Sorry been away for a short while- Help please

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Helga, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Helga

Helga Read Only Funster

Hi There I don't suppose anyone on here knows much about Myeloma? Unfortunately my health has taken a bit of a back step scuppering any travel plans we have had!
    just thought it worth an ask.
    Deborah (aka Helga)

2. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

• Like Like x 1
  3. Helga

Helga Read Only Funster

Unfortunately I am now well in the throws of this nasty disease and lots of things have happened very quickly. I got the diagnosis last Monday 3 days before my 50th birthday!. I am being looked after by UCLH which is one of the best hospitals so thats one good thing. Its just such a shame and both Colin and I were really looking forward to getting away in our motorhome this year. I just wondered if any one else navigated Myeloma and motor homing?
    Deb

4. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

Hi Deborah
    Very sorry to hear this, I don't have any advise more than Peters, but the internet is your friend and so are we here on fun, do hope you feel better soon:Wink:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

6. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

Deborah,

So sorry to hear your news.

7. Philcott

Philcott Read Only Funster

So sorry to hear your news. Hope you manage to get out and about in the MH soon.

8. maz

maz Funster

Very sorry to learn of your health problems. :Sad:

It's not something I know anything about but will be thinking about you and hoping you will soon be out and about in your motorhome. :Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Hi Deb, sorry to hear you are so ill. I would suggest that whilst able to do so trips in the motorhome, even if you have to stay in bed looking out of the window can be beneficial to you as a change of scenery often works wonders for your emotional health. Short trips local to the hospital or whatever may work, just to get some different air. my thoughts are with you.

• Like Like x 2
  10. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

My friend had myeloma years ago, he was told, 'we cannot cure it, but we can control it'.
    Hope you get it under control soon, and start to feel better. Go and enjoy your MH.

Craig

11. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Sorry to hear your news.

I do know someone who has the condition. His wife worked in my firm.

He was diagnosed about 10 years ago and he still walks past my window every lunchtime on the way to the pub:thumb:.

Good luck.

12. BwB

BwB Funster Life Member

My dad had multiple myeloma years ago so the treatment is probably quite different now. However, he was a motorhomer and continued to drive it in between treatments. From what I saw, at the time, it affect people differently so you'll probably need to see how you feel in yourself and then decide if the hobby is still for you.

I don't think you'll have too many problems once you've got passed the first round of treatment. Just don't make any big decisions about motorhoming until you've given it all a bit of time.

Best of luck and best wishes
    Bryan

13. Chas17

Chas17 Funster

I have Myeloma, diagnosed in 2005 during a routine blood test while living in France. Fortunately it has remained in a "plateau/watch and wait" condition since then and has required no action other than a twice yearly blood test and visit to the oncology clinic for a chat with the consultant. There is nothing to be done other than that unless it decides to develop further. Apart from a bit of initial worry (largely internet generated) my life hasn't changed at all.

Mind you having been diagnosed with Non Hodgkins lymphoma in 1982 and being told that I would be lucky to survive more than five years I remain a bit laid back about the outcome.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

What a shock for you, like others don't know about Myeloma, but don't make any decisions yet about the motorhome, see how things go, keep popping onto the forum ask away any questions, I hope the treatment soon gets things under control for you.

15. sedge

sedge Funster

If it's any comfort - my sis has had breast cancer, treated by lumpectomy and removing some lymph nodes and radiotherapy some year sago and it's come back to haunt her with a vengeance; first another breast lump, then they also discovered mets in her liver and spine. Not curable. BUT not un TREATABLE.

They live in Oz and have a 4x4 and caravan and were wont to go walkabout for months at a time.

They still do - except it's shorter trips - because her treatment is arranged round the trips. They will continue doing this for as long as ever possible.

Her doctors are very much in favour of this and support her entirely.

16. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

Keep on truckin !!!!!

I do so agree Roger !! Kay loved just sitting in the back (rear lounge, wouldn't be without it !) watching the world go by ! One trip she particularly enjoyed was the bring and buy meet ! Her sister was over from Australia, we toured a bit of Wales too !!:thumb:

17. dylan

dylan Read Only Funster

Sorry to hear your news, I hope you feel better soon :hug: