Spain.. Campsites silly prices and half empty ! (1 Viewer)

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Been to visit friends at camping ElRaco in Benidorm..
Prices generally in Spain are very high in summer BUT the pitches on the site are at a guess 30 - 40% empty :Doh:

I asked about putting my van for parking only on a pitch but no way would they move from full summer rates... !!

There are 2 camper parks nearby, within 300mtrs of each other..
One offered parking at €2 a day and the other €3 a day thats a big percentage difference and in reality neither offers any more than the other. It's just a parking spot on dusty gravel up a hot dry county lane. Miles from the bus stop..

Hey .. I think this is my first "rant". :shout:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Those that full timed on La Toretta all year round had to up sticks and vacate there pitch in July and August as the price doubled then. Went from 400 Euros per month to 800 Euros. The place was empty except for a few Spanish in July and August.

I was of the opinion they did it to stop anyone claiming residency.

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Why would anybody fulltime at La Torreta, the place is a tip !

€800 a month..... incredible ! The only point in favour (IMO) is the short walk to the bus stop and a slightly longer walk to the beach, stayed twice because friends wanted to be there..... never again !

Regards, Bryan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
So are you saying that the site el raco is empty because of increased summer prices.........or other reasons ?

barry

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
i would say for the price i was gonna stay there in February on my way back from Portugal and even then their winter price was expensive they are not acsi or anything else as far as i know and yet the others nearby was around half the price they wanted

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
In May this year we spent 3/4 quiet, peaceful days at another site in Benidorm, very good facilities, spotlessly clean and generous sized pitches and if you want it ............. bingo and karaoke !:ROFLMAO:

Not really within walking distance of anywhere but well served by bus which stops outside camp. Where is this haven of tranquility?

Camping Benisol, highly recommend it. ACSI rates at appropriate times of year.

http://www.campingbenisol.com/en/

Regards, Bryan

PS: Would say it was about 80% occupancy, large (ish) Brit
community.

B

Last edited:
OP
OP
tonka

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
So are you saying that the site el raco is empty because of increased summer prices.........or other reasons ?

barry

Not really..
Just passing comment as general opinion is that When anyone on the forum asks about maybe going to Spain in July or August, one of the standard answers is that its Very epensive and sites are packed. !!
Now that I am actually here I am shocked how quiet this particular site seems to be, yet they still charge their highest prices....

Deleted User
Been to visit friends at camping ElRaco in Benidorm..
Prices generally in Spain are very high in summer BUT the pitches on the site are at a guess 30 - 40% empty :Doh:

[HI]I asked about putting my van for parking only on a pitch but no way would they move from full summer rates... !! [/HI]

There are 2 camper parks nearby, within 300mtrs of each other..
One offered parking at €2 a day and the other €3 a day thats a big percentage difference and in reality neither offers any more than the other. It's just a parking spot on dusty gravel up a hot dry county lane. Miles from the bus stop..

Hey .. I think this is my first "rant". :shout:

I have noticed over the years that Spanish logic seems to work along the lines of ' if we have fewer customers then we must increase the price to compensate'

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
In May this year we spent 3/4 quiet, peaceful days at another site in Benidorm, very good facilities, spotlessly clean and generous sized pitches and if you want it ............. bingo and karaoke !:ROFLMAO:

Not really within walking distance of anywhere but well served by bus which stops outside camp. Where is this haven of tranquility?

Camping Benisol, highly recommend it. ACSI rates at appropriate times of year.

http://www.campingbenisol.com/en/

Regards, Bryan

PS: Would say it was about 80% occupancy, large (ish) Brit
community.

B

i stayed there in feb yet then it was like a refugee camp but still a good site to stay on and like u said the bus is just outside the gate 14 euro we paid and the bar and restaurant although nothing grand was great and cheap prices
i think we met bryan on Camping Armanello in july me and pete (knuckledragger) how are you both

Whatton

Free Member
Apr 30, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
Why would anyone want to be anywhere near Benidorm? Isn't the place a British expat ghetto, full of beered up, retired dole scum? :Sad:

OP
OP
tonka

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Why would anyone want to be anywhere near Benidorm? Isn't the place a British expat ghetto, full of beered up, retired dole scum? :Sad:

BECAUSE ,! some of us do actually like it :thumb:
It's a simple as that, it's not everyones "cup of tea"

I can only assume you have not been,, Yes, areas and times of the year can be like that BUT even that same area chances and in Winter is full of "mature" people out for social evenings and entertainment.
You dont even have to go anywhere near that side, Benidorm has a wonderful beach and surrounding countryside etc..

