Spain-Morocco Ferry prices (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Can anyone explain why a return ferry fare from Spain to Morocco costs anything between six and ten times the price of a Dover - Calais crossing ?

For Example,

A 6 mt van will cost aprox 600 euro and it's about 100euro per meter there after.. prices checked on Ferries Morocco 2009 - shedule tariffs and informations for all the ferries to Morocco

It's not lack of competition , there are at least four operators .. is there price fixing going on ?

Maybe Ray or Alan can shed some light on this anomaly.. ?

jim

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Can anyone explain why a return ferry fare from Spain to Morocco costs anything between six and ten times the price of a Dover - Calais crossing ?

For Example,

A 6 mt van will cost aprox 600 euro and it's about 100euro per meter there after.. prices checked on Ferries Morocco 2009 - shedule tariffs and informations for all the ferries to Morocco

It's not lack of competition , there are at least four operators .. is there price fixing going on ?

Maybe Ray or Alan can shed some light on this anomaly.. ?
Hi,We never book,we use Juan Carlos Galtieres.He has an office behind the Carrafore supermarket just before you come to Algesieras.All the French use him and most of the old school Brits. I paid 300 Euros return for a 9metre Rv towing a 5 metre trailer last year.Sorry cant give you his details at moment as we are not at home.Regards Dave.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi,We never book,we use Juan Carlos Galtieres.He has an office behind the Carrafore supermarket just before you come to Algesieras.All the French use him and most of the old school Brits. I paid 300 Euros return for a 9metre Rv towing a 5 metre trailer last year.Sorry cant give you his details at moment as we are not at home.Regards Dave.

Hi

Thanks,

I've heard about cut-price tickets.. that was a good price .. :thumb:

still curious though.. how can a ticket vendor undercut the company advertised prices?
I guess he buys in bulk and gets a discount.. or are there underhand dealings going on...

Jim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi, Well regarding underhanded dealings,remember who you are dealing with!!!!!!!! Galtieres is a shipping agent extraordinare,you can deal with him face to face,and you may not go on the exact boat you wnt but you will normaly go the same day.Try to arrive outside his office the night before you want to sale and be knocking on his door when he opens.Never take the first price he offers you,and tell him you are a member of a camping car club.That way he hopes you will recomend him and will give you a good price.Regards,Dave.

Detourer

Trader - Tour Operator
Jul 30, 2007
Spain and Morocco
Funster No
MH
4x4 OverLander
Exp
20+ years
I wish I knew the answer Jim, not that it would make much difference……It’s Spain, take it or leave it……..OK, I get a Trade price, but its not that much off……

You will constantly see reference to “Carlos” [near Lidl]……Great chap, I know him well, daughters don’t give a toss though. Yes, he can get cheap tickets, if you consider 300+ euro cheap. But he [and some others] has been “Caught Out” more than a few times. Think about it ……. 600+ is the listed price……300 is the Carlos price……If it sounds too good to be true then it is.

You never hear of the problems with the “Cheap” tickets……I hear it all the time.

These tickets are either “Residence”, Military [big camp in Ceuta], Police etc etc….NOT TOURIST. Some of these tickets are even Day Returns……If check-in shows these up, or if the staff is being bloody minded you will get stopped. Usually on the return leg. Then you pay FULL/LEGAL price, often a return price as a punishment!

Rumour? A few weeks ago I was in a rush for a solo crossing for myself in a car…..and bought from Carlos…..Questioned on way out as my car ticket showed car+caravan on check-in computer……but they let me through. On my return a week later I was refused boarding. If I had been a “Punter” I would have had a big bill for new ticket……As it turned out I pulled our account details and crossed with just an hour or so delay…..

But I would stress…..I am not knocking Carlos [or the others], he’s a great chap and his wife makes a mean BBQ……..they just take advantage of the MHome’s looking for cheapo……You never see the hundreds of 4x4/bikes etc etc lining up outside their shops!

"Snowbirds" also be aware that many of the so called "open-return" tickets that were valid for a year are now valid for 3 months...

............By the way......Not that I want it, but I have in front of me, this very moment, a printed quote for just after Xmas Algecsiras-Ceuta return.........Hmone + 2 persons 984 euro......

Phewwwwww :Doh:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Thanks Ray ..

