Spanish first timers (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
Snow chains are intended as a temporary measure to ensure the vehicle continues to progress when roads are covered with snow or ice. They are not mandatory on a country-wide basis, but you must carry and fit chains when conditions demand. The police can stop you and forbid you from travelling further if you do not have chains and fit them when required. Many countries have road signs indicating roadside bays where you should stop and fit snow chains. If snowchains are fitted you should travel at no more than 30 mph and should remove them as soon as possible to avoid damaging the road service. Snow chains should always be fitted to the driving wheels, and to the front wheels of 4x4s.

"not mandatory on a country wide basis" you seem to have forgotten to highlight that!

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
"not mandatory on a country wide basis" you seem to have forgotten to highlight that!
Your missing the point, if you are not carrying them you can't use them if you are some where it is mandatory to do so, thus making it a legal requirement to carry them.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Not strictly true, only in mountainous areas where there are signs saying so.

Correct.

Using Motorway routes through France or Via Basque country. You should not require snow chains unless we get one of those freak weather incidents like the M11 in the UK or in the French Alps a couple of years ago. But then, you will have a warm cozy motorhome with lots of creature comforts.

Snow chains are only compulsory where indicated and are usually on alpine routes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Your missing the point, if you are not carrying them you can't use them if you are some where it is mandatory to do so, thus making it a legal requirement to carry them.

Only if you decide to carry on where it is mandatory,,,if you avoid mountains in the winter no problem,,,BUSBY,,

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
But i like the snow, and mountains, and i don't want to stay away from them, you can't make me, so there:cry:

Deleted User

I understand your point but as I said I have never seen signs for the use of snow chains on any of the main routes that I have used in France.

They are only on high level routes where snow lies all winter, if that is the type of road that anyone intends to use then snow chains would be necessary.

On the main routes if snow was a major problem they would close the road as they do in the UK, in Spain there are huge parking areas at strategic places for just such an eventuality.

If carrying snow chains makes anyone more confident then carry them but in my opinion they are not necessary if you choose your route wisely.

OP
OP
MuddyPuddle
Oct 29, 2013
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year motorhomer after 21 years caravanning
I think snow chains has been done to death guys now....can anyone tell me if Its compulsory to have a life jacket when travelling via Brittany Ferries!....lol :)

OP
OP
MuddyPuddle
Oct 29, 2013
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year motorhomer after 21 years caravanning
On a serious note has anyone experienced the 'economie' BF crossing which on this years prices appears to be a fair saving on price compared to the 'cruise' crossing. Before anyone mentions oars, hammocks and rowlocks I'll mention it now :)

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
Checking yesterday for crossing mid Feb, economie cant take pets.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I have used it,,smaller ship with less facilities,,only one cafeteria,,and vinyl flooring in cabins instead of carpet,,other than that it was fine,,BUSBY,,

Dec 21, 2016
Pyrenees France
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact Access
Exp
Since 2017
It's not compulsory to carry snow chains in France, but agree if you go into the mountains it is common sense. You would be a fool to drive up to 2000m without them. Living in the Haute Pyrenees I use the snow chains often to go skiing, but you would be surprised how many French don't have them, or have no idea how to fit them when needed!!
As @Mikeo says, take the west route, stick to the motorway and watch the weather forecast. If in doubt wait a day or so. But I have never seen the Autoroute blocked around Biaritz into Spain, they are working hard to improve the A63 Autoroute on the French side.
We are going to Spain in February and that's the route I will take, without chains!! Good luck.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
We have only ever booked the commodore cabins on Baie de Seine. And always out-of-season. So I do not know what the comfort levels of the other cabins are like.

I have noticed quite a few people viewing commodore cabins to upgrade once on-board.

I tend to choose Cap Finistere as our preferred ship. Again booking Commodore cabins where available (there are only 8 2 berth de luxe on CF). We are BF Club Members for both France and Spain. So do get BF Discounts and £8 towards breakfast and 10% off dining on the Cruise style ferries.

Other than that, we book crossings that suit our timings. So if only BDS is available, the reduced main crossing prices goes towards the more comfortable cabins. Carpeted, Large Screen TV, DVD and Fridge with sea view. We do not dine on BDS or use the bar like we do on CF. We self cater.

We love the Balcony cabins on Pont Aven, but they get snapped up and the timings and port rarely suit our times.

If anyone needs any help with BF, please feel free to send me a PM.

Happy & Safe travels whichever route and crossing you choose.

TM

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back