Spanish Hire Cars

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Yorick, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Yorick

Yorick Funster

We're in Lanzarote, but have same companies and rules as Spain. Need a car for my brother who arrives today

Any experience of hiring cars? Ones to avoid?

I've heard tales of finding damage on returning cars etc.

ThAnks in advanced

X

2. PaulyP

PaulyP Funster

Not sure of a good company, but take a pic of the hire car from 4 sides to compare for when it's returned.

• Like Like x 2
  3. jtp890

jtp890 Funster

Always use a cancelled credit card for leaving deposit, never had a problem - simples

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Charlie - Minton

Charlie - Minton Funster

We use Cicar or Payless over in Fuerteventura (only 20 minutes away from you)

Never had any problems but we always let them know we're checking the car out before taking it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

@Yorick, take photo's of the whole car front, sides back etc, and one of the sales person before you leave with car ( sales person will see you doing this ) as their have been a run of hire cars being returned and a few weeks later credit card debited for damage.

• Like Like x 1
  6. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

Yes, photos prior to and after return, looks to be a foolproof way of ensuring no further charges. Good thinking.
    PS. AND photo of the fuel gauge similarly...

• Like Like x 2
  7. Figaro

Figaro Funster

Be aware of fuel arrangements some make inflated charge for full tank of fuel on collection and tell you to return empty. On a small island you may not be doing enough mileage to return empty ! Rip off !!!

• Like Like x 1
  8. chaser

chaser Funster

As , has been posted in another thread, economy car hire , are very good in Portugal but don't know if they are in Spain, we have used them and couldn't praise them enough, no probs with insurance, fuel , or tolls or anything , really amazed by their service having used mainline hirers before and been far from satisfied.
    And last but not least they are far cheaper(y):)

9. chaser

chaser Funster

• Like Like x 2
  10. injebreck99

injebreck99 Funster

Avoid Goldcar , Firefly and Auriga Crown if they have depots near you , all well known for various rip off scams, try to find a local family run firm if possible, look on Trip Advisor for reviews.
    We have used Auto Reisen in Tendrife and Grand Canaria, not the poshest of cars, but no rip offs.

• Like Like x 1
  11. grasscutter

grasscutter Funster Life Member

Beware of the damage excess clause. Excess can be in the region of £1200.
    The collision damage waiver does not cover it.

• Like Like x 1
  12. rb62

rb62 Funster

A second vote for Autoreisen, both ourselves and two daughters have used then in Tenerife for many years.

http://autoreisen.es/

• Like Like x 1
  13. Yorick

Yorick Funster

Thanks all :)

14. Landy lover

Landy lover Funster

We hired a car in Dublin Airport, Eire - guy signed it off as no damage on us taking it. He rattled off a whole load of terms and conditions without taking a breath and asked me if I understood. Told him Ok I will sit down and read them as he could not speak slowly. After I had read them, then I signed the paper work got the keys and went to find the car - despite the ' No Damage' statement there was not a straight panel on it !!!! Went back over and made him come and document every dink, stone pit and scratch. When he had covered one of their damage sheets and a page of a4 he said we don't worry about odd marks over here. To which I replied I do when there is a risk of them being charged to me on my credit card without referral !!!! which was their T&C's

• Like Like x 2
  15. crabman

crabman Funster

hired a car in Spain a number of years ago, took out the accidental insurance pulled over onto some long grass and hit a sharp stone that did a lot of damage to the underside, on returning the car the women just checked the body of the vehicle, I had to point out to her what had happened, I was insured for accidental damage so all was ok no charge, what if I had no extra insurance and the next person was held responsible for the damage and they had no extra cover, it would have cost them a arm and a leg as they have your credit card number and under the T&C they can claim for repairs and there is sod all you can do about it, so get him to not only check it all over underneath as well, and take out the extra insurance, you never know, they don't take prisoners