Free Member
Apr 21, 2013
Barnard Castle
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2000
We've finally managed to buy a Cepsa bottle now we're back in England and have the correct jumbo adaptor that we bought in Spain in January. (It seems much more difficult, and expensive, now to get a first bottle in Spain. The market traders have been warned off selling empty ones while the "Official Butane Office" in Puerto Mazzaron would sell us one for 119 Euros!)
Please does anyone have any tips to make the adaptor fit on to the bottle? Lifting the big black disc pulls the ball bearings away to let the adaptor sit over the bottle top, but it will not go far enough down to allow the disc to release properly, so cannot make a gas connection.
Is there a trick to it? Is this a job for the rubber hammer?!
Thanks from Sue

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
When you say the "Jumbo" adapter, do you mean the one with the red knob on top. If so lift the black ring and push the adapter down hard and then push down the black ring. It sometimes helps if you turn the adapter a little whilst pushing down the black ring. Make sure there is no crud on top of the bottle or inside the adapter and that the ball bearings are free. I have several Spanish bottles and adapters here if anyone requires them, as I no longer need them.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
We've finally managed to buy a Cepsa bottle now we're back in England and have the correct jumbo adaptor that we bought in Spain in January. (It seems much more difficult, and expensive, now to get a first bottle in Spain. The market traders have been warned off selling empty ones while the "Official Butane Office" in Puerto Mazzaron would sell us one for 119 Euros!)
Please does anyone have any tips to make the adaptor fit on to the bottle? Lifting the big black disc pulls the ball bearings away to let the adaptor sit over the bottle top, but it will not go far enough down to allow the disc to release properly, so cannot make a gas connection.
Is there a trick to it? Is this a job for the rubber hammer?!
Thanks from Sue

Hi Sue

Yes there is a trick.

You have to hold up the black ring while pushing down on the regulator. If it doesn't click on, try lifting it all up with the ring held up and then push it down.

It took me a while to sort it out.

We tried to get a Spanish bottle 3 years ago in Cartagena and were told at 3 separate outlets, a Repsol truck and at Repsol in Murcia that it was not possible without a full gas installation inspection by the engineer appointed by the gas company. We were quoted 160 euro for this inspection. We bought two Cepsa bottles from a secondhand shop and there was no problem getting them refilled.

A friend of ours got a bottle off the Repsol truck at Calnegre this last winter for 50 euro deposit plus the gas, with no questions asked.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
S

SueandDave

Free Member
Apr 21, 2013
Barnard Castle
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2000
Thanks, yes it is the adaptor with the red knob on. We have been holding the black ring up whilst pushing it down, but it just won't go far enough down. The ball bearings go partway into the ring that they have to sit in, but not enough to stay in there when we let go of the ring.
We'll try twisting it as we push.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Lift the collar up push down and push collar down.

We are on our way home and have a Repsol bottle for sale €7 at Saint-Jean-de-Luz at the moment and will be coming up the west coast in the next couple of weeks. ::bigsmile: Bob.

Aug 21, 2008
skegness
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
When you have pushed the black ring down as far as it will go turn the switch over and this locks it on if its down far enough

Alan

OP
OP
S

SueandDave

Free Member
Apr 21, 2013
Barnard Castle
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2000
Thanks, when you say turn the switch over, do you mean open the big red knob? There isn't a switch like there is on the Calor regulators.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Thanks, when you say turn the switch over, do you mean open the big red knob? There isn't a switch like there is on the Calor regulators.

Correct, The one with the switch is a regulator not like the one you have. PM sent by the way.

Aug 21, 2008
skegness
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
Adapter

Sorry I've got the gas low jumbo adapter in silver and black and that has a switch on the front .I thought all adapters had a switch do you not twist the red Knob on the top perhaps its in the open position
Alan

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Sorry I've got the gas low jumbo adapter in silver and black and that has a switch on the front .I thought all adapters had a switch do you not twist the red Knob on the top perhaps its in the open position
Alan

Hi Alan, the "regulator" they have is not a regulator as such. Its primarily used to get the gas from the Spanish bottle into the MH system before the MH regulator. This is to enable the MH built in regulator to function as it should without running the gas through 2 regulators. In actual fact it is not a regulator, its more a tap. I hope this makes sense.

Aug 21, 2008
skegness
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
Spaanish Adapter

Hi Alan, the "regulator" they have is not a regulator as such. Its primarily used to get the gas from the Spanish bottle into the MH system before the MH regulator. This is to enable the MH built in regulator to function as it should without running the gas through 2 regulators. In actual fact it is not a regulator, its more a tap. I hope this makes sense.

Yes the one I've got is an adapter not a regulator, i've been using it in Spain all winter and I'm still on spanish gas yet so am still using it .
I did make the mistake one year when I first got a MH and ran it through two regulators and suffered from loss of pressure and could'nt use the bottom of the bottles,at the time, I did'nt realise there was a difference betwwen the two.
Alan

slverdreamers

Free Member
Nov 22, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
18yrs
Spanish Gas.

[Hi can't work out how to pm, but we have been looking for spanish cylinder and adapter, so if you have one to spare that would be great, if you could pm us I know how to reply
Thanks Peter and Glynis

QUOTE=Snowbird;761622]When you say the "Jumbo" adapter, do you mean the one with the red knob on top. If so lift the black ring and push the adapter down hard and then push down the black ring. It sometimes helps if you turn the adapter a little whilst pushing down the black ring. Make sure there is no crud on top of the bottle or inside the adapter and that the ball bearings are free. I have several Spanish bottles and adapters here if anyone requires them, as I no longer need them.[/QUOTE]

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
[Hi can't work out how to pm, but we have been looking for spanish cylinder and adapter, so if you have one to spare that would be great, if you could pm us I know how to reply
Thanks Peter and Glynis

QUOTE=Snowbird;761622]When you say the "Jumbo" adapter, do you mean the one with the red knob on top. If so lift the black ring and push the adapter down hard and then push down the black ring. It sometimes helps if you turn the adapter a little whilst pushing down the black ring. Make sure there is no crud on top of the bottle or inside the adapter and that the ball bearings are free. I have several Spanish bottles and adapters here if anyone requires them, as I no longer need them.
[/QUOTE]

I have offered it to Sueandave, so must give them first refusal. If they dont want it then its yours.

OP
OP
S

SueandDave

Free Member
Apr 21, 2013
Barnard Castle
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2000
Spanish gas adaptor working!

Thanks everyone for all the advice. We finally got the jumbo adaptor to fit the bottle properly by pushing down and twisting very hard all the time, screwing it right down. The rubber circle on the bottle top looks very new and took a lot of getting past!
All ready for next January now - can't come soon enough!

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Am I missing summat here vis a vis obtaining Spanish bottles ?::bigsmile:
At the three sites we stayed on in Spain this winter bottles were available at reception, there was always 'a guy over there' who supplied bottles and regulators and if you walked around the site there was always at least one pitch with a bottle stood out front with a 'for sale' notice on it.

Mike.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back