)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
It's the land of the plastic greenhouse for a lot of the coast West of the Cabo de Gata and through Motril. Worth seeing if you haven't been there before, but attractive it isn't. :)
its not as bad as it was . they have taken down alot of the plastics and turned what was originally scrub land they put them on into arable fields . they plough in the old grow bag soil and its worked .
but places they put the greenhouses down on ledges on cliffs etc is interesting . hardly a bit of space wasted .
i dont mind seeing it really . it makes work for some .my lad was offered 30 quid a day to work in them a few years ago . with accomadation and travel to the fields in a bus free .
its good to see how others make a living . part of the adventure .

OP
OP
Evadne

Evadne

Free Member
Sep 10, 2015
Grimsby
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Four years
Thank you all very much for taking the time to reply.

We have "done" Granada, Ronda, etc in the past, by car/hotel. We stay in Cabo to catch up with friends. Not the prettiest place in the World but tranquil. I hope you all travel safely and, again, thanks.

Humilladero sounds very doable. I like Antiquera.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
@Evadne we love Cabo try and spend three or four weeks there much as you do catch up with friends it's a very friendly site for all nationalities.

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Have you done the Alhambra ?

Granada Seville has some really different sights - like the moon in places.

Which coast road ? The motorway - see nothing or the real coast road, see a bit and crawl crawl.

Should you decide to visit The Alhambra, in Granada, remember that visitors are limited to 8000 per day for the Nazrid Palace . Booking in advance is essential at any time of the year

Attachments

• 20161007_133609.jpg
    20161007_133609.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 20161007_131510.jpg
    20161007_131510.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 5

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Thank you all very much for taking the time to reply.

We have "done" Granada, Ronda, etc in the past, by car/hotel. We stay in Cabo to catch up with friends. Not the prettiest place in the World but tranquil. I hope you all travel safely and, again, thanks.

Humilladero sounds very doable. I like Antiquera.

The site at Humilladero is very new/modern with little shade, good facilities, nice bar/cafeteria on site and 10 minute walk to pretty (but very quiet) town. Owned by the company operating Cabopino on the coast among others.

Bryan

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back