Banned - Rule 1
Banned
Aug 5, 2010
SOUTH AND FRANCE
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
i was talking to a friend in the know today,and she says the con/dems are going to re evalueate the class of road tax and insurance cat ...on motor homes including 5ers and caravans and any vech in certain cats >> i will explain in another post ,,,but any one heard about this :whatthe::whatthe:

edgy

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 25, 2011
bolton lancs
Funster No
MH
lo line
Exp
"I,m a newbie
tax

I have not heard of this but i suppose it depends on how many politicians own motorhomes or caravans as to wether it goes up or down.:shout: Sorry am i being too synical

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Just googled to see if I can find anything. nothing yet.
What have you heard?

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Well, well! Haven't heard anything about this yet........however, nothing suprises me:Angry:

It seems like this government will stop at nothing to screw as much money as possible out of us all, motorists or anyone driving any motor vehicle............we're all doomed methinks!:Blush:

The poor motorist is always an easy target:Angry:

The latest idea floated by our politicians and police in Scotland, appears to be the notion of rolling out "breakfast" road blocks for breathalyzing motorists as they make their way to work and wherever else they're on their way to:Angry:

Everyone driving a motor vehicle is presumed to be guilty of being over the limit until the police can prove otherwise. Don't get me wrong, there is no case for drinking and driving, but shouldn't people be allowed to go about their business without this heavy-handed measure?

This is if it gets through the Scottish Parliament.

Rant over:Angry:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
I remember hearing years ago that MP Margaret Beckett was a tugger!

Imagine if she became a funster:Eeek::Eeek:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Well, well! Haven't heard anything about this yet........however, nothing suprises me:Angry:

It seems like this government will stop at nothing to screw as much money as possible out of us all, motorists or anyone driving any motor vehicle............we're all doomed methinks!:Blush:

The latest idea floated by our politicians and police in Scotland, appears to be the notion of rolling out "breakfast" road blocks for breathalyzing motorists as they make their way to work and wherever else they're on their way to:Angry:

Everyone driving a motor vehicle is presumed to be guilty of being over the limit until the police can prove otherwise. Don't get me wrong, there is no case for drinking and driving, but[HI] shouldn't people be allowed to go about their business without this heavy-handed measure?[/HI]

Morning.. sorry, but I disagree..

yes they should.. but the law abiding motorist also has rights.. .. the right to drive without fear of a drunk hitting and perhaps killing them..

I welcome any measure that can cut down the number of alcohol related accidents.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I have not heard of this but i suppose it depends on how many politicians own motorhomes or caravans as to wether it goes up or down.:shout: Sorry am i being too synical

When dealing with politicians you can never be too cynical.

Doug...

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
A local policewoman has just been in the paper she turned up for work after a night out and someone noticed she looked a bit hungover so before she could drive off one of the other coppers gave her the blow into this routine result one lost job and a driving ban and a big fine this was a night before few drinks.So yes stop me when you like if it saves someones life, the only thing I would say is why do the same people keep getting caught time and time again ? Maybe they are to soft on them

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I remember hearing years ago that MP Margaret Beckett was a tugger!

Imagine [HI]if she became a funster[/HI]:Eeek::Eeek:

Err, I think she already is.............

...............................I put it to you Gentlemen and Ladies...........Have any of you,

be honest, ever seen Margaret Beckett and ShiftZZ (Hilda) in the same room.......

.....................I rest my case........Griff

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I did read a few days ago that the intent seems to be on certain types of vehicles.

Caravans and motorhomes that are made in the Euro zone are going to have a one off payment levied on them, like the Bankers tax. As we all know these luxury vehicles are the toys of the wealthy.

Once this payment has been made, you will get an exemption certificate to prove that the levy has been paid and it will allow you to sell the Caravan/motorhome. You won't be allowed onto camp sites without the exemption certificate.

The Spanish did some thing different a while back with Marinas :Angry: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...ing-in-Spain-face-massive-taxes-on-boats.html

This will not apply to caravans and motorhomes built outside the Eurozone so all of us with American RV's will be fine. The have been made exempt because of the clean green credentials and the fact that they're normally driven by extremely decent chaps and chap'ess's

By now you'll realise that I have made this up to cheer us all up waiting for the sun to return. My defence? this is Motorhome FUN!:thumb:

Eddie

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I did read a few days ago that the intent seems to be on certain types of vehicles.

Caravans and motorhomes that are made in the Euro zone are going to have a one off payment levied on them, like the Bankers tax. As we all know these luxury vehicles are the toys of the wealthy.

Once this payment has been made, you will get an exemption certificate to prove that the levy has been paid and it will allow you to sell the Caravan/motorhome. You won't be allowed onto camp sites without the exemption certificate.

