johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
All, have you or anyone you know travelled through here recently..(last year or two)

Southern Thai / Northern Malaysia...

its supposed to be a bit 'hot' .. any thoughts welcomed :)

John

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Been down as far as Phuket, was okay in December/January. I know they have a rainy time about November.

Get a weather chart then you will see, watch out for humidity thats the hardwork.

Thailand is wonderful, the food is fantastic, and the people are happy to make you feel special.

Go for it.

Pat

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
johng

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
:ROFLMAO: THanks so much Pat ::bigsmile:

but er I meant 'hot' as in.. terrorism, insurgencies... particular the final 4 regions to the Malay border , sorry should have been clearer...

I was half thinking of backpacking down there soon, alone, just wondering who to leave my chevy to ?

xxxxxxxxx

Last edited:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
interested in this to, as my daugter is on a gap year and heading down that way next march:Sad:

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
:ROFLMAO: THanks so much Pat ::bigsmile:

but er I meant 'hot' as in.. terrorism, insurgencies... particular the final 4 regions to the Malay border , sorry should have been clearer...

I was half thinking of backpacking down there soon, alone, just wondering who to leave my chevy to ?

xxxxxxxxx

Sorry about that, it could also been known to be hot sexually, but I didnt go into that.
Sorry I did a tour of Thailand but that was from Bankgok up to Chang Rei, not quite back packing though, but on a crotchety old bus, which kept braking down, and the poor old driver who had to get out of his pressed silk suit which was very shiney for the years of wearing it, to fix it. He slept on the bus at night too.

Good luck to you mate I like adventurous people, life is for living so get out there and do it.

Dont worry , you can leave your chevy to me I am sure I will get a bob or two from it.
Long as their is some money stuck down the couch or under the mattress that it:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Regards Pat

Last edited:
OP
OP
johng

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
:ROFLMAO: deal Pat

Dave thanks. the FCO makes for traumatic reading, I went through it yesterday.. I didnt realise how censored Thai was too.. so someone told me last night...

well the flight is booked, Early December.. :) nice knowing y'all

OP
OP
johng

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
a friend just got told this by someonwho who is Thai and lives there

She says the trouble in the south of Thailand is between Thais and she hasn't heard of any tourists getting mixed up in it. It is the cheapest way to get from Thailand to Malay which is why people do it but flights can be very cheap too. She suggests going overland from Bangkok to Phuket and fly out from there

dunno what i am worrying about ::bigsmile: probably more dangerous going out for a night in Swansea ;)

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Hi, just a thought I have a friend travelling around out that way at the moment, I will try and contact him via Facebook, and let you know my findings.

Catch you later

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
My best mate has travelled all over the world, lived in Thailand for a while before moving to Cambodia where he has lived for the past few years.
He says about Thailand and Cambodia that he has never lived anywhere where he felt so comfortable and where the people were so friendly.

He rents a house, feeds his family (wife and child), has broadband and Sky television and lives on about 100 US dollars a month!

silverbike

Free Member
May 13, 2008
Funster No
Try Lonely Planet's 'Thorntree' site for information on these areas. You can also ask specific questions there.

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Hi - we are off to Malaysia in a couple of weeks. Booked a return flight to Kuarla Lumpur (£240!) and 3 nights in a guest houst (£47 for 3nights double room!) and then a flight on to Hanoi in Vietnam (£45!).
We being hubby and a married couple of friends all of us in our middle 50's. We first went to Thailand about 9 years ago and loved it, have been back a couple of time since. Two years ago we ventured into Vietnam and Cambodia for a month, we travelled around using the backpackers buses etc and loved it. Ended up back in Thailand but found it had become more touristy now as so many people were visiting they had become more geared up for the tourists whereas Vietnam was like Thailand was 9 years ago. We are going to visit Laos this time before flying back to Malaysia for flight home at end of Novemeber. Never come across any violence or unrest on our travels.
Can do with a break - we've had our Range Rover stolen on Sunday from the drive of our house. They entered through the front door & took spare key whilst we were in bed so feeling a bit miserable at the moment!!!!

