soon to purchase!!!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by greenhorn, Jan 23, 2011.

1. greenhorn

greenhorn Read Only Funster

We are looking for all the advice we can before purchasing a motorhome and traveling across europe for 6 months, through France, Holland, Germany and down to Portugal for Christmas. We have looked at a number of used motorhomes and would like to know if anyone knows if there can be problems with a 20 foot long home?

2. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

20ft should be fine. The limit for standard recovery is 19ft - but what they don't know.......(ours similar length has been recovered no worries!)

Not sure about european breakdown is like - that said, it may pay to join the German one, which name escapes me....someone will remember soon!:Doh: and save my embarrasment.

What sort of budget are you looking at? There are a wide variety that fit into that size bracket.

3. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Would help more if we all knew what your budget was, how many berths and age of passengers etc etc.

Peter

4. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

5. lorger

lorger Funster

Hi all i would say is go and have a look at loads of mh at dealers have a sit in them not just for 5mins but a while try lying on the beds as a lot of people have bought then not liked the layout.
    Our vab is 21ft and had no problems we have been to France Belgium Holland Luxenbourg Germany Swisserland Italy and austria so i think you will be ok with similar size

6. rainbow chasers

7. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

8. rainbow chasers

9. Squire

Squire Read Only Funster

Speaking for myself, my problem with a 20ft motorhome to live in for 6 months is that it would be too small ..... :Eeek: I would get cabin fever, especially in winter when you are confined inside for greater times. AND - I would want a fixed bed - it's alright making up the bed every night for a fortnights holiday but it's a chore over 6 months - and anyway my better half suffers migraines and occasionally needs her bed in the middle of the day without rendering the rest of the van unuseable for me.

10. haganap

11. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

To be fair-our van is 5.82mtrs (19ft) We have spent 3 mths in it,and would be quite happy to do 6mths. We have a fixed bed and a curtain which separates bed from living area.
    I sometimes go to bed early and leave Carolyn playing on her computer :BigGrin:

Mike

12. imprint

imprint Read Only Funster

Hi, Greenhorn.

Putting aside the technical chat, all of which I hope is building up some sort of picture for you, two things spring to mind.

First, as someone has already said, go to a dealer or three, tell him or her you' re not yet buying, but can you please be shown various motorhomes in the flesh. It's easy to get a fixed impression before you buy, and stick to it too easily. I'm sure most dealers will help - and if not, walk away. (I've often commented here how good Johns Cross were about this. Not advertising, I'm 600 miles away!)

Second, don't for goodness' sake set out round Europe without some miles, not kilometres, under your belts . Make your first mistakes - we all do -on home turf, when you can at least apologise properly for getting stuck under a low bridge.

All that said, best of luck!

13. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Take a look at some Hymer and similar A-classes. A drop down bed is almost as good as a fixed one and takes up a lot less space when not in use (actually none at all):Smile:

14. Clare

Clare Read Only Funster

15. haganap

16. rainbow chasers

Lets' get this sorted out as everyone seems to be getting confused here!

Recovery

There are two types of recovery - CLUBS, such as AA, ADAC, RAC, GREEN FLAG.

Then there are Insurers, name any of hundereds of insurers - note; safeguard are insurers!

The insurers then resell the CLUBS'/RA'S breakdown insurance with their package as as a carrot. So though your recovery package comes with your vehicle insurance, it is actually owned by and operated by either CLUBS or RECOVERY AGENTS.

CLUBS own their own vehicles...AA, GREEN FLAG, RAC etc - but DO use contractors (add your local recovery operator here) to fulfill the requirements.

RECOVERY AGENTS (ERS, EA,MONDIAL,BRITTANIA etc) do not own their own vehicles - but operate full recovery control and dispatch using a huge base of CONTRACTORS. This gives them greater profits as they have no trucks to operate, they just 'Pay-as-they-go' They call the recovery contractor and state 'One of our clients is here, go get them!'

So when you buy your safeguard insurance, you will be recovered by either a specified club (ie green flag, aa etc) or a contractor sent by either the club OR the recovery agents. Check on your policy to see who you are with - it may be ERS, or whatever. Both are insurance policies, added to an insurance policy as a benefit to buying from an insurer. Your insurer (safeguard for example) being the middleman.:thumb:

Sorry, OP - All I can suggest, is to keep looking at different layouts. The best space in a 20ft motorhome, is usually with an end kitchen, as this will not have huge mid-way toilet /wardrobe compartments that loose the feeling of space!

Don't be afraid of small a-classes, the globestar is quite spacious feeling for a 20ft!