South of France Coastline wild motorhoming

Discussion in 'Europe' started by ormy73, Jun 19, 2011.

1. ormy73

ormy73 Read Only Funster

HI everyone new to forum..... taking 5 weeks to travel around France with family Mum Dad 3 yr old Can anyone help with wild campsites with nice sea views etc that accept motorhomes on the south coast of France, as 1st time traveling around europe and any help would be awsome....

Thanks Ormy

ps also posted on site about best route to get to south.....

2. Oldroadies

Oldroadies Read Only Funster

Hi,
    we just went down to Provence & the Cote d'Azur this April, it is over 10 years since we had travelled down that far (the last time as Tuggers) and I would say that they are not overly motorhome friendly with regards to wild camping or even parking for motorhomes down there and not too many Aires either. One motorhome Aire we stayed on was 12euro a night and off season was quite pleasant being across the road from the sea, but in the height of summer you would be packed in like sardines. The campsites right down on the coast are a lot more expensive than the rest of France, typically 30-40euros a night for 2 + hookup in high season and they charge everywhere for dogs - some as much as 4euros (but no charge off season), the scenery is lovely but quite honestly we preferred the Hautes Provence region and drove down the Route Napoleon from Grenoble through Gap and down to Grasse, there are plenty of Aires along this route. The grande Canyon du Verdon is worth a stop and there is also an Aire there. The coast around the area of Cassis (near La Ciotat) was stunning with the highest cliffs in Europe - but a bit hairy coming down into the town of Cassis with a gradient of about 1 in 4 for 2.5 kilometers !
    Enjoy your travels:thumb:

• Like Like x 3
  3. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

Don't know if you'll cross Toulouse on your way but you can have a free stopover at my place, with water, electricity and wifi . No sea or beach sorry only a safe place for the night :BigGrin::Wink:

If you want to have an idea of the Verdon area, go on my profile and you will find an album with a few pics of my son Yannick , in Verdon

You can see him as well climbing the famous Calanques in Marseilles area. Stunning pics!

Anyway enjoy your travel in my country and don't forget to ask for my mobile number in a PM if you think you 'll feel more secure with it!

Amicalement

Frankie:BigGrin::BigGrin:

OOPS just saw on your other thread the dates of your travel SO keep in mind i won't be home from the 2sd to the 29th of august !!!!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  4. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Steep shoreline, mega expensive resorts, you're on a loser there.

• Like Like x 1
  5. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

Yep!

Even the odd Aires that are there are disgusting and full of Itinerants

Ten years or so it was different but last year we went to a aire just outside Narbonne, that we have fond memories of, camping under the stars on the beach on the Med.

Now it smells like a toilet, some dirty old cow with a grey vest (was white) (and I say cow as she had udders hanging out from under each armpit) The fag hanging out from the corner of her mouth finished the effect, operated some kind of home made "toll gate" to get in an out and once in, a more filthly group of motorhomers and caravanners you wouldn't want to meet.

We left, drove ten miles down the road happily paid the going rate, had electric, water and didn't worry that some one would try and eat our dog over night!

Eddie

• Like Like x 1
  6. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

The Med coastline on the dates you have in mind are best avoided these days, as has been pointed out above.

If you are prepared to sacrifice the coastline for a bit more inland, then it's a whole different story in the Var and Provence regions.

7. JJ

JJ Funster

Do you have the GPS position for this aire... it sounds perfect for me... :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

JJ

PS... was the lady taking the money single? :Wink: :Wink:

PPS. I had the great good fortune to tour this area in 1969... it was a joy... we slept on the beach (the beach cafe owner woke us with cups of coffee)... we pitched a tent in the pine trees... it was splendid... went back twenty years later... all bought up and converted into private areas...

• Like Like x 2
  8. ifearnobeer

ifearnobeer Read Only Funster

That was no lady that was my wife

9. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

If you download camper contact, you can use without wifi. Cost about a fiver but gives you campsites and wilding places.

10. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Agree with above.. it's too busy, too expensive, too hot ...

the Atlantic coast is far nicer, great weather without the oppressive heat, and there are literally dozens if not hundreds of camping car aires .. many free .. it's not so hot and not nearly as busy.. many also right on the beach..

for aires, as suggested.. Campercontact .. use on-line or download the app.. and the maps to use off line.. the small annual fee is well worth it

also look a Campingcarinfos.. it has a free app.. but needs a data connection..

and also buy one of the many Camping Car Aires books.. available in most French supermakets, newsagent and bookshops..

I see you are now a 'read only ' member.. the £10 subs to be a full member and ask as many questions as you like..

probably the best ten quid investment you could make..

edit.. why do I not read the OP date before posting.. ormy73 Jun 19, 2011 :rolleyes:

I just hate necroposting :(

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  11. gillnphil

gillnphil Funster

If you are down tha Verdon area, there is a nice quiet clean aire at Moustiere St Marie, a very pretty but touristy villiage.
    Also Gruissan on the coast, 2 aires, one on the port and one on the coast. And there were a few undesirables but no trouble.
    Phil

12. chaser

chaser Funster

As I posted in another thread , you can park for free at the old customs post in menton, but other than that , wilding, aires and even France passion are very thin on the ground down there , plenty VERY expensive campsites.
    But why are we talking about this now when the op was going in 2011.
    Pic of the 'aire' below image.jpg