OP
OP
johng

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
:Sad:sorry to hear that Jaygee

yes thought of Cambodia, Vietnam :)

basically all i know is i land in BK 8th Dec and need to get to Singapore for 6th Jan :)

need to think about flying into Thai and not flying out, may cause issues at Heathrow or when I land.,,,

I am a lot less worried already ::bigsmile:

J G

andycotterell

Free Member
Apr 13, 2009
Europe-wide
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
need to think about flying into Thai and not flying out, may cause issues at Heathrow or when I land.,,,

I am a lot less worried already ::bigsmile:

J G

You'll be Ok at Heathrow (assuming that you're an EU passport holder) as they don't check exit visas, since they have to let you in regardless. Within Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore though it's very important to make sure you get the right entry and exit stamps or you could get into trouble. A friend and I walked across the bridge from Singapore to Malaysia and somehow missed the Malaysian immigration post (which is surprisingly easy to do on foot) and had a lot of trouble getting out of Malaysia again.

There are occasional, often unreported terrorist incidents in the South but, as others have pointed out, it's never aimed at tourists. It's worth checking the situation en-route within Thailand though, since there's sometimes large-scale police crackdowns down there that you wouldn't want to stumble into.
More of a concern could be the weather. Although you're going during the Thai "hot" season (the others being the "very hot season", the "very humid season" and the "very wet season", in that order) the seasons are different on the eastern side of the southern peninsular so you can get heavy rain during December and January. It's also worth bearing in mind that the south is noticeably Muslim, so there's a different set of sensibilities from those you'll encounter in Bangkok etc..

Based on my experience of living in and visiting Thailand, my number one tip for you would be to definitely not go where all the other backpackers go, especially in Bangkok (i.e. Khao San Road) as you'll be isolated from a lot of the the more "normal" Thai things and risk being a target of the police when they're running behind on their drug seizure quotas, regardless of whether it's something you're involved in or not. You don't have to travel far, even in Bangkok, to get away from the tourist trail, and it's well worth doing.

Having said all that, it's almost impossible to not have a good time in Thailand. The biggest problem that most people face in Thailand, if they're on a multi-country trip, is not wanting to ever leave.

If you need any more info feel free to get in touch.

Andy

Sep 29, 2009
Heybrook Bay, Plymouth, UK
Funster No
MH
LeVoyageur 950 LVX
Exp
Always learning...
Finally something I feel qualified to contribute to. :thumb:

There is undoubtedly some tension in the south (particularly the lower 4 provinces) but it's sporadic and certainly not targeted at foreigners. I've done the overland trip to the MotoGP in Malaysia with no issues...it's a pretty standard trip. I assume you already know that it's quite a long way (about 15 hours comfortable driving) to the Malay border? Alternatively there is the train and flights are quite cheap now with the low cost airlines.

Plenty of travelers use Bangkok as a hub to visit other countries as it's cheap and easy, just make sure you get stamped in/out. Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos are similar in ways to upcountry Thailand (i.e. not Bangkok) but different enough to be well worth visiting. HK and Nepal are only a few hours away.

Relax and have a great trip.

If you need any more info feel free to PM.

Happy travels
Andy

OP
OP
johng

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
thanks two Andys, very useful :Smile:

yep the reason I picked overland was to see a bit, off the beaten track.. Same for Malaysia etc.. I have plenty of time to make the trip to SP, well about 4 weeks..

I then have to put up with OZ and NZ for two months, and fiji for a rest for a fortnight.. its tough out there..

::bigsmile:

may well pm you with more

John

OP
OP
johng

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
I am BACK :ROFLMAO:

nice winter was it?

got pretty fed up with 30+ for 90 days :cry:

:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
johng

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
all fine Pat..

biggest danger by far is sitting under a hammock, in Fiji, with coconuts above !

::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back