At present the place is full of Spanish having sensible family holidays. ::bigsmile:

Aug 21, 2008
skegness
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
Benidorm

Have you ever been or is this just your oppinion:Angry:

Alan

OP
OP
tonka

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
It was a question related to my perception of the place and it's ilk.

Really.... do not judge by press articles etc....
My son and wife are not drinkers and dont stay out late. They came here a few weeks ago for first time and loved it. Have already booked new flights and will be here again is 3 weeks.. Time of year can make a big difference.
The "mad" area is called the Englisg Square, go in May june and yes it's full of lager louts, stag and hen parties.. Come November and it's full of pensioner and Funsters.. ::bigsmile:

Sep 14, 2009
uffculm mid devon
Funster No
MH
swift royale 59
Exp
Scum

Excuse Me i'm retired & i stay in benidorm in the winter & beleive me i am certainley not retiired dole scum & niether are all my retired pals i find your remarks very offensive & i think you should withdraw that remark

Whatton

Free Member
Apr 30, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
Excuse Me i'm retired & i stay in benidorm in the winter & beleive me i am certainley not retiired dole scum & niether are all my retired pals i find your remarks very offensive & i think you should withdraw that remark

Again, it's a question, not a remark or a statement or a fact :Doh:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
My son and wife are not drinkers and dont stay out late. They came here a few weeks ago for first time and loved it. Have already booked new flights and will be here again is 3 weeks.. Time of year can make a big difference.
The "mad" area is called the Englisg Square, go in May june and yes it's full of lager louts, stag and hen parties.. Come November and it's full of pensioner and Funsters.. ::bigsmile:

So, avoid in November then?

Whatton

Free Member
Apr 30, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm

Thanks, it seems I've been misled by the reality shows and press coverage. I've ridden my motorbike through the place on my way back from a Moroccan tour and it looked rough, but I could have been in the wrong bit.

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
I have noticed over the years that Spanish logic seems to work along the lines of ' if we have fewer customers then we must increase the price to compensate'

They must have gone to the same business school as the people who run the railway and buses here in the UK as they do exactly the same when passenger numbers fall. :Doh:

OP
OP
tonka

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
So, avoid in November then?

iF your a red blooded male it's the best time..
All the bars do "grab a granny" night every night :thumb:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OH.. I can see I will get some stick for that.. :Doh:

Deleted User
We have never camped in or near Benidorm but have had several very enjoyable week long winter breaks there in the past. Our opinion is that if you can't find something you like there you must be hard to please.Superb tapas bars in the old town, cheap breakfasts, cheap beer, cheap chinese, afternoon 'tea' dances though I suspect there is not much tea involved with the Spanish participants.:Smile:

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years

I take it you have never been there...but don't let the facts cloud your judgement.
Its a great place ......wonderful walks .great beaches and food of every type
from fast to top quality.
Good shopping .....great parks and a wonderful promenade.

Yes there is one very small area that is full of embarrassing and sadly mainly british very pink
drunk bald fat and covered in tattoos types ( and that's just the women)
but you don't have to go there.

Benidorm is really a great place.....

barry

Last edited:

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
i stayed there in feb yet then it was like a refugee camp but still a good site to stay on and like u said the bus is just outside the gate 14 euro we paid and the bar and restaurant although nothing grand was great and cheap prices
i think we met bryan on Camping Armanello in july me and pete (knuckledragger) how are you both

Sorry, must have another good lookin' couple, never been to Armanello..... we were in Rome in July

Regards, Bryan

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp

I wonder just how many people believe that is typical Benidorm
we went for 1 week in the mad area and I said I would never go back again
but after reading comments on here I just feel we missed so much by never exploring out of the looney area
so we are going back for a look with eyes open
maybe next year on way back from morocco

Spottycatz

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Racodorm
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low Profile
Exp
Still making mistakes! But they're not as costly.
When I was younger, my mum and dad went to Beni every year, 70's and 80's. I always looked down on the fact they went there and then, on my 50th, I said to Jacky, lets go to Benidorm and party for a few days.

It is now one of our favourite places and we normally stay in the old town., which is as Spanish as anywhere in Spain.

We will be back there again with the van in a month or so. I love Beni. There's no snobs! :thumb:

MrMotorhome

Funster
Deceased RIP
May 19, 2009
Funster No
Can you all please stop posting how wonderful Beni is ..........it's our well kept secret and we do not want the riff raff coming! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back