I'd heard much of what you say .. it just seems such an outrageous price for a ferry crossing.. bearing in mind in Spain, cheaper labour, fuel and a shorter crossing .. smacks of a price fixing cartel if you ask me.. :Angry:

So you are saying, the 4x4 brigade pay through the nose and don't risk the dodgy deals ?

jim

Detourer

Trader - Tour Operator
Jul 30, 2007
Spain and Morocco
Funster No
MH
4x4 OverLander
Exp
20+ years
I don’t know the real reason for the high prices……people pay. My yearly ferry bill would make your eyes water……but there you go.

Yes, price fixing for sure…..The two biggest ferry operators are in fact one company. I think they are keeping the prices high, 400% increase over the last few years, with an eye on the future......when they may be "forced" to drop......

But those of you who have been through Algeciras will have seen that the ferry is but a small part of the whole picture there…….Political……Morocco becoming an “Associated” EU Member sometime soon…..massive [really massive] docks near Tangier, Motorway now down as far as Agadir and plans for beyond etc etc. Mushrooms we are Jim, just mushrooms.

And these few months are mayhem down at the docks, with the 1000’s and 1000’s of Ex-Pat Moroccans returning for their traditional summer hols……Ferries running non-stop and still huge waiting/holding areas……1000’s of vehicles a day.

The 4x4's etc are a whole different breed of client with a different take on what they do and how they do it.........

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
last year i paid220 euro at viajes normandi palmones for car/caravan 2 people. when we tried to get on board the loaders said we were toohigh for fast fery . rang carlos he came to the port ,we had to pay 10euro more n went on the next larger ship with a different name to our tickets. i have used him since about 2000 always get a good price. 2 years ago it cost alot less dont know why . but only for the one year. last year the falling pound made it seem expensive but its been about 200euro for years. back in the 70,s you had to try n argue at the port to get a good deal . the gib to maroc is a good price aswell nearly used it last year but they were in the middle of changing docks in gib n the tide was wrong. get your tickets at turners in irish town gib. only place to buy i think.roll on november getting cold here.

Tony Lee

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Funster No
Paid 220 euro 6 months ago and at that time there were the same high on-line prices and dire warnings about "local" tickets.

Given the almost universal scamming that seems to be expected by visitors to Morocco, wouldn't you expect that if Carlos was issuing shonky tickets, that EVERY time they were used, they would be 'caught" on the way back and have to pay up big-time. Why would they forgo a steady stream of suckers ripe for picking? Is Spain such a primitive country that crooked operators could get away with ripping off major ferry lines and unsuspecting tourists for so many years?

Can't see it myself.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi,there is also the ferry from Sete to Tanger,the French use it and I once worked out that it is cheaper thn driving through Spain if you are running a large MH.When you take into account the price of fuel,tolls,wear and tear.Cant remember the French company that does the special offers now but I dont think it will take much finding.Another similar sinario of the Spain Tanger Ceuter,ferry.You get a better deal with a shipping agent than the ferry company.Hope this is some help,Regards,Dave.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
the idea of sete to tangiers is fine ,i like the drive n the time spent on the way. its abit like the drive through france ,i make it cheaper plymouth santander . it depends where you live . also regards spain maroc the prices seem to vary tangiers or cueta one year tangiers nx year cueta . is the savings on diesel enough to go to ceuta, not always. again depends on your trip n where you are heading. on a day like today wish it was somewhere sunny.i think uk is getting monsoon summers.

Detourer

Trader - Tour Operator
Jul 30, 2007
Spain and Morocco
Funster No
MH
4x4 OverLander
Exp
20+ years
Anyway…….There is an alternative if you are that miffed at the cost of a ferry crossing……Swim!

The shortest journey across the Strait of Gibraltar is between Punta Oliveros in Spain and Punta Cires in Morocco. Most attempts are made from Tarifa Island due to the influence of strong currents, a distance of 18.5-22K (10-12 miles).

However, it is not simply a matter of strapping on your floaters, goggles and flippers. The route crosses an eastern flow of water from the Atlantic Ocean to the Mediterranean Sea with an average of 3 knots (5.5 km per hour) current. Heavy boat traffic, logistical barriers and surface chop also give swimmers something to think about.

The best time of year to give it a wizz is June to October, no good for the “Snowbirds” then.

Given all the problems plus high winds and unpredictable water conditions it is understandable that only 185 successful one-way crossings and 7 double-crossings have been made to date. The first was by an English woman back in 1928. The most crossings by an individual stand at eight by Spaniard Pere Estatuet Llorens. The fastest time to date is 2 hours 36 minutes by Czech, David Cech. There are ferry services that are slower!

