LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2010
Barnoldswick
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line
Exp
[QUOTE="peterc10
If you are heading for the Algarve area we can give you some good tips on official and unofficial Aires.[/QUOTE]

Many thanks @peterc10 for the offer think we're going to Spain !
But will hold you to that offer :)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Many thanks everyone
You certainly don't make it easy to choose as after reading about Italy we was going there then as we have come down the west side of France we thought better stick to Spain or Portugal :)
Then we thought Portugal but would like to go to the Algarve but don't fancy all that driving out of or 4 weeks away :(
After lots of talks about it and swapping and changing our minds were going to Spain !!!!!!
Well we are tonight ............but who knows in the morning as we might of changed our minds again :))
On the vast experience of two trips my suggestion to the original question is both but not at the same time. Obviously if you are going to Portugal you will drive through Spain and no reason to hurry doing so, but there is so much to see in Portugal it needs lots of time devoted to it. There is much more to the Portugal than the Algarve. On our current trip we had intended to visit Northern Portugal, the Mihno region but we spent what we thought was too long in Galicia so we scrubbed it, but I think that was a mistake although the weather forecast was a bit iffy but we had intended to take the train down the Douro Valley to Oporto - but perhaps another year...

Lots to see in Spain too!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
MotorhomersRus

MotorhomersRus

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2010
Barnoldswick
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line
Exp
Many thanks @DevonBeekeeper
Just been reading your posts on Spain really good reading.
We think we have decide Spain as we only have 4 weeks and don't think we can give Portugal as much time as we would like to. Although we say Algave we mean to meander down taking in all the sites. As Tony the other half of Tosan still works it's nice to get some good weather while we're away so we're weather watching as well.
So thinking land down near Benidorm (not necessarily Benidorm) and drive up the coast back to France and then the run up to Calais. Will wait to see if this is the right decision
We've always done France or Germany so this is all new to us and we're hoping we like Spain !

Reactions: DBK
Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
I realise that we are in the minority but Portugal just did'nt float our boat - or motorhome. The legendary "friendliness" of the Portuguese people hardly materialised. We found them (with a couple of exceptions) to be a miserable, sour, lethargic people......
There is nothing in Portugal that you cannot find tenfold in Spain.

Horses for courses I suppose, but it is best if you find out for yourself.

Eamless

Free Member
Nov 29, 2013
London
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
you can stay at orbitur madalena just south of city on the coast. there is a bus in every half an hour and it is the drive of your life. All our stops in northern spain and portugal are here www.eamlesstravels.com we did stay mostly in car parks or aires but took advantage of the orbitur card. you buy 10 nights for €100

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
Be guided by the weather forecast. Avoid Barcelona they are all thieves, make the most of Benidorm, (cheap and fun), enjoy Malaga to Gibraltar, Enjoy Albufeira. Enjoy Lisbon - park your MH on the coast anywhere, Fatima is a disappointment.

We have visited Fatima twice and were aware that pilgrims make the journey on their knees to pay homage to their savour.

When you actually see the pilgrims you realise they have all been to Aldi and bought knee protectors that carpet fitters wear.

Don't mind me, I'm just an atheist with a mission to debunk any and all religious gibberish.

OP
OP
MotorhomersRus

MotorhomersRus

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2010
Barnoldswick
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line
Exp
you can stay at orbitur madalena just south of city on the coast. there is a bus in every half an hour and it is the drive of your life. All our stops in northern spain and portugal are here www.eamlesstravels.com we did stay mostly in car parks or aires but took advantage of the orbitur card. you buy 10 nights for €100

Many thanks had a quick peak at your web site !
Looks fab will definitely read in more depth asap !

OP
OP
MotorhomersRus

MotorhomersRus

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2010
Barnoldswick
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line
Exp
Thanks everyone for all your info !
We're leaving ASAP for the
Somport Tunnel well as soon as I finish my coffee
We stopped @ Oloron St Marie good stop but a tad noise :(
So Spain it is
Heading South so anymore info or suggestions would be appreciated.

OP
OP
MotorhomersRus

MotorhomersRus

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2010
Barnoldswick
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line
Exp
Thought id post a update
The journey to the Somport tunnel was fab and we popped out the other side to glorious but still not quite warm enough !
So we kept going and ended up parked @
Camper Area Campello Beach with
@Coolbeanz @DoubleD @DevonBeekeeper
Our first trip into Spain and loving it
And another first is meeting up with fellow funsters

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
We have just went past the 4 week mark and have been to quite a few places,it is doable. Just decide where you want to go and how long. We have just back tracked along the Algarve to a place we had

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back