Spain Speed Cameras and limits (1 Viewer)

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Just wondered, Do they give you this sort of information in the UK?

SPAIN'S traffic authorities have published their 'speed camera tolerance threshold' list and warn that restrictions came into force yesterday (Thursday).

Limits of up to 100 kilometres per hour with speed cameras set up, either fixed ones or temporary speed traps, will be programmed to catch drivers travelling at seven kilometres per hour or more above the limit.

These measures will not apply in the regions of Catalunya and the Basque Country, which have their own separate traffic authorities.

This means in a 60-kilometre limit, drivers will not be fined until they are caught travelling at 68 kilometres per hour.

From 100 kilometres per hour upwards, speed traps will be set to record driver details once they exceed the speed limit by 7% or more.

On motorways, where the speed limit is 120 kilometres per hour unless stated, anyone driving at 131 kilometres per hour or more will be fined.

And once the planned 130-kilometre stretches are in place, those travelling at over 139 kilometres per hour will face penalties.

Every month, the General Directorate of Traffic (DGT) will carry out special crackdown campaigns in 1,200 places on Spain's roads, and will publish on its website -www.dgt.es- where these will be in advance.

Cameras will always be visible to drivers, even mobile ones on roadside tripods, a short time in advance but long enough for drivers to be able to slow down.

"Fining drivers is not the end aim at all - the presence of speed cameras is to discourage and prevent speeding and to ensure drivers respect speed limits in general, especially in accident blackspots," the DGT claims on its website.

So now you know :)(y)

Unmarked cars will be employed to catch known speeders who regularly break the limits by excessive amounts.

Another 30 cameras are set to go up, mainly on back roads rather than motorways.

Eight in 10 road deaths happen on secondary roads, or a total of 892 in 2014.

The margin for error in speeds, known as 'Tolerance 7', has been established firstly to ensure all cameras across the country are consistent and a driver would not be fined in one region where he or she would be considered within legal limits in another, and also to ensure motorists who do not have digital speed-o-meters can judge better whether or not they are travelling too fast.

If the 7% threshold were to be applied across the board, says the DGT, this would mean drivers travelling at 33 kilometres per hour in a 30-kilometre limit would automatically be fined - and the three-kilometre difference would barely show on a non-digital speed-o-meter, resulting in an unfair situation to the motorist.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
The key words here are "tolerance threshold" I spoke to local policeman in our village and he informed me that like everything else in Spain if the policeman or woman at the time thinks you should be fine then........... so be it! even if your only 2/3/4/5km over the limit, as it is at his/her professional discretion due to road conditions at the time of being caught on camera ie. wet road/outside school/on a long busy road/time of day etc etc etc. They will also be posting where the cameras will be and at what time on the General Directorate of Traffic (DGT) web site each day!!!!! defeats the whole idea...........

OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
The key words here are "tolerance threshold" I spoke to local policeman in our village and he informed me that like everything else in Spain if the policeman or woman at the time thinks you should be fine then........... so be it! even if your only 2/3/4/5km over the limit, as it is at his/her professional discretion due to road conditions at the time of being caught on camera ie. wet road/outside school/on a long busy road/time of day etc etc etc. They will also be posting where the cameras will be and at what time on the General Directorate of Traffic (DGT) web site each day!!!!! defeats the whole idea...........

Yup!(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
If the 7% threshold were to be applied across the board, says the DGT, this would mean drivers travelling at 33 kilometres per hour in a 30-kilometre limit would automatically be fined - and the three-kilometre difference would barely show on a non-digital speed-o-meter, resulting in an unfair situation to the motorist.

most, if not all speedometers read high.. so when it's indicating 30mph you are probably only doing 28 mph . .. (easily checked against a sat nav unit)
.. so if they were caught speeding outside the 7% tolerance, the indicated speed would be at least 35mph .. so no excuses about it not being a digital speedo.

in the UK , AFAIK the tolerance is 10% + 2 mph .. so in a 30 limit you would need to be doing 35 mph to get a ticket .. at 70 mph limit, it would be 79 mph

that's my understanding.. don't blame me if you get done doing 75 mph..

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
These are the ACPO Guidelines. I can't C&P the doc so apologies if the lines aren't exactly correct.

Limit -Device- FPT when Education inappropriate- Speed course-Summons

20 22 24 24-31 31
30 32 35 35-42 42
40 42 46 46-53 53
50 52 57 57-64 64
60 62 68 68-75 75
70 73 79 79-86 86

The word'Device'= the tolerence in the machine
FPT when education inappropriate= when someone won't accept an awareness course when their speed wouldn't warrent a summons.

Keep Safe

Deleted User
Don't forget that the speed cameras at 30mph can also have a tolerance of 2mph, therefore you could be truly travelling at 34mph but the speed camera could measure this as 36mph.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
To be fair Jim The FPT is only for those who don't do the Speed awareness course (for whatever reason) Therefore you can go right up to 31mph in a 20 without 'Legal' sanction (and no points on your licence.)
On a personal level I regard Speed awareness courses as a money making exercise. I would rather have, the No Ticket/Ticket system.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
They will also be posting where the cameras will be and at what time on the General Directorate of Traffic (DGT) web site each day!!!!! defeats the whole idea...........
They always used to & at what actual speed the cameras were triggered at. That's the bit I can't understand ?
Anyway the Directora of the DGT said that it is the intention by publicising to get people to slow down rather than to make money.(y)

most, if not all speedometers read high.. so when it's indicating 30mph you are probably only doing 28 mph . .. (easily checked against a sat nav unit)
.. ..

It is illegal for them to read anything other than high.On mechanical ones it used to be +7%.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
"Every month, the General Directorate of Traffic (DGT) will carry out special crackdown campaigns in 1,200 places on Spain's roads, and will publish on its website -www.dgt.es- where these will be in advance.

Cameras will always be visible to drivers, even mobile ones on roadside tripods, a short time in advance but long enough for drivers to be able to slow down."

Spain also announced it was using unmarked cars and hidden cameras on the day it made the 7% tolerance level announcement. It showed on TV a car parked on a secondary road verge with a camera in the windscreen and Police hiding behind a Green Glass recycling container by the roadside.

MJG1959

Free Member
Feb 14, 2015
Cleveland UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Don't forget that in the UK the ACPO guidelines are just that, guidelines. You will still cop for a ticket if travelling within the 'tolerance' parameters if for example there are other exacerbating factors increasing the risk of an accident such as poor weather/visibility, road conditions/congestion or you are doing something stupid likely to cause driver distraction as well.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
.. so if they were caught speeding outside the 7% tolerance, the indicated speed would be at least 35mph .. so no excuses about it not being a digital speedo.

in the UK , AFAIK the tolerance is 10% + 2 mph .. so in a 30 limit you would need to be doing 35 mph to get a ticket .. at 70 mph limit, it would be 79 mph

that's my understanding.. don't blame me if you get done doing 75 mph..

That was the case the NEW speed camera system at present on the M25 is supposedly very accurate and therefore has NO tolerance 71 mph, brings an invitation to spend £100 each to go on a speed awareness course which they have twice a day with 20 people in each course NOT THAT IS A REVENUE EARNER or anything for Kent Police then.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back