Of course I have not included the routes and timings of the many immo's, who lashed to their Dunflop inner-tubes make the crossing almost daily :whatthe:

Big Brian 56

Free Member
Dec 12, 2007
Morley
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Not long enough
On the back of this, has anybody "done " USA via freight with own van, before anyone replies with, hire over there, dont like crashing !! Flying I,m fine with, the thought of........:Sad:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Big Brian

never heard of anyone doing this .. shipping yes, but not accompanied, but you may get a better response by starting a new topic .. this one is on it's last legs

BTW .. I share your dislike of flying :roflmto:

Jim

May 22, 2008
Funster No
I paid 230 euros for the return crossing to CUETA ,January 09 and that was for any length vehicle, with or without trailer ,from Algerciras. :Eeek::Eeek:

May 22, 2008
Funster No
Juan Carlos El Roque near the LIDL He gave us a bottle of Cider and a cake too, also changed Euros into Dirhams got all the necessary paper work from him to enter Morocco too.Great service.:thumb::thumb:It is possible to overnight outside his offices also.:thumb::thumb:

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
I came across this site the other day

Ferry costs Algeciras/Tarifa to Ceuta/Tanger - The HUBB

here is a snip of it courtesy of horizonsunlimited.com

Bought a number [10] of tickets this morning, 7th Jan,........Bit rushed so did not use our own facility [we are an "agent"......]. Carlos was the man.......clients campers + 2 passengers 220euro open return Ceuta. My own Unimog + Trailer + 2 passengers 150 euro open return.

Ray

Hope this helps

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi big brian , the dutch n germans do it from holland as deck cargo its about 6/7oo pound you can live in van .you have to wait around for a boat will contact german friends for more info if you want. cheers alan ps, one mate took a 65 setra bus a few years ago for 6 months, ..

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
hi big brian , the dutch n germans do it from holland as deck cargo its about 6/7oo pound you can live in van .you have to wait around for a boat will contact german friends for more info if you want. cheers alan ps, one mate took a 65 setra bus a few years ago for 6 months, ..
Hi,Rotterdam and Hamborg,There is a German group that do a trip twice a year to the states.Regards,Dave.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
thanks dave. thats the answer. you do have to wait around a bit ,quite fancy it myself for a change.alot of my friends are doing south america and say its very motor home friendly. some are thinking of living there fulltime.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I came across this site the other day

Ferry costs Algeciras/Tarifa to Ceuta/Tanger - The HUBB

here is a snip of it courtesy of horizonsunlimited.com

Bought a number [10] of tickets this morning, 7th Jan,........Bit rushed so did not use our own facility [we are an "agent"......]. Carlos was the man.......clients campers + 2 passengers 220euro open return Ceuta. My own Unimog + Trailer + 2 passengers 150 euro open return.

Ray

Hope this helps

interesting reading .. thanks

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
thanks dave. thats the answer. you do have to wait around a bit ,quite fancy it myself for a change.alot of my friends are doing south america and say its very motor home friendly. some are thinking of living there fulltime.
Am in Holland at moment,wifey is Dutch,so will ask her to get on the case when we come back here after Malvern.We have discused taking the bus over there for a while,so should be interesting for all.:thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i like carlos even if he shouts alot. his daughters are ok . always make me welcome. but the crossing from gib is looking good .tickets from turners in irish town gib near police station .they are the only place that sells them they tell me. cheers alan.

Detourer

Trader - Tour Operator
Jul 30, 2007
Spain and Morocco
Funster No
MH
4x4 OverLander
Exp
20+ years
Bought a lump tickets from Carlos yesterday for a club/friend, 11 4x4's and passengers........all went on thier way with no problem [I think]......number 2 daughter was her usual crumpy and unhelpful self so called number 3..........

Cost 99 euro return ................:thumb:.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Here is a comparison in ferry fares.

Spain to Morocco, 20 miles, 300 euros, 3 hours

Portugal to Tenerife 15000 miles 600 euros 3 days.

Interesting!

Doug...

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Here is a comparison in ferry fares.

Spain to Morocco, 20 miles, 300 euros, 3 hours

Portugal to Tenerife 15000 miles 600 euros 3 days.

Interesting!

Doug...
Cheers Doug, shame you could not divulge that information when I originally asked instead of refering me to some book you were purportedly writing. fifteen thousand miles you circumnavigate the world first or what, hee hee

Last edited:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Cheers Doug, shame you could not divulge that information when I originally asked instead of refering me to some book you were purportedly writing. fifteen thousand miles you circumnavigate the world first or what, hee hee

A competent surfer could find that information in 2 min flat. there is no copyright on it!

Would you like some instructions on how to surf the web? hee hee.

Doug...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back