Southwold Motorhome Ban – Or maybe not now (1 Viewer)

Andrew and Shirley

Free Member
Nov 1, 2008
Alfaz Del Pi Spain
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Many
Southwold Motorhome Ban – Or maybe not now

Today I took up the poison chalice to represent motorhome owners following further adverse publicity which will result in the proposed ban on overnight parking in Southwold.

I met (off the record) with Suffolk County Council and put forward a case why overnight parking should not be banned.

After a very honest and frank meeting Suffolk County Council put forward a proposal to allow between 6-8 spaces for overnight parking which includes sleeping, cooking etc.

They have further invite me to meet with Waveney District Council to look at another 10+ spaces nearby. The only problem with this is that the District Council own the local campsite, so clearly could have a conflict of interest.

My next project is to meet with the very awkward Ipswich Borough Council, which have up to 100 potential spaces, right in the Town Centre. Presently the regulations allow HGV’s to eat, sleep and cook in their vehicles but not motorhomes. Watch this space.

If anyone locally would like to help me with the overall issue of overnight motorhome parking in Suffolk, please feel free to PM me.

Scotties

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
Well done, we used spend regular wisits to Aldeburgh nearby (now we take our custom elsewhere), about time someone talked some sense to these people,:thumb:

Regards Richard

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
We live near Stoke by Nayland (Leavenheath) - wouldn't mind helping out. Problem is.....I'm in Tokyo just right now - back next week.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Andrew and Shirley, well done! Not surprised about Ipswich council, some ok guys but a lot of jobsworths can only wish you the best of luck dealing with them.

Curious as to where 100 odd site for motorhomes in the town centre are though? if your thinking of Cox lane and the adjacent one behind the now defunct woolies, I wouldn't feel safe myself sleeping there due to the close proximity of the night clubs, a better place might be one of the three park and rides, although only the one Tesco doesn't have a height barrier they all have toilets, so water and dump facilities wouldn't be a problem.

The one at the Anglia retail park, that's the one near ASDA is close to a travellers site so might be a bit iffy.

Olley

sandyketton

Free Member
Aug 29, 2007
South West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Eight years but ten years tugging in an earlier life
Thank you Andrew and Shirley. Well done.
It's nice to know that SCC are listening but as you say it's the boroughs/districts that are deaf.
Sandy

OP
OP
Andrew and Shirley

Andrew and Shirley

Free Member
Nov 1, 2008
Alfaz Del Pi Spain
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Many
Olley

I managed to get the barrier at Tesco removed despite concerns about travellers.
We are discussing making this an aires but one has to take things slowly.

As for the sites, the first one is in Portman Road opp The Cobbold Stand which we have asked for 5-10 spaces.
Next the newly proposed lorry park
Land up at Asda on Whitehouse Ind
Nacton - On the private estate on the old Ransomes Euro Park

If I get the Boro to gives just one and prove its worth the next will follow.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Cannot be any help as I tend towards the volatile at these meetings ( I have little time for fools or those with their heads up their own importance ) but I do wish you well with it..

Perhaps we could organise a bit of a club together to cover expenses ? No idea of the protocol on here so if I am out of order please feel free to delete the post..
I have no personal interest as Richard ( Villageguitars ) goes there so it must be a REALLY boring place but it is important and a few beer tokens chucked in the pot to help cover your x's will not break even my meagre bank ! ::bigsmile:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Hi Andrew and Shirley it sounds like you are doing a grand job, Is it their intension in Southwold to ban all motor homes from any overnight stops or are we still able to stay on the council run site in the town.
The biggest loss on the Suffolk coast was the Aldeburgh ban. If you could do anything about that one it would make a lot of people very happy.:thumb:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I've heard of Waveney DC before - in connection with a beach - and what I heard does not make me particularly hopeful, I have to say.

How is this campaign going?

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
Well done Andrew & Shirley

Unfortunately I'm not in Suffolk for a while but I'll keep watching this thread and let you know. I could write a letter if that would help. Just give us the details, who to and maybe a rough idea of what to say.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back