Spanish gas bottle question (1 Viewer)

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Can anyone help please. We've had to buy a Spanish bottle to help with the cold but need some advice. Can I just feed it straight into my 30 bar van regulator or would I need another regulator on the bottle because of the high pressure.
I don't have a barbecue point so through my regulator is the only route.
I'm staying on Marjal at Catral if any funster technicians are here.
Many thanks in anticipation.
Wilf

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
You can feed direct in via your regulator BUT you need a "jumbo" adaptor... see pics
DONT use a Spanish regulator (the ones with the flip switch) as you will then be double regulating it ... Camping shops, DIY stores maybe, can try the local Chinese shops but often they only sell the regulator. Worst case see if someone on ebay / Amazon will ship to Spain.
This is the same method i use...

SAM_0962.JPG
SAM_0962.JPG

OP
OP
wiljoy
May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
You can feed direct in via your regulator BUT you need a "jumbo" adaptor... see pics
DONT use a Spanish regulator (the ones with the flip switch) as you will then be double regulating it ... Camping shops, DIY stores maybe, can try the local Chinese shops but often they only sell the regulator. Worst case see if someone on ebay / Amazon will ship to Spain.
This is the same method i use...

View attachment 146047 View attachment 146047
Thanks Tonka for your prompt reply. I have today purchased one of these and some pipe. As soon as I connected the pipe it expanded to twice it's thickness so I disconnected immediately. Just checking my regulator / on off switch was okay. Obviously I need some better quality pipe. Just a panic moment when a gas pipe expands this mutch.

OP
OP
wiljoy
May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
You need a pigtail to connect the Jumbo adaptor directly to your bulkhead regulator
Thanks. I did have buy a brand new pipe today but the sight of it expanding frightened me a bit. Bought it from a camping shop but not suitable. Will try to get a better quality tomorrow.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
Thanks. I did have buy a brand new pipe today but the sight of it expanding frightened me a bit. Bought it from a camping shop but not suitable. Will try to get a better quality tomorrow.

Not better quality that you need but a proper high pressure pigtail with the correct fittings.

If the one that expanded was the correct one then it is faulty.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
If you have a Butane pigtail the UK clip on adaptor is the same thread.. I just unscrew and change between UK and Spanish..

SAM_0959.JPG SAM_0960.JPG SAM_0965.JPG

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I just hope you did not fit the ORANGE LOW PRESSURE piping.....as posted above you need HP PIGTAIL Type, on my last European van I unscrewed the Spanish Adaptor and fitted the UK or French or...... Tonka has the info spot on.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
I've seen a lot of Brit vans running a Spanish gas bottle through two regulators without any problem at all......
The normal Spanish bottle-top 30 mbar regulator, then through standard Spanish low pressure orange flexible pipe to a T joint leading into the Brit bulkhead mounted regulator.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I've seen a lot of Brit vans running a Spanish gas bottle through two regulators without any problem at all......
The normal Spanish bottle-top 30 mbar regulator, then through standard Spanish low pressure orange flexible pipe to a T joint leading into the Brit bulkhead mounted regulator.

Just because you've 'seen' a 'Regulator' on top of a Spanish bottle before it goes through the 30Mbar Reg. fitted to the 'van doesn't mean you've actually seen a Reg. It could have been an adaptor. They look identical.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Just because you've 'seen' a 'Regulator' on top of a Spanish bottle before it goes through the 30Mbar Reg. fitted to the 'van doesn't mean you've actually seen a Reg. It could have been an adaptor. They look identical.

Nope.
The actual regulators are always stamped with the 30mb sign...they are required to do so under Spanish law....and are almost always "flip-top" operated.

There are some "twist top" operated ones around, but they are very rare in Spain and Portugal.

The bypass connectors that you are referring to do not have the "30mb" stamp on them, (and are "twist-top" operated).

The ones I'm referring to having seen are actual regulators
(I have indeed also seen some other people using just the unregulated bottle top connector linked to high pressure hose to their bulkhead pipes

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
All sounds very complicated; glad I've got refillables.

No it isn't, it's really really easy.

Spanish bottle. Spanish bottle-top regulator, pipe to gas valve fitted in-line to existing pipework.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back