Spain thoughts

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by Volusia, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Volusia

Volusia

In to the third month of touring Spain, been through to the far end of the Costas to the Atlantic coast and found the campsites in general really good, especially the Marjals, one of which we are at now. Most friendly people we have met so far are the Dutch, followed by the Germans, most clique, the Brits, a lot seem to get in a little huddle, nod when you arrive and that's about it!
    Even sat next to a table where one of the party was talking with us and the matriarch called him to task saying, are you with us or not?
    I asked if they had been travelling together for years and was told, no, we only met last week!

Saw the funsters flag flying in early January at a site just outside Benidorm but as it was a, non dog friendly, site we didn't venture in otherwise I feel sure my comments re we Brits would surely have been much different.
    Having said all that, this pastime is great as lone travellers with no one else to worry about, and you can enjoy some great company of an evening in the various campsite bars but I have to admit, seeing an obvious convoy of motor homes tootling along together, does look kinda funny!

• Like Like x 3
  2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Agree with much of what you say..

On site we like to keep ourselves to ourselves.. but have found most people very friendly.. and despite appearances most travelling people are also.. have met meany on our travels.

French are a bit reserved but once you break the ice they are generally very nice people..

Frankly, when we go on sites or aires and see GB plates we keep well away.. would rather park up near a German or Dutch van :Wink:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
    • Like Like x 5
  3. PenelopePitstop

PenelopePitstop Funster Life Member

Did you get as far as us lot in Zahora? Camping Pinar San Jose? We're a VERY friendly bunch here :Wink::Wink::Wink:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  4. hdvrod

hdvrod Read Only Funster

I tend to agree,I find quite odd that every time we pass a motorhome the occupants wave quite cheerily to us then park next to one on a site and nobody speaks.We use naturist sites a lot and find our fellow occupants much more chatty and friendly,and still keep in contact with lots of them we have met over the years. Dont know why that should be, but just been our experience.

• Like Like x 1
  5. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

We shall see, Monday if we survive the crossing.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Volusia

Volusia

Couldawouldashoulda

Got as far as Puerto Santa Maria on the Atlantic coast, nice place only turned around due to the weather, we were heading for the Algarve but forecast was not too good! :Smile:

7. Volusia

Volusia

Good luck with the crossing, at least you know you are heading abroad making a sea crossing. Livelier the better!:thumb:

8. chaser

chaser Funster

Couldn't agree more about the Dutch, most friendly people there is especially towards English , been to Amsterdam many times and despite its reputation , couldn't meet nicer folks.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Billy23

Billy23 Funster

Yes the Dutch people very easy to talk to. The English, as you say they wave as you go by....that might be why they wave..you are going away from them.:Rofl1:

But the English are VERY difficult to talk to, when on the same site. :Smile: Except me my wife tells me that I talk for England :Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  10. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Which we won't, the ferry is cancelled. Now going the Long Dry Way.

11. PenelopePitstop

PenelopePitstop Funster Life Member

That happened to us in October so we sailed to Caen and spent 4 days racing down to Zahora! Good luck! Keep safe! :Smile:

12. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster

We also stay on naturist sites most of the time and agree, virtually everybody is friendly and hospitable - nationality doesn't make a lot of difference. :thumb:

The Dutch are particularly keen naturists. And I think they like chatting to Brits (naturist or not), because they are all very good at speaking English and enjoy the cultural interaction. :Smile:

Mike

13. Volusia

Volusia

Take your time and enjoy the aires on the way through France. 5 years ago we had 28 degrees late Feb, recently though its not been anything like. Enjoy!

14. PaulyP

PaulyP Funster

Even when sober !! :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1