The Spanish did some thing different a while back with Marinas :Angry: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...ing-in-Spain-face-massive-taxes-on-boats.html

This will not apply to caravans and motorhomes built outside the Eurozone so all of us with American RV's will be fine. The have been made exempt because of the clean green credentials and the fact that they're normally driven by extremely decent chaps and chap'ess's

By now you'll realise that I have made this up to cheer us all up waiting for the sun to return. My defence? this is Motorhome FUN!:thumb:

Eddie

The sun is here as other funsters down this way will agree ::bigsmile:::bigsmile::thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Having Met Edwina I quite like her..
She may not come across as a people person but what she did for local communities in Norfolk ( and almost always out of site of the press ) made her one politician who will always get my vote :thumb:

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp

Everyone driving a motor vehicle is presumed to be guilty of being over the limit until the police can prove otherwise. Don't get me wrong, there is no case for drinking and driving, but shouldn't people be allowed to go about their business without this heavy-handed measure?

with the police it has allays been guilty until proved innocent
my home went up in flames a few years ago
the police arrested me and accused me of setting my home on fire to defraud the insurance company

locked in a cell for 12 hours then 5 hours recorded interview all very stressful then a seven week investigation only to say "we can not prove you did it" may be because i was not involved in do such a thing
they could not pin it on me

they are a law unto them selves in this country

I for one do not trust the police

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
with the police it has allays been guilty until proved innocent
my home went up in flames a few years ago
the police arrested me and accused me of setting my home on fire to defraud the insurance company

locked in a cell for 12 hours then 5 hours recorded interview all very stressful then a seven week investigation only to say "we can not prove you did it" may be because i was not involved in do such a thing
they could not pin it on me

they are a law unto them selves in this country

I for one do not trust the police

A wise precaution.

Doug...

OP
OP
N

niggle

Banned - Rule 1
Banned
Aug 5, 2010
SOUTH AND FRANCE
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
ah well no one has heard what i did from a uni researcher 2 days ago then ,,, looks like i will put it on here later after i talk to another about it
:whatthe::whatthe::whatthe::whatthe::whatthe:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
She may not come across as a people person but what she did for local communities in Norfolk ( and almost always out of site of the press ) made her one politician who will always get my vote :thumb:

Well she was my MP for ages here and she was hated she is a :censored:2:moon2:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
i was talking to a friend in the know today,and she says the con/dems are going to re evalueate the class of road tax and insurance cat ...on motor homes including 5ers and caravans and any vech in certain cats >> i will explain in another post ,,,but any one heard about this :whatthe::whatthe:

As with many others, this thread has lost its way.
One thing is for certain: if the current clowns "re evaluate" tax etc., it will go up. No point spending money to lower it?
Wait and see.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Morning.. sorry, but I disagree..

yes they should.. but the law abiding motorist also has rights.. .. the right to drive without fear of a drunk hitting and perhaps killing them..

I welcome any measure that can cut down the number of alcohol related accidents.

Yes, Jim I certainly agree with you that the law abiding motorist has a right to drive without fear of being hit by a drunk and being killed. The same for people who drive under the influence of drugs, because that's just as bad as drink-driving around our local area.

I have absolutely nothing against the police stopping any motorist "at random" or if they have good reason to do so. After all, anyone caught over the limit deserves to have the book thrown at them. :thumb:

But this new initiative of "breakfast roadblocks" seems to be heavy-handed to say the least and where do they draw the line? Do you stop people in the street in case they're carrying a knife or drugs? The possibilities are endless, but it seems like another erosion of liberties.

I would say that more people are killed on roads by wreckless driving/speeding than actually being over the limit.

But I feel too, that it's not just a "drink-driving" issue, it's getting down to the government looking for another way to screw money out of us all, especially the motorist. The motorist will always be an easy target.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I think if one of your family was killed by a drunk driver you may have a slightly different opinion and in the inner cities people are stopped and searched all the time for drugs and weapons

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011

Maybe she was just trying to "curry favour" with the locals...............::bigsmile:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
I think if one of your family was killed by a drunk driver you may have a slightly different opinion and in the inner cities people are stopped and searched all the time for drugs and weapons

If you read back through the part of my post highlighted in blue, you will see that I wholeheartedly agree with the police stopping and catching any motorist for drink-driving! But accidents are also caused by speeding and wreckless driving, not always through drink-driving, but also carelessness, misjudging, lack of experience (boy racers), and simply taking chances that should not be taken. I am sure there are just as many fatalities are a result of these accidents, but how do you stop that?

It's the presumption that everyone who gets behind the wheel "could" have been drink-driving, that annoys us. Unfortunately, we have been on the receiving end of someone driving too close to us without full concentration on the M25 some years back. This resulted in very serious consequences for our whole family.

I really do sympathise with anyone who has lost someone in a drink-driving accident, however, I feel that this idea of "breakfast roadblocks" is impinging on the civil liberties of the law-abiding citizen. Using a sledgehammer to crack a nut springs to mind here.

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
really do sympathise with anyone who has lost someone in a drink-driving accident, however, I feel that this idea of "breakfast roadblocks" is impinging on the civil liberties of the law-abiding citizen. Using a sledgehammer to crack a nut springs to mind here.
Totally Agree!

OP
OP
N

niggle

Banned - Rule 1
Banned
Aug 5, 2010
SOUTH AND FRANCE
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp

THIS POST GOT HI JACKED OR LOST ITS WAY ??? :Eeek::Eeek:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
THIS POST GOT HI JACKED OR LOST ITS WAY ??? :Eeek::Eeek:

Both mate.
It began as an indication that taxes on MHs may be revised / instigated, but has turned into a thread about drink driving / enforcing anti drink driving rules / motorists rights / Edwina Curry fan club.
What has any of that to do with MH taxes?

Confused of Lincolnshire.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back