Spanish Hire Cars (1 Viewer)

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
We're in Lanzarote, but have same companies and rules as Spain. Need a car for my brother who arrives today

Any experience of hiring cars? Ones to avoid?

I've heard tales of finding damage on returning cars etc.

ThAnks in advanced

X

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
Always use a cancelled credit card for leaving deposit, never had a problem - simples

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few timesšŸ˜‰
We use Cicar or Payless over in Fuerteventura (only 20 minutes away from you)

Never had any problems but we always let them know we're checking the car out before taking it.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
@Yorick, take photo's of the whole car front, sides back etc, and one of the sales person before you leave with car ( sales person will see you doing this ) as their have been a run of hire cars being returned and a few weeks later credit card debited for damage.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Yes, photos prior to and after return, looks to be a foolproof way of ensuring no further charges. Good thinking.
PS. AND photo of the fuel gauge similarly...

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Be aware of fuel arrangements some make inflated charge for full tank of fuel on collection and tell you to return empty. On a small island you may not be doing enough mileage to return empty ! Rip off !!!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
As , has been posted in another thread, economy car hire , are very good in Portugal but don't know if they are in Spain, we have used them and couldn't praise them enough, no probs with insurance, fuel , or tolls or anything , really amazed by their service having used mainline hirers before and been far from satisfied.
And last but not least they are far cheaper(y):)

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
Avoid Goldcar , Firefly and Auriga Crown if they have depots near you , all well known for various rip off scams, try to find a local family run firm if possible, look on Trip Advisor for reviews.
We have used Auto Reisen in Tendrife and Grand Canaria, not the poshest of cars, but no rip offs.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
We hired a car in Dublin Airport, Eire - guy signed it off as no damage on us taking it. He rattled off a whole load of terms and conditions without taking a breath and asked me if I understood. Told him Ok I will sit down and read them as he could not speak slowly. After I had read them, then I signed the paper work got the keys and went to find the car - despite the ' No Damage' statement there was not a straight panel on it !!!! Went back over and made him come and document every dink, stone pit and scratch. When he had covered one of their damage sheets and a page of a4 he said we don't worry about odd marks over here. To which I replied I do when there is a risk of them being charged to me on my credit card without referral !!!! which was their T&C's

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
hired a car in Spain a number of years ago, took out the accidental insurance pulled over onto some long grass and hit a sharp stone that did a lot of damage to the underside, on returning the car the women just checked the body of the vehicle, I had to point out to her what had happened, I was insured for accidental damage so all was ok no charge, what if I had no extra insurance and the next person was held responsible for the damage and they had no extra cover, it would have cost them a arm and a leg as they have your credit card number and under the T&C they can claim for repairs and there is sod all you can do about it, so get him to not only check it all over underneath as well, and take out the extra insurance, you never know, they don't take prisoners

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back