Spanish gas bottles into RV

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by Bryan, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Bryan

Bryan Read Only Funster

Hi,

I have an extend-a-stay on my RV and I want to use a Spanish gas bottle on it.

Anyone know what the best way to do this is?

My extend-a-stay has a pigtail that ends in the connector in the attached picture.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

not sure of spanish thread sizes but you may have to get a hose made up with yank on one end and spanish bottle thread on the other.

obviously spanish regulator not needed, so whatever size thread is on the bottle top is the size you need.

3. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

should be able to buy new pigtail.

4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

not that easy in spain with american pipe thread. :Sad:

5. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Bryan

you can buy a bottle clip on valve that IS NOT a regulator.. this gives you bottle pressure.. try a hard ware store.. now you need an adapter from Gaslow or a Spanish supplier from butane to propane .. male/female thread.

or.. use your BBQ point with the standard clip on regulator, that was my solution.

6. Loddy

Loddy Read Only Funster

Look on RVOC for definite answer

Loddy

7. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Hello Brian, Go into a hardware shop or one of the big DIY shops and get what looks like the Spanish regulator but has a big red knob on the top.Its not a regulator as such,its just a controllable valve.You will then have to take it to a plumbers merchant or gas shop and have the end of your extendastay cut off and the thing with the red knob properly fitted on.
    The alternative has been stated above and thats feed the gas in via a BBQ tap if you have one.

8. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

I received this from Duncan of Star Spangled Spanner the importers of Extend-A-Stay.

These kits are designed for propane only, the fitting on the end of the pipe is a male propane fitting and is mechanically crimped on to the pipe, you must not cut it off to fit a butane fitting. I don't think it will work unless you can find a way of adapting the pipe work.

The US propane fitting is not the same as the UK one. It is slightly smaller so will fit a UK bottle but a UK fitting will not fit a US bottle.

If you have a barbeque point (not the high presure Extend-A-Stay one) you can buy a spanish regulator and feed the gas in that way. I have been feeding my Hymer this way since the turn of the year.

John

9. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Thats why I said take it to a plumbers and get it cut off properly and the regulater fitted.What I meant to say was crimped but was having a senior moment at the time and couldnt think of the word,but am sure Bryan knew what I meant.Had mine done this way 11 years ago and have had no problems since.American fridges dont run off 12 volt and rely on gas when on the road so I had my extendastay routed to a locker so I can use the Spanish bottle on the road,its the best option as its not unknown for gas bottles left outside overnight to go missing.

10. Loddy

Loddy Read Only Funster

It's gas don't bodge it, see RVOC posting

Loddy