Spanish Roadtrip

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by Evadne, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Evadne

Evadne Funster

Advice please.

We will be travelling from Cabo de Gata to Conil as part of our 2017 adventure. For those of you who've done this journey, would you recommend the coast road or the Granada-Seville motorway?

I understand it's too far to do comfortably in a day, so recommendations for overnight stop would also be appreciated.

2. wigster

wigster Funster

Just bimble along and see where you end up i say (y)

• Like Like x 2
  3. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Ex Rochdale now Tavira, S. Brittany & Europe
    We have travelled quite a few times from Los Escullos to Portugal via Granada and Seville, it is a good road with nice scenery but going to Conil is a bit of a long way round. Can't comment on the coast as we have not used it for years, the section East of Malaga used to be terrible but that was 20 years ago and it has been improved since.

There is an ACSI site at Humilladero, near Antequera that is useful, if I was doing the trip I would stop there or Ronda, and visit the town, then drive through the white villages to the coast near Algericas and past Gibraltar to Conil.

• Like Like x 1
  4. MikeD

MikeD Funster

I would make a slight detour to visit Ronda on the way. Would not personally take the motor home into the town but it's lovely there.

• Like Like x 1
  5. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Have you done the Alhambra ?

Granada Seville has some really different sights - like the moon in places.

Which coast road ? The motorway - see nothing or the real coast road, see a bit and crawl crawl.

6. Speve

Speve Funster

We've done both and much prefer going up over the mountains and as previously said you can take in Ronda it's lovely up there.(y)(y)(y)(y)

• Like Like x 2
  7. bellabee

bellabee Funster

We're doing the same trip. Have booked Santander ferry for 10th Feb, and planning on spending the last 2 weeks of Feb at los Escullos. At the moment, we're thinking that we'll probably take the inland route to Conil, allowing ourselves about 2 weeks to get there.

• Like Like x 1
  8. vwalan

vwalan Funster

i say buy a mapamax mapbook of spain and portugal. off amazon .
    then follow the coast . mind its a long way . lots campsites open and wilding places as well. just hug the sea . be careful near la rabita there is a tight turn in a narrow road across a dried up river bed . i only just made it . i miss it now . hee hee but the coast roads can be really good . use the n340a the old roads were ever you can . but take all and every road to the sea . forget the sign posts directing you they pout you back to main roads . keep the sea on your left and follow it . the best places arent by main roads or in tourist guides .

• Like Like x 3
  9. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

It's the land of the plastic greenhouse for a lot of the coast West of the Cabo de Gata and through Motril. Worth seeing if you haven't been there before, but attractive it isn't. :)

• Like Like x 2
  10. vwalan

vwalan Funster

its not as bad as it was . they have taken down alot of the plastics and turned what was originally scrub land they put them on into arable fields . they plough in the old grow bag soil and its worked .
    but places they put the greenhouses down on ledges on cliffs etc is interesting . hardly a bit of space wasted .
    i dont mind seeing it really . it makes work for some .my lad was offered 30 quid a day to work in them a few years ago . with accomadation and travel to the fields in a bus free .
    its good to see how others make a living . part of the adventure .

• Like Like x 4
  11. Evadne

Evadne Funster

Thank you all very much for taking the time to reply.

We have "done" Granada, Ronda, etc in the past, by car/hotel. We stay in Cabo to catch up with friends. Not the prettiest place in the World but tranquil. I hope you all travel safely and, again, thanks.

Humilladero sounds very doable. I like Antiquera.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Speve

Speve Funster

@Evadne we love Cabo try and spend three or four weeks there much as you do catch up with friends it's a very friendly site for all nationalities.

• Like Like x 1
  13. bryandh

bryandh Funster

Should you decide to visit The Alhambra, in Granada, remember that visitors are limited to 8000 per day for the Nazrid Palace . Booking in advance is essential at any time of the year

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  14. bryandh

bryandh Funster

The site at Humilladero is very new/modern with little shade, good facilities, nice bar/cafeteria on site and 10 minute walk to pretty (but very quiet) town. Owned by the company operating Cabopino on the coast among others.

Bryan

• Like Like x 2