Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Haute Vienne France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Recent converts from boating
In to the third month of touring Spain, been through to the far end of the Costas to the Atlantic coast and found the campsites in general really good, especially the Marjals, one of which we are at now. Most friendly people we have met so far are the Dutch, followed by the Germans, most clique, the Brits, a lot seem to get in a little huddle, nod when you arrive and that's about it!
Even sat next to a table where one of the party was talking with us and the matriarch called him to task saying, are you with us or not?
I asked if they had been travelling together for years and was told, no, we only met last week!

Saw the funsters flag flying in early January at a site just outside Benidorm but as it was a, non dog friendly, site we didn't venture in otherwise I feel sure my comments re we Brits would surely have been much different.
Having said all that, this pastime is great as lone travellers with no one else to worry about, and you can enjoy some great company of an evening in the various campsite bars but I have to admit, seeing an obvious convoy of motor homes tootling along together, does look kinda funny!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Agree with much of what you say..

On site we like to keep ourselves to ourselves.. but have found most people very friendly.. and despite appearances most travelling people are also.. have met meany on our travels.

French are a bit reserved but once you break the ice they are generally very nice people..

Frankly, when we go on sites or aires and see GB plates we keep well away.. would rather park up near a German or Dutch van :winky:

Last edited:

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
In to the third month of touring Spain, been through to the far end of the Costas to the Atlantic coast and found the campsites in general really good,

Did you get as far as us lot in Zahora? Camping Pinar San Jose? We're a VERY friendly bunch here :winky::winky::winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
I tend to agree,I find quite odd that every time we pass a motorhome the occupants wave quite cheerily to us then park next to one on a site and nobody speaks.We use naturist sites a lot and find our fellow occupants much more chatty and friendly,and still keep in contact with lots of them we have met over the years. Dont know why that should be, but just been our experience.

OP
OP
Volusia

Volusia

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Haute Vienne France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Couldawouldashoulda

Did you get as far as us lot in Zahora? Camping Pinar San Jose? We're a VERY friendly bunch here :winky::winky::winky:

Got as far as Puerto Santa Maria on the Atlantic coast, nice place only turned around due to the weather, we were heading for the Algarve but forecast was not too good! :Smile:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
In to the third month of touring Spain, been through to the far end of the Costas to the Atlantic coast and found the campsites in general really good, especially the Marjals, one of which we are at now. Most friendly people we have met so far are the Dutch, followed by the Germans, most clique, the Brits, a lot seem to get in a little huddle, nod when you arrive and that's about it!
Even sat next to a table where one of the party was talking with us and the matriarch called him to task saying, are you with us or not?
I asked if they had been travelling together for years and was told, no, we only met last week!

Saw the funsters flag flying in early January at a site just outside Benidorm but as it was a, non dog friendly, site we didn't venture in otherwise I feel sure my comments re we Brits would surely have been much different.
Having said all that, this pastime is great as lone travellers with no one else to worry about, and you can enjoy some great company of an evening in the various campsite bars but I have to admit, seeing an obvious convoy of motor homes tootling along together, does look kinda funny!

Couldn't agree more about the Dutch, most friendly people there is especially towards English , been to Amsterdam many times and despite its reputation , couldn't meet nicer folks.

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Yes the Dutch people very easy to talk to. The English, as you say they wave as you go by....that might be why they wave..you are going away from them.:ROFLMAO:

But the English are VERY difficult to talk to, when on the same site. :Smile: Except me my wife tells me that I talk for England :ROFLMAO:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We use naturist sites a lot and find our fellow occupants much more chatty and friendly,and still keep in contact with lots of them we have met over the years. Dont know why that should be, but just been our experience.

We also stay on naturist sites most of the time and agree, virtually everybody is friendly and hospitable - nationality doesn't make a lot of difference. :thumb:

The Dutch are particularly keen naturists. And I think they like chatting to Brits (naturist or not), because they are all very good at speaking English and enjoy the cultural interaction. :Smile:

Mike

OP
OP
Volusia

Volusia

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Haute Vienne France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Which we won't, the ferry is cancelled. Now going the Long Dry Way.

Take your time and enjoy the aires on the way through France. 5 years ago we had 28 degrees late Feb, recently though its not been anything like. Enjoy!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back