Spanish Police - New Radar Tactic

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by Steveth, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Steveth

Steveth Funster

Well new to us anyway.
    Driving past Alicante Airport on the N338 up the hill before the junction with the A70 we spotted two Police motorcycles parked up with the officers casually watching the traffic. However one bike had the seat raised against the handlebars with a speed camera just visible monitoring the traffic. The speed limit on this stretch is 80kph just in case anyone is visiting this part of Spain.

Under the recent changes in legislation in Spain the Police do not have to stop you, just record the traffic violation and send you a fine wherever you are in Europe. :driving2::Eeek:

• Like Like x 1
  2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

sending you a fine by post is One thing.....getting payment is another :Laughing:

Actually i read somewhere the various EU countries gov departments are now working together and our gov will chase the fine on the Spanish govs behalf.....so theres no escape.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

[/HI]

I don't see why there should be .... generally speed limits are there for a reason. I know it is possible and easy to make a mistake (been there, done that but not been caught) but speed kills.

• Like Like x 1
  4. pappajohn

not saying speeding is acceptable but just because the offence was committed in Spain doesnt mean it will go away in the UK.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

It wasn't a personal attack John - hope you didn't read it that way. :Sad:

Hope the fine collection is reciprocated and EU speedsters caught here are also forced to pay up.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Will they be endorseable I wonder, and if so by who, Spain or the UK.

7. mentaliss

mentaliss

Not that I condone conscious speeding, as all speed can kill depends where the contact takes place.......but 32mph in a 30mph restriction warrants points on your licence plus a fine:Doh: are the foreign lorry drivers still getting away with speeding fines:Angry:

• Like Like x 1
  8. pappajohn

no problem, i never took it as an attack. :thumb:

It may be reciprical to the rest of Europe but you know Spain has its own set of rules which, in the whole, dont tally with the rest of us. :Laughing:

• Like Like x 2
  9. Bebe

Bebe

Thought this may be of interest which I received in Spain. I received this last month

Please read below regarding changes to the Traffic Laws in Spain.
    All drivers in Spain are being advised to familiarize themselves with the new traffic laws that are set to take effect from tomorrow (Friday May 9).
    Some of the new laws include:
    If the Guardia Civil observe a motoring offence and note the vehicle registration number, this provides sufficient evidence to prosecute. There is no need to stop the vehicle.
    There will be a fine of €600 and a loss of six points for a ‘very serious’ speeding offence.
    There is a loss of six points and a fine of €500 for lesser speeding offences.
    Speeding fines can apply for exceeding the limit by just 1kph.
    On some motorways the speed limit is being increased from 120kph to 130kph.
    However, in some towns the speed limit is being reduced from 30kph to 20kph.
    If a radar inhibitor/speed camera detector of any sort is installed in the car, the fine is anything up to €6,000 and the loss of six points.
    A fine of €1,800 will be levied if the car has been involved in a serious or very serious offence and the national police authority (DGP) is not notified of who was driving the car. There will be no loss of points for this.
    If the vehicle weighs less than 3,500 kilos and has no valid insurance the fine will be €1,500, no loss of points but the vehicle will be immobilised for one month. If the vehicle is parked and has no insurance then the fine is €800.
    If the driver doubles the legal alcohol limit, is a frequent offender or refuses to take the breath test then there is a loss of six points and a fine of €1,000.
    There will also be a loss of four points for a driver who is over the alcohol limit but without doubling it. The same applies for driving under the influence of drugs.
    A loss of four points will be applied if the driver is not correctly licensed for the vehicle.
    Drivers have higher duties under the new laws to ensure the safety of cyclists of all ages.
    Cyclists under the age of 16 must wear a helmet.
    The Guardia Civil has the right to seize any vehicle carrying children without legally compliant child seats.
    The specific rules as to where children must sit in the vehicle (according to age/ height) must be observed. Failure to comply may result in heavy fines.
    An EU Directive will be implemented so that driving offences committed in one EU country are reported to the EU country of registration of the vehicle in question.
    Strict rules are being implemented for the Spanish registration of foreign registered vehicles kept in Spain.

Geoff Salter
    President & Membership Secretary
    VECINOS COOPERANDO Y COLABORANDO DE ESPANA

10. pappajohn

endorsements dont generate income...fines do.

I would say Spain, but they have a different points system to ours.

From what i understand drink driving doesnt always result in a ban depending on how drunk you are.....but a bloody big fine instead.

Spain needs to increase its national income before it goes bankrupt and has to be bailed out by Brussels (the rest of us :Angry:), so heavy fines will be the order of the day.

Another reason why they have really clamped down on motoring offences which at one time would have been overlooked...ie: A frames.

11. Gellyneck

Gellyneck Funster Life Member

Like all the wagons on the A75!

12. TheDogMan

TheDogMan Funster

It does not work the other way, UK offences are still not being chased in most cases because overseas goverments cannot be bothered to do it

13. Flyingscotsman2

Flyingscotsman2

just don't speed as in Rome do wat the thingies do........:Rofl1:

14. Movinon

Movinon Funster

I'm surprised at the casual acceptance of the idea of police honesty here. Don't speed and you won't have a problem. Really?

Not stopping you at the time of alleged speeding means that information about the condition of the radar gun used can be hidden. So if you later receive a fine you have no chance of contesting it. And that's assuming that the police in question are themselves honest - if they are given targets and quotas then they have every incentive to lie and so long as the fines keep rolling in they will not be held to account. Why else would such rules, which limit or deny the motorist proper justice, be introduced.

• Like Like x 1
  15. newmoontime1313

newmoontime1313 Funster

CAUGHT THERE LAST YEAR 100/EURO FINE :Sad:

16. Flyingscotsman2

Flyingscotsman2

I never speed with the handbrake on ....:Doh: :Rofl1:

17. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

It is a bit like some places in Saudi Arabia where nobody (except the locals) ever speeded past a broken down car - frequently a cop car with a radar gun. Even then it often didn't matter if you speeded or not... it would either cost an official fine or an unofficial one :Wink: of course, the locals always got away with it.

18. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

Cost me a 100 euros not so long ago as they say I approached a toll at 120km I don't think I was doing that but no point arguing and no points on my licence luckily.

S'pose if my Spanish was better might have aurged a bit but was in a hurry anyway:RollEyes:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  19. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Hard to argue even if you know you are right. :Sad:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

Thank god it's Spain and not France!
    Got back today and the score was roughly cameras 8 Vlad 0 :Doh:
    Cameras just seemed to go off at random different speeds,the cars in front did not seem to set them off .Its been suggested that size may be a factor,although not a blessing in this case:Blush:

Vlad